Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/4/2017 11:35:56 AM EDT
When you drill your baffles, do you do it in the direction of the bullet's travel? I have my stamp, my supplies, a drill press and a strong desire. It however occurred to me that I have never done this before and trial and error doesn't seem like a good way to go about this.

I have:

DM 1.625" x 7" tube
DM Griffin adapter
DM RCE endcap
DM Radial cones

It will be a .30 caliber can and I am planning on clipping the cones though I am still researching the best way to do the radials. I would appreciate any input. I was pretty excited when I put it all together and it only weighed 13.2 oz before I started removing material.

Link Posted: 4/4/2017 11:40:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Start from the side that DM center marked. Direction of drill, other than following the center mark, means nothing.

Keep us posted
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 1:44:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Start from the side that DM center marked. Direction of drill, other than following the center mark, means nothing.

Keep us posted
View Quote
Thanks!

I am going to be overly anal retentive and a little OCD about this. 

Another question, I keep seeing people using ball end mills opposed to drill bits, why? I have a full set of carbide drill bits and lots of cutting fluid if that makes a difference.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 3:21:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Drill bits for drilling bore hole
Ball mills, End mills, or Carbide burs for cutting your clips.
Other ways to do it, but these would be standard practice.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 7:11:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Using a drill press to mill (side loading on the arbor/chuck) is a bad idea, just my .02.

It sounds like you are on the right path with carbide and cutting fluid and DM components.

I see you are already on the Form 1 Boards so you are probably a couple steps ahead.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 7:51:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Read up on Rusty's DHC clip, it's the way to go for sure
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 8:27:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 9:38:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
That's what I'm going with. I put a few bucks aside and am just gonna have him do it. Work is hectic and with our second child (almost 3 months old plus our 3 year old) I don't have the time to do it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Read up on Rusty's DHC clip, it's the way to go for sure
That's what I'm going with. I put a few bucks aside and am just gonna have him do it. Work is hectic and with our second child (almost 3 months old plus our 3 year old) I don't have the time to do it.
Does he have a price list?
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 9:39:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Using a drill press to mill (side loading on the arbor/chuck) is a bad idea, just my .02.

It sounds like you are on the right path with carbide and cutting fluid and DM components.

I see you are already on the Form 1 Boards so you are probably a couple steps ahead.
View Quote
I figured I would double dip in the knowledge well.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 4:36:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 7:24:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
In the vendor section on F1.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does he have a price list?
In the vendor section on F1.
Thank you.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 11:22:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Another question, I keep seeing people using ball end mills opposed to drill bits, why? .
View Quote
I chucked ball nose end mills in mine to drill.  They stayed centered perfect and go through the hardened steel and Ti baffles and VSRs easy.  Sounds like you are set with the bits through.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 7:00:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I chucked ball nose end mills in mine to drill.  They stayed centered perfect and go through the hardened steel and Ti baffles and VSRs easy.  Sounds like you are set with the bits through.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Another question, I keep seeing people using ball end mills opposed to drill bits, why? .
Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 10:56:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Thanks.
View Quote
Look at Kodiak Cutting Tools.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 10:47:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.
Will do.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top