Author
Posted: 7/30/2013 5:59:12 PM
Just curious what you all think. It's purely a mental exercise since there's no way in hell I can afford either option right now . I've just been jonesing for a Mini-G when it struck me - if I'm ever going to drop that kind of coin, what's the practical difference between the two options (aside from adding a new caliber to the stable)? Is there a clear advantage of one over the other that I'm overlooking?
NE450No2
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/30/2013 9:05:36 PM
[Last Edit: 7/30/2013 9:09:01 PM by NE450No2]
I am a fan of the AR15, and the M1Garand. I have a Tanker Garand.
Here are some random thoughts... With a good 16" AR 15 you can easially have a choice of great optics, making it a valid 500 yard gun, with good ammo of course. It is easy to add lights, they are light weight, easy to shoot/carry, etc. Hold 30 rounds, very quick to reload. Ammo, mags, parts, etc are most every where.

With a Tanker Garand, or a Shuffs Mini G, you have the following advantages. AS a 308 or 30/06, it has a lot more thump, penetration, and wind bucking abiity. But they are very hard to fit optics to.

They only hold 8 rounds, BUT you could have 1000 8 round clips, and thus have 8000 rounds loaded in those clips, or even more.

The Garand is a Classic, fun gun to shoot, and own. I love them...

However IF I could have only ONE for the Bad Days, IT would be a good AR15...

That being said I have many times carried my Tanker Garand, when traveling when going into California to visit friends, or when going on a hunting trip in bear country, as it can double as a spare hunting rifle, where I consider a 223 a "little" light for bear...
KeithC
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/31/2013 10:15:28 AM
Oh, I'm not looking for a "zombie gun" - I've got the AR for that . I'm just wondering what would be a more worthwhile expenditure of $1,500 - a Mini-G or a Springfield SOCOM-16. Both are Garand-style actions. Both are ~ 16" barrels. Both have "thump". Both have similar if not identical ergos and handling characteristics. I'm leaning towards the Mini-G simply because I already own a Garand and have a bunch of M2 ball but I didn't know if the price tag for a Shuff's was worth it when compared to a new Springfield.
H2O_MAN
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/31/2013 10:23:04 AM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By KeithC:
I'm leaning towards the Mini-G simply because I already own a Garand and have a bunch of M2 ball ...

That alone is good enough reason to get a Mini-G
KeithC
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/31/2013 10:40:35 AM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By H2O_MAN:
Originally Posted By KeithC:
I'm leaning towards the Mini-G simply because I already own a Garand and have a bunch of M2 ball ...

That alone is good enough reason to get a Mini-G

It's killing me . Sole income, two single-digit-age kids, crappy economy and the only thing to catch my lust costs a grand and a half. Someday... someday....
Combat_Jack
Green Suited Salaryman
NRAMilitary
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/9/2013 8:33:41 PM
The real advantages of the Mini-G are it's availability in .35 Whelen and that it's 50 state legal.
"Between the wish, and the thing the world lies waiting."
masakari
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/10/2013 12:22:54 AM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By Combat_Jack:
The real advantages of the Mini-G are it's availability in .35 Whelen and that it's 50 state legal.

still legal in NY? im surprised.
but yeah, I have a Garand and a SOCOM, and love both. a Mini-G is on the wish list.
Combat_Jack
Green Suited Salaryman
NRAMilitary
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/10/2013 4:19:32 AM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By masakari:
Originally Posted By Combat_Jack:

still legal in NY? im surprised.
but yeah, I have a Garand and a SOCOM, and love both. a Mini-G is on the wish list.

Might need to reduce the capacity in NY.

"Between the wish, and the thing the world lies waiting."
Ride
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/10/2013 12:46:18 PM
I don't have a SOCOM, but I own a Mini-G and love it. Beautiful rifle and a lot of fun to shoot. Customer service with Tim is top notch as well. Good luck!
captain127
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/10/2013 2:38:11 PM
Garand is still legal In ny. The only rifle we can shoot in a service rifle match that won't need registration next year. I am looking for an affordable beater garand as a base for a mini g as we speak. For us ny people another option is lrb's neutered m14 style rifle but that is priced about the same as two mini g's!
I am hoping SA inc comes out with a more affordable ny compliant option as well