Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/10/2017 12:01:27 PM EDT
Hey boys. I should have a stamp back for a Vepr 12 in another week or two.

Being that I don't have a lot of spending money, I'm considering finding a local engraving service then cutting the barrel with a pipe cutter. I know, I know, a little cringe worthy. But the stamp I filed for was a 12" barrel. If I cut the barrel to 13" by myself. I can later send it to a gunsmith to have it professionally cut and re-threaded. This way I can enjoy my NFA SBS but still save some money at the moment, later on when things get better I can have it professionally redone.

Good idea? Bad Idea?

Before I cut, would 12" barrel be ideal for a the vepr 12?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 5:20:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I say go for it!

It is just a tube after all. Don't see why a careful cut and some cold blue wouldn't work.

Pics!!!
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 6:10:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Attachment Attached File
Should work fine. I used a hacksaw for mine then trued it up with a file and some sandpaper.  Then rethreaded with the Carolina Shooter Supply thread kit. 

12" on a Vepr is gonna cause all sorts of reliability problems. At the least you will want to polish up the hammer face, bolt carrier and bolt itself. Then make sure the gas block and gas ports are aligned correctly and none of the ports are getting blocked. After that is done you will have to enlarge the gas ports and more than likely (99.9%) have to add a 6th port as well. Even with all of that you will more than likely have to run 3 3/4 dram shells to get it to function reliably. 

Mine will sometimes run 3 1/4 dram
shells but usually runs 95% with 3 3/4 dram.  Thankfully the 3 3/4 stuff shoots pretty soft due to the gas system and can easily shoot 100+ and have little bruising on your shoulder. Well I will say that is with one of the massive GK 01, 02, or 03 brakes. I run mine with the GK03 brake.  They make a huge difference in recoil. Shooting mine without a brake is brutal. 

I would stick with 15" if you don't want to have to enlarge and add a gas port. You still might need to make sure the gas ports aren't blocked by the gas block, and still polish the internals. 
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 1:12:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/18401/IMG-2228-184641.JPGShould work fine. I used a hacksaw for mine then trued it up with a file and some sandpaper.  Then rethreaded with the Carolina Shooter Supply thread kit. 

12" on a Vepr is gonna cause all sorts of reliability problems. At the least you will want to polish up the hammer face, bolt carrier and bolt itself. Then make sure the gas block and gas ports are aligned correctly and none of the ports are getting blocked. After that is done you will have to enlarge the gas ports and more than likely (99.9%) have to add a 6th port as well. Even with all of that you will more than likely have to run 3 3/4 dram shells to get it to function reliably. 

Mine will sometimes run 3 1/4 dram
shells but usually runs 95% with 3 3/4 dram.  Thankfully the 3 3/4 stuff shoots pretty soft due to the gas system and can easily shoot 100+ and have little bruising on your shoulder. Well I will say that is with one of the massive GK 01, 02, or 03 brakes. I run mine with the GK03 brake.  They make a huge difference in recoil. Shooting mine without a brake is brutal. 

I would stick with 15" if you don't want to have to enlarge and add a gas port. You still might need to make sure the gas ports aren't blocked by the gas block, and still polish the internals. 
View Quote
A little gunsmithing never scared me! Honestly I have just as much fun working on guns as I do shooting htem.
Attachment Attached File

But seriously though, thanks for the info.

I'll probably be keeping this thread updating with info.
Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 1:30:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Mine should be approved in the same time frame. Tennessee Arms Co did a great job engraving.

I am planning on using a hacksaw for now and probably cut to 15" and see if I keep the reliability until I can afford to pay someone to make it a more reliable 12-13"
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 2:32:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mine should be approved in the same time frame. Tennessee Arms Co did a great job engraving.

I am planning on using a hacksaw for now and probably cut to 15" and see if I keep the reliability until I can afford to pay someone to make it a more reliable 12-13"
View Quote
I efiled 7-4 so hopefully soon. Yea, the more I think about it, the more I might do a 15 then to later a 12.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 3:17:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Hey boys. I should have a stamp back for a Vepr 12 in another week or two.

Being that I don't have a lot of spending money, I'm considering finding a local engraving service then cutting the barrel with a pipe cutter. I know, I know, a little cringe worthy. But the stamp I filed for was a 12" barrel. If I cut the barrel to 13" by myself. I can later send it to a gunsmith to have it professionally cut and re-threaded. This way I can enjoy my NFA SBS but still save some money at the moment, later on when things get better I can have it professionally redone.

Good idea? Bad Idea?

Before I cut, would 12" barrel be ideal for a the vepr 12?

Thanks!
View Quote

Good idea if you don't need the sight. Not that hard to put the sight back on with the right tools. Make sure you chamfer the edges with sandpaper.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 7:22:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Just an update

Link Posted: 5/31/2017 9:34:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 6:42:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Used a hacksaw on my 12.5'' no gas work at all done and still runs cheap Walmart bulk ammo, I did polish the bolt and rails

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top