Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2014 2:13:30 PM EDT
I picked up an unfired 2006 era M1A (and five magazines) the other day for a killer price:

The backstory is I have this 1984 SA USGI :

And wanted to put it in this:

I was strongly advised not to change the configuration so I needed to find a suitable a donor rifle.  Life is good, wife is crabby.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:53:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice pair!

FYI,  you could have installed the '84 in the EBR chassis just by swapping out the op rod guide.
It's rather easy to swap op rod guides again if you wanted to return the '84 to the wooden stock.
Swapping shims & the barrel band is also easily done when you are swapping op rod guides.

Also, I see an M14 EBR trigger shoe in your future
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 2:54:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice pair!

FYI,  you could have installed the '84 in the EBR chassis just by swapping out the op rod guide.
It's rather easy to swap op rod guides again if you wanted to return the '84 to the wooden stock.
Swapping shims & the barrel band is also easily done when you are swapping op rod guides.

Also, I see an M14 EBR trigger shoe in your future
View Quote

All the little parts came with the chassis and I was hoping to do the build this weekend.  It has a crush washer, but I'm not sure how it will align with my setup versus being used, so I may need a new crush washer also.  I'll post up some pic along the way.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 8:12:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Nice chassis
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 8:14:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Nice chassis
View Quote

You should know.    But I blame you for my spending...
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 8:22:01 AM EDT
[#5]
For what it's worth, my M1A is early 90's and all USGI as well. I sold the EBR because I wanted to put it in a highly figured USGI birch stock and keep it in somewhat "original" configuration (and I don't have a long enough range ). I would definitely agree with keeping your 1984 USGI rifle as-is and finding another host for the EBR. The fun part is finding an already-accurate host for a screaming deal. Find an M1A that shoots 1-1.5 MOA in a wood or synthetic stock, drop it in an EBR, and it will lay down groups that piss off AR-10 and SCAR 17 owners.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 8:25:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
For what it's worth, my M1A is early 90's and all USGI as well. I sold the EBR because I wanted to put it in a highly figured USGI birch stock and keep it in somewhat "original" configuration (and I don't have a long enough range ). I would definitely agree with keeping your 1984 USGI rifle as-is and finding another host for the EBR. The fun part is finding an already-accurate host for a screaming deal. Find an M1A that shoots 1-1.5 MOA in a wood or synthetic stock, drop it in an EBR, and it will lay down groups that piss off AR-10 and SCAR 17 owners.
View Quote

I will buy said ebr chassis from you, at cheap price, therefore making wife happy again, I'm here to help
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 8:29:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

The E2 shoots better than me:

I'm not sure about the donor rifle, but for the price ($1075), I couldn't pass up the deal.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 8:38:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I will buy said ebr chassis from you, at cheap price, therefore making wife happy again, I'm here to help
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are a true Brother!  For the record, household 6 went shopping and bought some "stuff" as revenge.  She caught me sneaking the new M1A into the house - my plan was good (sneak it in when she's usually yacking on the phone to her sister) but implementation was poor, she was not yacking but instead waiting for me to help with chores - busted!  She then went to Ikea and the antique store and loaded up the van thinking she was getting the better of the deal.  Ha, ha, I won because she didn't know I snuck in more than the rifle.  

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:52:14 AM EDT
[#9]

I think you did well.  An M1A for $1000 is definitely a good deal.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:22:16 AM EDT
[#10]
The finished product:

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 9:45:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Now go forth and shoot it. Range report is obligatory along with pictures of your groups!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top