Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Tacked Inaugural SBS pic thread (Page 3 of 6)
Page / 6
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 12:16:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By pyotr_k:
And now for something completely different... a 12ga pocket pistol.

https://i.imgur.com/7tgaxHd.jpg

I have a bunch of different barrel lengths/gauges, full stocks, and grips of various flavors. Next project is the 8ga barrel assembly. I like to get the full use out of that $200 stamp.
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 5:05:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Finally get to post this here.

12.5" SBS
Cut down from factory 18" riot barrel.
$60.00 for chop, thread for rem chokes and front bead sight installation.
Local gunsmith did it for me. I almost choked when he said over the phone he would do it for so little.

Link to his website.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 9:54:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ThomasGarcia] [#3]
I don’t even have this back in my hands yet, but it’s a recently approved Form 1 Remington 870 SBS. The work was done by Josh at Cotton Branch Custom Firearms. The barrel was chopped to 10” and the lug had to be relocated. The mag tube was shortened to hold 3+1. The stock was also shortened a couple inches, along with some serious forend shortening/modification. The gun started life as an 18” 870 Tactical Magnum. I bought a used vent rib barrel and new 870 Police walnut furniture right here off the EE.

Link Posted: 11/26/2018 10:20:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: swampfoxoutdoors] [#4]
Originally Posted By ThomasGarcia:
I don’t even have this back in my hands yet, but it’s a recently approved Form 1 Remington 870 SBS. The work was done by Josh at Cotton Branch Custom Firearms. The barrel was chopped to 10” and the lug had to be relocated. The mag tube was shortened to hold 3+1. The stock was also shortened a couple inches, along with some serious forend shortening/modification. The gun started life as an 18” 870 Tactical Magnum. I bought a used vent rib barrel and new 870 Police walnut furniture right here off the EE.
https://i.postimg.cc/c4tBZw9Q/658-D7-FDA-0-EA1-4523-A15-B-B1-A799039-CCD.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/Zn2Pp5RB/7-E5-A1-CC5-E389-4-D4-F-BB5-D-819-EDFFEED1-C.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/v8Ntp3zY/DB6317-A8-EF3-D-4-BE7-9126-97697115-F94-B.jpg
View Quote
Looks freaking awesome. I’m assuming this chop and thread job was a little more than $60.00
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 10:40:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By swampfoxoutdoors:
Looks freaking awesome. I’m assuming this chop and thread job was a little more than $60.00
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Just a smidge

In all seriousness, his prices are very reasonable.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 11:14:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Attachment Attached File

Remington Model 11 manufactured in 1911
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 12:22:37 PM EDT
[#7]
View Quote
This is sweet. I picked up a used 870 special field to sbs. It should end up similar to yours with a little less work since it’s already 3+1. Can’t wait, it’ll be my first sbs.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 5:29:45 PM EDT
[#8]

My 870 with Magpul Furniture.  12.5" barrel.
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 5:36:48 PM EDT
[#9]

Just a smidge

View Quote
Can you send me info for this? I am wanting to finish my SBS and to be honest the wood furniture and short look is awesome. I love the barrel vent and sight though. All in all that’s 10/10 for me.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 12:20:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Whitebrad25:
Can you send me info for this? I am wanting to finish my SBS and to be honest the wood furniture and short look is awesome. I love the barrel vent and sight though. All in all that’s 10/10 for me.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Whitebrad25:

Just a smidge

Josh at Cotton Branch Custom Firearms did the work. He doesn’t have a website, but he floats around some of the NFA groups on Facebook, which is where you can see a lot of his work. His email address is [email protected]
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 5:34:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Check his instagram @cottonbranchcustoms
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 4:30:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Shootindave] [#12]
Remington Model 11. Have not decided on refinishing it.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 8:03:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Looks great!!
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 11:15:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Enjoy it as-is for a while, and then consider OD green with the metal, and the wood as it is... sort of a WWI/WWII Marines finish, if that makes sense.
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 5:54:32 PM EDT
[#15]
I've had a couple SBS projects in the works for awhile. I finally got this one done. 870 Special Field with 10.5" barrel. I have a local gunsmith that did the barrel chop. He did a proper cut/machine on the rib and re-blued the machined surfaces. To top it off he threaded for chokes. I shortened the buttstock a little bit. I haven't shot it since the transformation, but it was a smooth shotgun in its original form.

Link Posted: 2/16/2019 6:43:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By yamadog35:
I've had a couple SBS projects in the works for awhile. I finally got this one done. 870 Special Field with 10.5" barrel. I have a local gunsmith that did the barrel chop. He did a proper cut/machine on the rib and re-blued the machined surfaces. To top it off he threaded for chokes. I shortened the buttstock a little bit. I haven't shot it since the transformation, but it was a smooth shotgun in its original form.
https://i.imgur.com/Zi6Dtov.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/yURuxxG.jpg
View Quote
Well now I’ll know what my special field will look like chopped! Looks good
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 7:14:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: yamadog35] [#17]
Originally Posted By AR_DIESEL:

Well now I'll know what my special field will look like chopped! Looks good
View Quote
Since you have a special field, note that the buttstock on mine is not the English stock that comes on the Special Field.  I found a Wingmaster stock that was very close in color to the handguard.  I just liked the look of the traditional Wingmaster stock a little better..
Link Posted: 4/11/2019 9:06:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: scottMO] [#18]
Attachment Attached File

The rifle sighted m1s90 sbs is finally home. The ghost ring sighted sbs is still at the dealers..

With the rest of the sbs family:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 9:37:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Attachment Attached File

Shockwave to sbs
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 8:42:56 PM EDT
[#20]
V3 SBS. I added a hand stop to help keep my hand from becoming a stump:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 12:49:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Wow, I am unfamiliar with that shotgun at all.  More of a Benelli M4 rather than recoil operated?
Looks sweet as an SBS!  What is barrel length and capacity?
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 9:48:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By mPisi:

Wow, I am unfamiliar with that shotgun at all.  More of a Benelli M4 rather than recoil operated?
Looks sweet as an SBS!  What is barrel length and capacity?
View Quote
Gas operated with dual (small) pistons below the bolt. It's a pretty slick system.

Barrel length is 13"; Capacity is 5+1
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 9:32:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By hoothrewpoo:
Gas operated with dual (small) pistons below the bolt. It's a pretty slick system.

Barrel length is 13"; Capacity is 5+1
View Quote
Super neato.  I like small things that still have a "fighting" capacity.  Until now I was looking at a ghost-loaded 10"ish Benelli with 3+1+1.  Plus with gas op you could cut down the stock some too.  
Do they make a factory SBS or is this a converted Tac 13?
Link Posted: 4/30/2019 5:27:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By mPisi:

Super neato.  I like small things that still have a "fighting" capacity.  Until now I was looking at a ghost-loaded 10"ish Benelli with 3+1+1.  Plus with gas op you could cut down the stock some too.  
Do they make a factory SBS or is this a converted Tac 13?
View Quote
It’s a converted Tac-13. In the long run, it’s probably less expensive to cut down a full size gun to the barrel/stock length you want. You could remove any amount desired from the stock and not adversely effect the gas operation.

I’ve fired both full power buck and powder puff birdshot through this gun. No issues with either.
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 7:58:26 PM EDT
[#25]
What stock did you use? I want to do a 13 but wanted to wait for a wood version to come out.
Link Posted: 5/18/2019 9:15:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By JHorne:

What stock did you use? I want to do a 13 but wanted to wait for a wood version to come out.
View Quote
Factory v3 stock - purchased from Midwest Gun Works. The current wood version uses a slightly different gas system.
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 9:38:10 PM EDT
[#27]
blat blat

Link Posted: 6/3/2019 12:58:20 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Hking:
blat blat

https://i.imgur.com/N2ae3ZAh.jpg
View Quote
Nice more details please.

Maker?
Model?
Who did the chop?
Who did the wood work?
And do you have a holster yet?
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 8:57:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Hking] [#29]

Maker?
Model?
Who did the chop?
Who did the wood work?
View Quote
Stoeger Condor I got for dirt cheap a few years back. Actually a very solid gun for how inexpensive they are.

Local smith did the chop, crown, and bead install. Did a great job for $60

I did all the wood, rough shaping with a palm sander and rasp, final shaping and smoothing by hand. Did 8 coats of boiled linseed oil spread over 72 hours and I will do a varnish or urethane coat in the near future.

A holster is a fun idea, might be a good project for the summer. This thing would be a badass snake gun for short hikes in the badlands and black hills where I have encountered a few rattlers.
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 12:08:05 PM EDT
[#30]

Stoeger Condor I got for dirt cheap a few years back. Actually a very solid gun for how inexpensive they are.

I did all the wood, rough shaping with a palm sander and rasp, final shaping and smoothing by hand. Did 8 coats of boiled linseed oil spread over 72 hours and I will do a varnish or urethane coat in the near future.

A holster is a fun idea, might be a good project for the summer. This thing would be a badass snake gun for short hikes in the badlands and black hills where I have encountered a few rattlers.
View Quote
yeah I have a Mossberg AOW that I plan on using the same way. If you do a holster go leather with a floral pattern. Should add a touch of class too a classy looking SBS.
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 10:35:41 PM EDT
[#31]
blat blat

View Quote
That looks... painful.
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 9:11:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: yamadog35] [#32]

Maker?
Model?
Who did the chop?
Who did the wood work?
---------------------------------------------------------------------
View All Quotes
blat blat

Maker?
Model?
Who did the chop?
Who did the wood work?
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Barrel length?    More pics please    I have a similar 20 gauge that I've done much of the work on as far as the stock/grip, but haven't chopped the barrels yet.  Still trying to decide where to go with that.
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 10:08:02 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By pokey074:

That looks... painful.
View Quote
Its really not as bad as I thought it would be. It barks like crazy, big fireball out the front, and kicks pretty hard but not unmanageable. I could shoot Aguila minishell slugs and normal birdshot all day.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 9:53:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gr8Santini] [#34]
I’ll post better pics when I get it all back together.  It’s just mocked up now.  14” vepr 12.

Together

Link Posted: 6/15/2019 9:16:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 11:13:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Very cool. I would like to see a video of that running.
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 7:13:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 3:32:49 PM EDT
[#38]
@Slimjim

Gunna need some details on that! What was the base gun? What forend is that? Great looking shotgun.
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 7:11:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Shootindave:

@Slimjim

Gunna need some details on that! What was the base gun? What forend is that? Great looking shotgun.
View Quote
@Shootindave

It was a benelli M1 Super 90 i resurrected from a parts kit and used receiver, form 1 SBS in 10 days, Benelli M1 wood stock and SBE 2 forend.
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 5:27:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Slimjim:

@Shootindave

It was a benelli M1 Super 90 i resurrected from a parts kit and used receiver, form 1 SBS in 10 days, Benelli M1 wood stock and SBE 2 forend.
View Quote
One of the nicest shotguns in this thread. Now I need walnut for M1S90 Entry.
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 8:29:09 PM EDT
[#41]
I know you guys hate Black Aces Tactical, but this has shot flawless for me so far. 28" OAL w/10" barrel.

Link Posted: 8/3/2019 3:50:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By AZ_Raptor:
I know you guys hate Black Aces Tactical, but this has shot flawless for me so far. 28" OAL w/10" barrel.
https://tinyurl.com/y357y36x
https://tinyurl.com/y3feq57j
View Quote
Shortened LOP, as well? It's so damn cute!
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 12:42:26 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By pyotr_k:

Shortened LOP, as well? It's so damn cute!
View Quote
Yes. About 1" off a bantam stock.
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 12:42:26 AM EDT
[#44]
My newest addition to the SBS family... 100 year old Remington Model 11 shortened by Josh at Cotton Branch Customs.
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 6:27:17 AM EDT
[#45]
My newest addition to the SBS family... 100 year old Remington Model 11 shortened by Josh at Cotton Branch Customs.
https://i.postimg.cc/28dnb2g9/43-CEF95-B-E88-A-4259-94-A0-E61-D8721-D20-F.jpg
View Quote
Seen that on IG that cotton branch does some nice work.

Nice setup
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 9:59:37 PM EDT
[#46]

Seen that on IG that cotton branch does some nice work.

Nice setup
View Quote
I saw that too.
Link Posted: 8/18/2019 5:04:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Same goofy gun, new goofy photo...

Link Posted: 10/17/2019 3:59:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Attachment Attached File

Just got my stamp back. Just a Mossberg shockwave with a Surefire forend and Mesa tactical 6 shot shell carrier. It will get an RMR here soon.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 6:27:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 6:24:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Girthrockwel] [#50]
blat blat

View Quote
That thing is cool as hell. It reminded me of this thing from Killing Me Softly.

Page / 6
Tacked Inaugural SBS pic thread (Page 3 of 6)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top