BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 8:00:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By LonChaney:

It did so-so with the Federal Flite Control. It really liked the Hornady 8 pellet reduced recoil versatite wad load.

I’m gonna get out and run some “regular” 00 buck through it soon.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By LonChaney:
Originally Posted By raygixxer89:

Awesome, thanks for the pcs and info! So how do you think 00 buck would run in them?

It did so-so with the Federal Flite Control. It really liked the Hornady 8 pellet reduced recoil versatite wad load.

I’m gonna get out and run some “regular” 00 buck through it soon.

Thanks for the info. I can't wait to hear what it does woth the other shot.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 8:24:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FlamingDragon] [#2]
Flite control is not for modified chokes, the choke interferes with that wad. The wad is made to hold the pellets until it's about 10-15 feet out of the muzzle. Flite control is made for cylinder bore.

I love flite control for my sawedoff because it's lower recoil and it patterns better than anything else.
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 12:15:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Okay, you all talked me into it and I ordered one!

Now which 870 do I Register???  

My 28” hunting express or my 18.5” home defense with the folding stock?

I am leaning towards my hunting shotgun as the barrel comes off a lot easier than the home defense one…
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 10:57:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Manimals:
Okay, you all talked me into it and I ordered one!

Now which 870 do I Register???  

My 28” hunting express or my 18.5” home defense with the folding stock?

I am leaning towards my hunting shotgun as the barrel comes off a lot easier than the home defense one…
View Quote

Which one was cheaper?

I registered a Walmart clearance Express. $139 for the gun, $200 for the stamp, $125(IIRC) for Rose's work.

I just can't bring myself to register, stamp and chop a nice old Wingmaster.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 10:35:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By shack357:

Which one was cheaper?

I registered a Walmart clearance Express. $139 for the gun, $200 for the stamp, $125(IIRC) for Rose's work.

I just can't bring myself to register, stamp and chop a nice old Wingmaster.
View Quote

I don’t remember which one was cheaper but I decided to go with the hunting shotgun since I can convert it back easily.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 11:00:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the heads up. I just ordered one. We’ll see how it turns out. For those that had to send back, was there any trouble?
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 5:32:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Is the choke screw-in or no? I was thinking of grabbing one if it's a screw-in choke
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 7:12:45 PM EDT
[#8]
No.

They are a fixed modified choke.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 2:22:03 PM EDT
[#9]
These are called XS DEA Sights

The rear sight; the base is XS proprietary, and the dovetail is Colt 1911.  So yeah, you can remove the XS rear and put a Colt 1911 rear sight in its place.

The front sight; the base is a traditional Remington factory front sight base that has modified by XS.  The modification mills the sight base down, and recuts a new Remington dovetail for the Remington front sight.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 2:46:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By dwb1987:
Aim just listed these tonight.  LE trade in's per the description and some cosmetic wear/tear based on the pics.  This a good price?  I am on the fence about doing form 1 sbs for one of my 870's.  I prefer the rifle sights, so to me it seems like a good price but I admittedly have not done a ton of research.
View Quote

If they include sights its a very good deal
Link Posted: 10/2/2022 3:39:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By FAIL-SAFE:
These are called XS DEA Sights

The rear sight; the base is XS proprietary, and the dovetail is Colt 1911.  So yeah, you can remove the XS rear and put a Colt 1911 rear sight in its place.

The front sight; the base is a traditional Remington factory front sight base that has modified by XS.  The modification mills the sight base down, and recuts a new Remington dovetail for the Remington front sight.
View Quote

That's great info., thank you for posting it.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 4:14:11 PM EDT
[#12]
I got an email from AIM advertising these so I grabbed one but it was before seeing this thread. I just got it today and it had a pretty dirty bore. Looked like lots of lead fouling, but that scrubbed out pretty easily with a bronze brush and clp, and then running paper towels down the bore to get the loose gunk out of the barrel.

About 3 cycles of scrubbing and pushing it out of the bore and the bore looks like a mirror again.

Just in case you guys get an ugly bore that isn't beat to hell on the outside, a little bit of cleaning might bring it back to life. At 129 or whatever I just paid for the barrel, seems to be a pretty decent option for those wanting to do an SBS without cutting a factory barrel.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 7:53:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Extrabonez:
I got an email from AIM advertising these so I grabbed one but it was before seeing this thread. I just got it today and it had a pretty dirty bore. Looked like lots of lead fouling, but that scrubbed out pretty easily with a bronze brush and clp, and then running paper towels down the bore to get the loose gunk out of the barrel.

About 3 cycles of scrubbing and pushing it out of the bore and the bore looks like a mirror again.

Just in case you guys get an ugly bore that isn't beat to hell on the outside, a little bit of cleaning might bring it back to life. At 129 or whatever I just paid for the barrel, seems to be a pretty decent option for those wanting to do an SBS without cutting a factory barrel.
View Quote

Mine was pretty dirty in and out.

I blasted mine with carb cleaner, hoppes bore cleaner and hooked up the bore brush to the cordless drill and it looks pretty good now…
Link Posted: 10/18/2022 7:58:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dwb1987] [#14]
My stamp got approved a few weeks ago but I just recently managed to get the gun engraved/put together.  For anyone still on the fence, they shoot pretty good.  As others have said the mod choke doesn't play too well with fed flight control, at least as compared to the 18inch barrel I had on it before.  Still acceptable imo with my intended purpose though.  And it's now alot more handier.

Also got SMH at the turds here/gunbroker that are listing these exact same barrels for $250+

Link Posted: 10/18/2022 7:32:44 PM EDT
[#15]
My stamp got approved a few weeks ago but I just recently managed to get the gun engraved/put together.  For anyone still on the fence, they shoot pretty good.  As others have said the mod choke doesn't play too well with fed flight control, at least as compared to the 18inch barrel I had on it before.  Still acceptable imo with my intended purpose though.  And it's now alot more handier.

Also got SMH at the turds here/gunbroker that are listing these exact same barrels for $250+

View Quote

Congrats on the approval and getting the gun built.

If you think the gunbroker price on a 14 inch 870 barrel is nuts at $250+, this guy is asking $788.38 for a 14 inch Benelli M1S90 barrel with rifle sights.
Link Posted: 10/19/2022 2:40:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Does anyone know how hard it is to remove the rear sight?  Is the barrel cut for the rear sight base or is it just sodered on? I got approved by the man last week and probably goin send the gun to wilson for ghost ring sights and other pimp work
Link Posted: 10/19/2022 5:36:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By shindawia6:
Does anyone know how hard it is to remove the rear sight?  Is the barrel cut for the rear sight base or is it just sodered on? I got approved by the man last week and probably goin send the gun to wilson for ghost ring sights and other pimp work
View Quote

Look on pg 1 there is a very clear pic of the rear sight. The dovetail mount is soldered to the barrel. The rear sight is drifted into the dovetail mount.
Link Posted: 10/19/2022 6:47:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Do i need to have the form 1 approved prior to having possession of the barrel?

Don't want to get on the wrong side of the regs on this

thanks
Link Posted: 10/19/2022 11:55:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Willz:

Look on pg 1 there is a very clear pic of the rear sight. The dovetail mount is soldered to the barrel. The rear sight is drifted into the dovetail mount.
View Quote

So some heat and a big ass hammer and the  people at Wilson will be able to remove the rear sight base?  
Link Posted: 10/19/2022 10:06:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By shindawia6:
So some heat and a big ass hammer and the  people at Wilson will be able to remove the rear sight base?  
View Quote
Lots of heat and a tiny hammer.

Barrel will need a refinish to look good afterward.
Link Posted: 10/20/2022 3:02:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By rookie421:

Congrats on the approval and getting the gun built.

If you think the gunbroker price on a 14 inch 870 barrel is nuts at $250+, this guy is asking $788.38 for a 14 inch Benelli M1S90 barrel with rifle sights.
View Quote

Wow.  I almost bought one of the m1s90 receivers AIM had listed a few weeks ago.  But not finding any barrel under $400 anywhere turned me off.
Link Posted: 10/20/2022 1:19:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By chaas67:

thanks
View Quote

If you have a Tac-14, this would just be a replacement barrel.

I’m no AFT expert but it is conceivable that possession of a full size 870 and the purchase or possession of a 14.5 inch barrel could be considered “intent” to construct an SBS, in the same way they try to claim possession of materials and parts of a suppressor is “intent”.

Maybe someone more NFA knowledgeable can chime in.

Link Posted: 10/20/2022 3:43:10 PM EDT
[#23]

I'm no AFT expert but it is conceivable that possession of a full size 870 and the purchase or possession of a 14.5 inch barrel could be considered "intent" to construct an SBS, in the same way they try to claim possession of materials and parts of a suppressor is "intent".

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By chaas67:

thanks

I'm no AFT expert but it is conceivable that possession of a full size 870 and the purchase or possession of a 14.5 inch barrel could be considered "intent" to construct an SBS, in the same way they try to claim possession of materials and parts of a suppressor is "intent".

That's what i was leaning towards as well.
So i took my 870 to a buddies house while I'm waiting for the approval.

No shotguns for me in the house - lol
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 10:29:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Awesome info. Ordered. Thanks. Report to follow.
Link Posted: 10/25/2022 8:39:39 AM EDT
[#25]
I'm very happy with the one I received, it's probably in 98% condition.

The funny thing is I did an eForm 1 on an old, finish worn Wingmaster over 2 years ago and it sat in the safe. The same week the email came out from AIM I happened to take that 870 and a Colt lower to Tarheel State for Teri to engrave. I came home and stuck the shotgun back in the safe and a couple days later the email came out. I couldn't resist. Now all I need to do is have the whole thing parkerized.
Link Posted: 10/25/2022 7:26:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Got mine today (I actually ordered it last week) The outside wasn’t bad, some handling marks in the finish. The inside was noticeably frosty. There was a good amount of surface rust. I put a piece of scotchbrite pad on my trusty chamber polishing tool (A wooden dowel with duct tape wrapped around one end to make it the right diameter) and then some 600 grit and polished the chamber mirror smooth in a few minutes. I ran a bore snake down the barrel about 8 times and the bore won’t pass parazzi’s quality control, but it’s definitely serviceable. You can still see some shallow pitting, but..,it’s a shotgun so…
I have another barrel of the same set up I bought a few years ago and love it. I don’t think I’ve seen another one of these for sale until now. For $150, I’m happy with it.
Link Posted: 10/29/2022 5:21:58 PM EDT
[#27]
It’s lead!

Got a chance to run a few dozen patches through the barrel today and it’s not pitted, it was chock full of lead. Like someone shot a boat load of slugs through it without cleaning it.  Now that the lead is out, I can see that there are no pits. Looks good as new. I shot it a few days ago and it seems to hit about half a milk jug high at 30 yards give or take, once I made the adjustment, I got minute of milk jug hits 10 out of 10.
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 10:43:37 PM EDT
[#28]
If I would have seen these a few days ago I wouldn't have cut my vang comped 18 5" barrel
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 9:56:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By M4_Commando:
If I would have seen these a few days ago I wouldn't have cut my vang comped 18 5" barrel
View Quote

Damn!
Link Posted: 11/1/2022 10:33:02 AM EDT
[#30]
What is everyone using for ammo for these barrels?
Link Posted: 11/5/2022 3:57:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: L119188] [#31]
Just got mine back from the refinisher

The color is a little different because it’s chrome and the rest is nickel, but it turned out ok.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 11:46:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Grabbed one of these a few weeks ago, F1 came back a few days ago. Mine was a fairly good condition. Like others, it was heavily leaded on the inside, but 5-10 minutes with a brass 12ga brush, some Hoppe's and some patches and the inside came out really nice.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 2:41:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Mine turned out great. There's alot of crap in the bore, but it's a shooter. The sights are nice; but we may end up swapping them out for some XS front and rear tritium inserts.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/8/2023 12:37:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Aim just listed these tonight.  LE trade in's per the description and some cosmetic wear/tear based on the pics.  This a good price?  I am on the fence about doing form 1 sbs for one of my 870's.  I prefer the rifle sights, so to me it seems like a good price but I admittedly have not done a ton of research.
View Quote

I got one from Aim Surplus a couple of weeks ago. The one i got is in excellent condition, a few light scratches in the parkerizing, but nothing bad.
Link Posted: 10/24/2023 5:42:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kokopelli] [#35]
Reviving an old thread here- does anyone know what the rear sight dovetail cut is??

- what other rear sight blades would fit?
Link Posted: 10/24/2023 5:54:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KitBuilder] [#36]
Originally Posted By kokopelli:
Reviving an old thread here- does anyone know what the rear sight dovetail cut is??
- what other rear sight blades would fit?
View Quote
Glock
Edit: Incorrect.
Link Posted: 10/24/2023 6:10:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Seriously??
Link Posted: 10/24/2023 6:16:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KitBuilder] [#38]
Originally Posted By kokopelli:
Seriously??
View Quote
Yes, for the low-profile rifle sight barrels pictured here in this thread.
Remington designed them for LE, so smart move on their part IMHO.
Link Posted: 10/24/2023 6:35:33 PM EDT
[#39]
The sights that are on them are XS sights. I emailed them a while ago about night sights, and this is the reply I got…

Okay. You'll need to call our customer service team at 888-744-4880. You'll need the following items:
20-2029S-215-2 - Rear sight (it will be marked as a 1911 rear sight - that's what we designed the rear sight base to use).
10-2229B-500-4 - Standard Dot Tritium for a Remington, 500" tall.
Regards,
Monte Long | Marketing and Sales Engineer
a: XS Sights | 2405 Ludelle Street | Fort Worth TX, 76105
e: [email protected] | w: xssights.com
Link Posted: 10/24/2023 6:42:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KitBuilder] [#40]
Ok I guess I was told wrong then.
I've never tried swapping one.

Thank you for sharing that info.
Link Posted: 10/24/2023 10:40:13 PM EDT
[#41]
interesting...
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top