Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/9/2016 7:41:44 AM EDT
I couldn't contain myself anymore with Memorial Day leftover deals & Father's day sales
I picked up a Ruger American 308 22" barrel w\ Nikon
Was thinking of getting barrel threaded for possible suppressor
I'm sure others have done so...
Any recommendations?

Link Posted: 6/9/2016 8:30:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Adco is popular.  Why not buy the Predator to begin with, it's threaded already.  Not available as part of the sale?
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 10:06:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Predator didn't come with scope & shorter barrel
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 1:39:45 PM EDT
[#3]
My 308 Predator has an 18" barrel and is threaded 5/8X24 (model 6974). I would have preferred the barrel to be 16" like the ranch models to keep it as compact as possible with the suppressor installed. My shooting needs don't require the extra velocity gained with the longer barrel. If you hunt or move around with a full length suppressed rifle for very long you will understand that longer isn't always better :)  To have a proper 0.72" diameter shoulder for 5/8" threads you may have to have the barrel cut back some anyway depending on it's profile. Don't worry though, you may lose a little velocity but you'll gain rigidity!

Side Note:  Ruger model 6959 is a 22" barreled Predator in 308 Win. I think it was a distributor exclusive so it may not be easy to find.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 9:15:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My 308 Predator has an 18" barrel and is threaded 5/8X24 (model 6974). I would have preferred the barrel to be 16" like the ranch models to keep it as compact as possible with the suppressor installed. My shooting needs don't require the extra velocity gained with the longer barrel. If you hunt or move around with a full length suppressed rifle for very long you will understand that longer isn't always better :)  To have a proper 0.72" diameter shoulder for 5/8" threads you may have to have the barrel cut back some anyway depending on it's profile. Don't worry though, you may lose a little velocity but you'll gain rigidity!

Side Note:  Ruger model 6959 is a 22" barreled Predator in 308 Win. I think it was a distributor exclusive so it may not be easy to find.
View Quote

I ordered a Predator .308 from my LGS.  It came in.  I took it shooting.  It was very accurate, but then I noticed the 18" bbl seemed rather long, and the velocities were higher than I expected.  It was the Lipsey's model with 22" bbl.  A local gunsmith cut the bbl to 16.5" and threaded it 5/6x24 for me.  Still shoots great and lost 300fps with the 125gr handloads I was using.  Makes it MUCH more handy for the suppressed shooting I do with it.  No regrets over getting it shortened and threaded.  
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 9:53:22 AM EDT
[#5]
I used this guy, and a bunch of other folks as well, Ad on EE

$50 Barrel Threading
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 12:17:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I used this guy, and a bunch of other folks as well, Ad on EE

$50 Barrel Threading
View Quote

Same here. Morgan has threaded many guns for me including my Browning BAR ShortTrac which all of the other shops (large and small) told me couldn't be done. He also fixed my factory threaded Mini 30 Tactical thread shoulder as Ruger doesn't seem to think a square shoulder is necessary and left it with a taper to the threads. All work has been great and he's my go-to for anything that will host a suppressor.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 2:22:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Well I'm going to have another opportunity to get what I want
The deadbeat on-line retailer sent the wrong version of this rifle to my FFL
and I rejected. We called them & they don't have the version they sold me available.
They apologized & don't know how they could have made the mistake & started to question my order, but they finally took responsibility
Refunded my purchase price & are paying for return shipping.
I am now shopping again for entry level bolt 308
Lot's of good contact & advice guys...Thanks
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 4:09:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I am now shopping again for entry level bolt 308
Lot's of good contact & advice guys...Thanks
View Quote

Don't shy away from the American! Now you can give a serious look at a factory threaded model which will remove the hassle and cost of shipping a new rifle to get threaded. I can't recommend the two Predator model .308s enough, but I recommend suppressed bolt action shooting more!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top