Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/4/2017 7:11:53 PM EDT
It's not a kit, I bought the tube of Amazon for 38 bucks and the cups off EBay for 24.95, free shipping on both.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MZBBICS

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111819072556?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The quality of the parts is superb and the fit is amazing. Even though the parts came from different suppliers, the cup to tube fit is nearly air tight. Even still, the cups slide easily into and out of the tube as long as both end caps are off. With one cap on, there is pneumatic stiction, that's how close the tolerance is.

The tube is sold on Amazon as a waterproof camping thingy and it comes with a 1/2 28 threaded hole for a key chain mount which is not pictured. The tubes are on eBay as "Pack of 5, Cup type Freeze Plug Fits 1" ID Tubes and many Industrial application." All the parts have marked centers should you decide to repurpose it with a form 1. I have a form one in the pipeline and when it comes, I will.

Here's the parts.

Had my MKlll threaded recently.

Here's the trap on the gun. OAL length of the tube 5" OD is about 1.5" so it's fairly robust. Assembled weight 5.9 oz.

Here's a look at the caps on the tube, they are loose to show the o-rings.

And here's the gun with its new red dot and trap. All set for cleaning. The red dot was 25 bucks off amazon and has great reviews.

Link Posted: 2/4/2017 7:16:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Amazon link
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 7:22:26 PM EDT
[#2]
That looks cool....
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 7:24:45 PM EDT
[#3]
is that a sight mark?

this one?  hxxps://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Camping-Storage-Container-Carabiner/dp/B01MZBBICS/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&qid=1486250837&sr=8-20&keywords=Waterproof+Camping+tube
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 7:32:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks OP

Nice mkiv
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 7:41:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Added links to parts in my OP. THis is the sight, it's a Fieldsport.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00457SRBI
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 8:27:51 PM EDT
[#6]
is this solvent trap quiet?
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 8:33:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
is this solvent trap quiet?
View Quote

So far, it hasn't made a sound.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 9:41:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks OP
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 9:50:45 PM EDT
[#9]
I've had the tube in my cart for awhile, might as well fo.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 10:14:45 PM EDT
[#10]
They're both SNE products, you just bought the cups from a reseller.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 10:38:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Should have cut the barrel at the 4 inch mark. That way you wouldn't have to buy the more expensive subsonic ammunition. I love my Mark three 22/45 lite. The 4 inch barrel keeps all bulk pack ammo subsonic.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 10:44:16 PM EDT
[#12]
I fo'd.....on the last all silver one 

If its better then the SDTA tube I haven't gotten to building yet I'll use it instead....when i get around to it 
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 7:39:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
They're both SNE products, you just bought the cups from a reseller.
View Quote

Explains the fit. I did suspect something to that effect but didn't bother researching it.

One thing I'll add: The can is very well made but there are no flats or devices to aid disassembly. Even when I tighten it by hand it can be difficult to get apart. Add some dirt or whatnot and it could get really tough. I might drill some holes in the end caps and make a pin spanner for it.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 9:32:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Explains the fit. I did suspect something to that effect but didn't bother researching it.

One thing I'll add: The can is very well made but there are no flats or devices to aid disassembly. Even when I tighten it by hand it can be difficult to get apart. Add some dirt or whatnot and it could get really tough. I might drill some holes in the end caps and make a pin spanner for it.
View Quote

Yep, I did that for my neighbors 22lr/22tcm can. FYI they are $50ish shipped from sne
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 10:26:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Did you make the part which screws onto the barrel ?

Never mind.  Blurry morning vision makes for poor reading comp.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 10:31:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Yep, I did that for my neighbors 22lr/22tcm can. FYI they are $50ish shipped from sne
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Who is "SNE" I can't seem to find them.

Quoted:
Did you make the part which screws onto the barrel ?

Nope. The tube comes like that.

Link Posted: 2/5/2017 10:39:09 AM EDT
[#17]
http://www.snesporting.com

( I'm waking up... )
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 10:49:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

( I'm waking up... )
View Quote

Thanks, yeah they offer 5/8 24 or 1/2x 28 , anodized and I believe no o ring as well.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 11:14:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Thanks, yeah they offer 5/8 24 or 1/2x 28 , anodized and I believe no o ring as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

( I'm waking up... )

and the entire combo thing is $50 free shipping.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 11:57:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

( I'm waking up... )

Link Posted: 2/5/2017 2:00:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Can you tell me the threading on the 1/2x28 side of the end cap? Trying to see if a booster will fit it before I buy a couople.

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 3:30:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Can you tell me the threading on the 1/2x28 side of the end cap? Trying to see if a booster will fit it before I buy a couople.

Thanks
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

I can't. One, it's at home and I'm at work and two, when I do get home, all my thread gauges are metric.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 3:42:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Thanks
View Quote
In the tube itself?  I doubt it since this is a C-cell sized tube. The d cell tubes are too big to accept a booster directly. SDTA's B size tubes were direct threads for a liberty/gemtec booster
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 4:29:50 PM EDT
[#24]
I couldn't find the physical address of SNE Sporting, so I don't know what time zone they're in.

They do have a sales email addy to which questions could be sent.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 4:52:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Thanks
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks
go up like 3 posts and look
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 8:05:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Would these hold up to casual use on a 5.56 AR?
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 8:29:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 10:24:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Aluminum baffles? Very little internal volume?

Can't imagine it lasting through many rounds at all.
View Quote

Yeah, not my first choice.
Doable, but, with other materials available, why would you want to?
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 11:38:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Kind of what I figured. I haven't seen a steel option similar to this though in price and apparent quality - and available...
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 12:00:14 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
I wonder how effective, if at all, anodizing the baffles would be if you put a VSR or formed FP in the front of the stack

The heat alone might make it pointless with the AL baffles
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 12:32:08 AM EDT
[#31]
My Form 1 Alm baffle suppressor vs 2 different Silencerco suppressors

Link Posted: 2/6/2017 8:12:53 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsc43wr_Rqs
View Quote

You must be a wizard and that must have cost a million dollars.

Seriously though, I'm impressed but not surprised. Silencers are not voodoo magic as yours proves.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 10:14:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Seriously though, I'm impressed but not surprised. Silencers are not voodoo magic as yours proves.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsc43wr_Rqs

Yep sounds good, I imagine the longer barrel will add life to the baffles as more powder is burnt. What grade aluminum are the baffles and are they bare or cerakoted?
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 10:32:56 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Yep sounds good, I imagine the longer barrel will add life to the baffles as more powder is burnt. What grade aluminum are the baffles and are they bare or cerakoted?
View Quote

Not coated and they use 6061 T6 loominum.

Oops, thought you were asking me.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 12:26:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Not coated and they use 6061 T6 loominum.

Oops, thought you were asking me.
View Quote

Lol no problem, I ordered a kit last night for $50 shipped so I will see how good it is. People are saying a tight fit so I am a little concerned as I was planning to hi temp cerakote it inside and out including the baffles. May have to use antisieze after coating but we will see.

ETA: if there is a problem I will just make a short monolithic stack for the front and modify or make a K baffle for the Fiat blast baffle. $50 for the tube end caps and threaded ain't bad anyhow.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 4:01:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
 hi temp cerakote it inside and out including the baffles
View Quote

Never understood why people coat the interior of their suppressors. Wouldn't that reduce thermal conductivity and internal volume, thereby making the can louder?

Plus, it's not like you're gonna see the inside all the time anyways...
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 9:50:24 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Never understood why people coat the interior of their suppressors. Wouldn't that reduce thermal conductivity and internal volume, thereby making the can louder?

View Quote

Thermal dynamics is not going to be affected, coatings are for protection of bare metal and anodizing and the hi temp coating is for the coating to resist hi temp not making the metal resist it more. Coating also makes it clean alot easier, I for example cleaned my stainless f/a rated 22lr can. After 7k rounds and the dissolve bath it still had over 220gr of buildup inside after the buildup dried.

The one I ordered will be a semi intergal design for my 1022 sbr so it will really need to be coated for ease of cleaning regularly. Any time you assemble a can, antisieze will be your friend as well.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 11:37:31 AM EDT
[#38]
if you were gonna form 1 these which way would the cups go? what size drill bit? would you "clip" the holes? ive thought about another .22 can and making one sounds fun (legally of course). i already have several cans but want another rimfire one
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 11:53:39 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
if you were gonna form 1 these which way would the cups go? what size drill bit? would you "clip" the holes? ive thought about another .22 can and making one sounds fun (legally of course). i already have several cans but want another rimfire one
View Quote

22lr is basically .224 so between 5/16 .3125 and 23/64 or .3594 depending on your skill set and tools the smaller you can go.

Cups face outward or inward depending on your design and spacers if you use them. Typically the inside faces towards the muzzle. Aka if it was a cup filled with water the bottom of the cup is toward the muzzle.

Clipping if you want which I do, the size of the space per baffle really determine this as well as relief of back pressure for semi to reduce blow back and a few other things I could go on about..

Your mileage may vary by design. I have only done 6 so and have a background in fluid dynamics
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 1:11:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Thermal dynamics is not going to be affected, coatings are for protection of bare metal and anodizing and the hi temp coating is for the coating to resist hi temp not making the metal resist it more.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thermal dynamics is not going to be affected, coatings are for protection of bare metal and anodizing and the hi temp coating is for the coating to resist hi temp not making the metal resist it more.

The paint does two things. It covers the surface, and fills in the little pores in the metal. Since most paints don't have thermal conductivity equal to steel, this will interfere with the transfer rate of the heat to the air, and will also reduce the surface area (by filling in the pores) that the heat will radiate or be absorbed from. Think of high-temp header paint; it is designed to hold the heat in.

To quantify the statement, it won't be a huge difference, or you may not even notice any difference in your type of usage. The determining factor would be the outer tube's material composition and its ability to handle the prolonged exposure.

Commercial Mfr's regularly use these coatings so I see no harm in an exterior or interior usage. Especially since you get the added benefit from easy cleaning, as 300blk stated.

Anodizing is not a coating, but rather a growth of the Al's oxide layer. This will not hinder the parent metal's ability to dissipate heat.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 12:03:48 PM EDT
[#41]
They have more parts and I think cheaper prices if you purchase direct.  They have their own cups made for their tubes.  http://www.snesporting.com

I have some of their parts from a year or so ago, they look to be between SDTA and DM in quality.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 1:19:43 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:Cups face outward or inward depending on your design and spacers if you use them. Typically the inside faces towards the muzzle. Aka if it was a cup filled with water the bottom of the cup is toward the muzzle.
View Quote

Can you clarify this a bit. Which muzzle? Gun or suppressor exit (which to my mind is the new muzzle w/suppressor attached)? While not perfectly a cone, if it was, would the tip face toward the gun or the exit? It seems in the examples I've seen the "point" faces the gun. Just trying to clarify. Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 10:57:27 AM EDT
[#43]
Regardless how you look at it, the muzzle is the end of the barrel from which the projectile will exit. The end of the barrel, not the suppressor. That is the end cap.
You have it right. The point of the cone faces the shooter, which happens to also be the muzzle.

Link Posted: 2/9/2017 3:28:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Can you clarify this a bit. Which muzzle? Gun or suppressor exit (which to my mind is the new muzzle w/suppressor attached)? While not perfectly a cone, if it was, would the tip face toward the gun or the exit? It seems in the examples I've seen the "point" faces the gun. Just trying to clarify. Thanks.
View Quote

The baffles are concave to the outlet of the suppressor would be a gooder way to put it.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 9:55:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Does SNESporting make any tubes that fit a Liberty/Gemtech booster?
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 10:22:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Once the HPA passes, I'll be on that like a fat boy going through a cake and ice cream buffet.
Until then, not even hovering my mouse over the link.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 11:59:22 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Once the HPA passes, I'll be on that like a fat boy going through a cake and ice cream buffet.
Until then, not even hovering my mouse over the link.
View Quote

You and everyone else. Then we get to see threads about solvent traps being "Out of Stock" for months on end as they catch up to demand.

Meanwhile I bought three in the last 2 weeks from two different manufacturers, and I'm deciding on another one now.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 2:35:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Do you think a 5 inch tube would suppress much on a .22 pistol?
I think that set up would be a bit loud.
Clipping the baffle cones could help some.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 9:38:54 PM EDT
[#49]
What does 'clipping the baffle cones' mean ??
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 10:13:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
What does 'clipping the baffle cones' mean ??
View Quote

http://s92.photobucket.com/user/HK94dude/media/AE52827C-93B1-4483-ABEF-5D97FB60EF02_zpsckz8jbv6.jpg.html

The 2 notches on the side of the hole.
Several different types and ways of doing it.  Single, large swoops, Griffin Arms style notch and back cut, etc.
The one in the picture is called double clipping, because it has 2 cuts.

Even in my 7" c size 22lr suppressor with not the best designed baffles it improved the sound quite a bit going from none to double clip on all 8 of them.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top