Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/28/2016 10:58:05 PM EDT
My friend has a Ruger American 308 caliber bolt action.The rifle is relatively new  and has approx 6 rounds of factory 308 through it.This week he tried some 308 reloads and when he inserted the mag and began to operate the bolt it would push the round up towards the chamber but then the bolt would go over the round jamming it out of line and would not chamber.This happened with all his reloaded ammo.He tried factory ammo and it worked,The bolt would not go down when cycling or very rough.any ideas.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 10:51:02 AM EDT
[#1]
If I'm reading you right, he has a hard time turning the bolt down after the round is chambered. Sounds like the chamber is tight. Do a full length resizing when he is prepping his brass and load them to the suggested OAL when seating the bullets.. Also make sure he is trimming his brass to spec during prep...

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 6:50:26 PM EDT
[#2]
What is different between the factory and the reloads, bullet?  shape? seating depth?

Make a dummy round or 2 and play with those (no primer or powder) until you get the issue sorted.
Don't be trying to bang on a bolt or rifle with a live round.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 7:35:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Did he resize the brass?
Was the brass once fired from a semi-auto?
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 1:58:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
My friend has a Ruger American 308 caliber bolt action.The rifle is relatively new  and has approx 6 rounds of factory 308 through it.This week he tried some 308 reloads and when he inserted the mag and began to operate the bolt it would push the round up towards the chamber but then the bolt would go over the round jamming it out of line and would not chamber.This happened with all his reloaded ammo.He tried factory ammo and it worked,The bolt would not go down when cycling or very rough.any ideas.
View Quote

I have an idea.  He is not reloading his ammo properly.  In addition to properly sizing and trimming the brass, he must also use a bullet shape/profile that is compatible with the rifle.  That has nothing to do with the rifle.  Anyone that reloads must do the same thing with any firearm.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top