Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/3/2011 5:50:02 AM EDT
Not sure if this is the place to post, but being a gun enthusiast, which one would you buy first?  I have the AR-15 category covered, have Glock handguns, but I'm ready for another step.  I'm looking at the SA M1A loaded with a nice optic for 100+ yrd range, or a mid-level 1911 like a Colt Special combat on up.  I can get both weapon types if I skimp on both, but I'd rather not settle for lesser guns.  One now, and the other in a year or so.  Which one first?
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 6:49:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Well, do you want a rifle or a pistol?

For me, I'd go the rifle route.
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 7:08:53 AM EDT
[#2]
I would not skimp on any of my weapons. Buy the best of what you can afford. I would get the M1A first, then save up later for the 1911. You will love your M1A. IMHO.
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 7:58:23 AM EDT
[#3]
m1a first
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 9:15:45 AM EDT
[#4]
I went the other route and did the 1911 first.  Just because that's what I've always carried and had a few to work with.  Like you, I also have the AR's covered.  Now I'm on to the M1A...

It's up to you....  Are you more of a rifleman or a hand gunner?
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 12:00:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I went the other route and did the 1911 first.  Just because that's what I've always carried and had a few to work with.  Like you, I also have the AR's covered.  Now I'm on to the M1A...

It's up to you....  Are you more of a rifleman or a hand gunner?

I like 'em both, but rifle at the range is much more fun....you know, more of thrill to put groups at 50-100 yrds than 7-15yds.  But those dang pistols look so nice!  Although not optimal to carry a 5" barrel 1911, I'd probably use the 1911 more than the M1a.  But then again I really want a 7.62 chambered gun.  I've wanted that from the very beginning, but started with pistols, then AR, now.....

If I go M1A, you think the loaded is the way to go?  How about the 16" versions?
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 1:57:24 PM EDT
[#6]
While I've also got the AR15 platform covered what with both my lightweight middy and my scoped A4, I too got the itch for both a good 1911 as well as a M1A.  I couldn't swing the budget for but one high end version of either at this time but couldn't decide which to get.  After much thought, and realizing that I was really shooting my middy most of the time using the BIS rather than detachable scope, I decided that I'd pick up a good milspec style 1911 first followed by an iron sighted M1A because that way I could afford both.  

I got a Springfield NM Mil-Spec 1911 last March and couldn't be happier
with it.  While quite different than my Glocks, it's a great pistol to
shoot at the range even out at distance.  While I considered a loaded version, I settled upon the Mil-Spec instead because it's true to the original design of the Colt I carried in the Army some 40+ years ago but with better sights (a concession to my 64 yr old eyes) plus a fitedt and throated barrel and bushing for accuracy and reliable feeding.  I especially like to shoot at
bowling pins set out at 75yds with it and I've found it to be accurate enough so that it I do my part, the pins drop.

My Army days also introduced me to the M14 which I found amazingly accurate even out to 600yds.  While my eyes are no where what they once were, I still was intrigued by the thought of an iron sighted M14 in part because of the skills I was relearning with my iron sighted AR. I decided to go for a NIB Springfield std M1A to start, with the understanding that if I got good with it, I'd consider a second, NM version or a scoped version.

Turns out that I'm really liking the iron sights on my A1A as I'm getting to know it all over again.  In fact, I've been able to progress to shooting those same bowling pins I mentioned above but at 200yds off the bench with just my iron sighted standard grade M1A.  It also feels good to have it in my hands again after all these years, so good that I wish I'd got one much sooner.

Now I've got both and I think that they make a nice pair.

Link Posted: 12/3/2011 6:20:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Ahhh, thanks for those pics COSteve  Beautiful, just beautiful weapons...and I love the walnut stock on the M1A.  I appreciate your realistic and practical advice too, as sometimes my wish list to build "the" perfect weapon system gets out of hand, lol.

You got me thinkin', man.  Thanks for your post!
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 6:34:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:I like 'em both, but rifle at the range is much more fun....you know, more of thrill to put groups at 50-100 yrds than 7-15yds.  But those dang pistols look so nice!  Although not optimal to carry a 5" barrel 1911, I'd probably use the 1911 more than the M1a.  But then again I really want a 7.62 chambered gun.  I've wanted that from the very beginning, but started with pistols, then AR, now.....

If I go M1A, you think the loaded is the way to go?  How about the 16" versions?

I like them both as well, but mine was an easy decision.  Also like you, I've always wanted a M1A (really a M-14 ) but I'd have to relocate out of the commie state i live in.  Anyway...  if youhave to rack your brain making a decision, I couldn't think of one much better!  

For my M1A, I'm going with a Loaded.  I thought about the Scout but thought the longer set up just looked "better".  And the weight is not that much more....  So full size for me.  Besides, I tend to always do things in multiples.   Multiple hand guns.  Multiple AR's...  Stands to reason my M1A obsession will follow the same pattern.  Maybe then I'll go for the Scout.  Don't think I'd get a SOCOM however....  They're just not my cupa...  Ya know?

Good luck and post pics when your decision becomes reality!    

Link Posted: 12/3/2011 7:13:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Ya I know what you're sayin about the SOCOM's....If you want tactical CQ, just use the .223/5.56.  And many other reasons I'm sure.  But they do look real cool..."Bring Enough Gun", lol.  I think I'll stick with the original plan and go longer.

Thanks, man
Link Posted: 12/6/2011 11:55:22 AM EDT
[#10]
1911! still the best combat pistol ever made(not to start an argument)  i have 3, after the first one I said my next weapon would be an M-14...but I found 2 more good deals on .45s haha Im still saving for my M1A. Whatever you decide, when yo do get that first 1911, I would recommend the Springer Mil-spec. Still my favorite over my kimber custom and springfield TRP, just because of the classic John Browning intended look.  Plus, you can put whatever parts on it you want as you go.  Good luck! tough decision but as was stated before I cant think of a better decision to have
Link Posted: 12/6/2011 1:49:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Ya I know what you're sayin about the SOCOM's....If you want tactical CQ, just use the .223/5.56.  And many other reasons I'm sure.  But they do look real cool..."Bring Enough Gun", lol.  I think I'll stick with the original plan and go longer.

Thanks, man

Not sure if this helps, BUT....

My M1A "Loaded" is inbound as we speak.  Should be here late this week or early the next.  My bad....  I have a new Springfield .45 being held at the same shop and will pick that up at the same time.  I am SO going to get my backside handed to me when the better half finds out.  This is one of those times I wish she didn't know so much about guns!  
Link Posted: 12/6/2011 2:40:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/6/2011 3:30:37 PM EDT
[#13]
I'd say the M1a first. For the cash, it's a better buy.
Link Posted: 12/6/2011 5:56:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Well, I couldn't resist....the only shop within 50 miles that had any new Colt 1911's.  So I just did it  The M1A loaded will have to wait until next year.....wait a minute, next year is only 3 weeks away  LMAO, these bullets are so freakin big!

Thanks for the pic SGB!  They look awesome!

100 Year Government Model XSE Blue
http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/3319/img38321.jpg
http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/9104/img382811.jpg
Link Posted: 12/6/2011 8:36:36 PM EDT
[#15]
It's a beauty, that's for sure.
Link Posted: 12/7/2011 4:17:04 PM EDT
[#16]
M1A's do nothing at all for me and I really like 1911's, so I heartily approve of your choice.
Link Posted: 12/9/2011 10:07:18 AM EDT
[#17]
I'd go M1A first since you already have glocks. To me a handgun is just because I can't realisticly carry a rifle everywhere so I only need a couple, but you can never have too many rifles .

Plus you'll probally have more fun dialing in the M1A and target shooting with it then blasting at close range targets with the 1911.
Link Posted: 12/9/2011 12:00:35 PM EDT
[#18]
I would say a colt 1911 withe the 100th year markings. It's only available this year.
Link Posted: 12/10/2011 12:04:23 PM EDT
[#19]
I hate to say it cause people who post the following response always strike me as being insincere and or trying to be cute but I can say without a doubt due to these being in two completely different roles with absolutely no overlap, uh-humm GET BOTH!! get the 100 year anniversary 1911 first price might go up.
Link Posted: 12/10/2011 4:16:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Look for a used M1a. Current guns are full of Taiwanese parts as the USGI parts have dried up. My 1991 M1a has all USGI parts except the receiver. Less problem prone and more of the real deal if you ask me. Most M1a's are safe queens with low round counts. Lots of people that own just them don't shoot them.
Link Posted: 12/10/2011 5:27:34 PM EDT
[#21]
You need a "heavy hitting rifle".  the M1A is it.
Link Posted: 12/11/2011 6:22:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Damn the ARFCOM curse!!!  I now have acheived BOTH!!

Both Springfield, both Loaded.  
Link Posted: 12/12/2011 2:51:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Polytech or Norinco M14S
Norinco 1911
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top