Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/20/2016 1:47:13 PM EDT
Does the Ruger SR556 upper have a full auto compatible bolt carrier to use in a registered lower ?

Did I search but couldn't find the info.

Thanks!!

Link Posted: 12/20/2016 3:16:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Does the Ruger SR556 upper have a full auto compatible bolt carrier to use in a registered lower ?

Did I search but couldn't find the info.

Thanks!!
View Quote

The complete SR-556C gun I had had a semi auto carrier. Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 5:32:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Ruger does make a full auto bolt carrier for their gas piston AR.  However, they would not sell me one even with a copy of my Form 4 showing I own an M16.

I took an Adams Arms (IIRC) gas piston bolt carrier and removed about .1" off the face of the carrier key so it mimicked the Ruger in length and used it to fire the Ruger gas piston upper on my lower.  Here's one of the test videos.  I later sold my Ruger and gave the altered bolt carrier away to someone on the forum that was trying to accomplish the same thing.

Ruger upper on M16 lower
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 8:06:41 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm somewhat surprised that we haven't seen an aftermarket bolt carrier with a shrouded firing pin as well as a few other options for handguards and such. Granted Ruger has changed the handguard mounting system a couple times and has now gone completely over to the QD system.

Still I think there would be some commercial interest in a replacement carrier. Maybe we should start an email campaign with Young Mfg or something.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top