Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/2/2016 10:16:17 PM EDT
How dumb would hot glue be as a stock filler in the plastic stocks? Could use a little weight in the rear anyway. Stiffen it and dull sound is what I'm trying to do. I've already done the grip... but thought I might need to ask. Grip is now dead to sound!
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 12:34:36 AM EDT
[#1]
I have never done one, but it seems to me if you want to fill a plastic stock, you would use a plastic filler.
Available at any auto parts store, and even Walmart.
Better known as Bondo.
Link Posted: 11/9/2016 10:18:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have never done one, but it seems to me if you want to fill a plastic stock, you would use a plastic filler.
Better known as Bondo.
View Quote

I'm doing that as we speak.  I'm using the Bondo Resin, since it's pourable.  Have the first 2 ounces in right now, setting the bottoms of the two 1/2" CPVC tubes I added for stiffness.  Once the stock is done and completely hardened, I'm going to epoxy two pieces of 10-24 threaded rod in the forearm to stiffen it up so it doesn't move and touch the barrel.
Link Posted: 11/10/2016 8:38:13 AM EDT
[#3]
urethane spray foam like used for insulating/sealing cracks in house
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 9:51:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
urethane spray foam like used for insulating/sealing cracks in house
View Quote

Great Stuff?  Thought of that but rejected it pretty quickly;

- Messy as hell
- Way too much for just a rifle stock (RA empty stock is just 451 ml, a hair over 15 oz)
- Way too messy
- Pretty light and the RA stock is already too light and flimsy;
- Not very strong; I figured after a couple shots, the shock would shrink the foam and be less effective

Got the stock filled with Bondo resin yesterday.  This afternoon, I'll start on epoxying two 10-24 threaded rods in the forearm.  Stay tuned for pics.
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 9:18:38 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I'm doing that as we speak.  I'm using the Bondo Resin, since it's pourable.  Have the first 2 ounces in right now, setting the bottoms of the two 1/2" CPVC tubes I added for stiffness.  Once the stock is done and completely hardened, I'm going to epoxy two pieces of 10-24 threaded rod in the forearm to stiffen it up so it doesn't move and touch the barrel.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Better known as Bondo.

Pics please!!

Link Posted: 11/17/2016 9:44:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Ok, here you go!

Basically, here's what you're trying to do with the rear of the stock:

And here's the youtube video where I got that image from:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoDf1OulP_Y

And this is what I ended up after using some Bondo resin (the only pourable epoxy-type substance I could find) plus two 1/2" CPVC tubes for strength (not needed) and to fill with lead/epoxy if I wanted more weight (also not needed).

The bondo resin was heavier than I expected and hence recommend you do not fill the stock all the way as I did.  Either use less or use something else that weighs less.  While it's not too heavy, it did make it slightly heavier than what I wanted.

On the front of the stock, I used two 10-24 threaded rods cut to length, and then epoxied in with the resin.

Pics:

Hope this helps!

Link Posted: 11/17/2016 5:27:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks, Merlin!
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 6:23:29 PM EDT
[#8]
I would do epoxy with glass microballoons, milled fiberglass, and chopped fiberglass.
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 10:53:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thanks, Merlin!
View Quote

And thank you for your service!!!

Link Posted: 11/18/2016 10:54:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I would do epoxy with glass microballoons, milled fiberglass, and chopped fiberglass.
View Quote

Ok so for the people reading this thread, where would one find that stuff?
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 9:55:14 PM EDT
[#11]
These are shots 15-20 out of my Ruger American rifle in 7mm-08 at 105 yards:

Shots 21-23 put down two doe Sat. AM.  
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 8:56:28 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

These are shots 15-20 out of my Ruger American rifle in 7mm-08 at 105 yards:

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p111/Albinator/Ruger%20American%20pics/IMG_20161118_133100003%20Large_zpsehgrzaqu.jpg

Shots 21-23 put down two doe Sat. AM.  
View Quote

Assuming the red dot is approx 1".

Not bad at all!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top