Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2016 12:38:42 PM EDT
For many reasons, I'd like to own an M77 Mk II in 7mm-08.  These do exist, but are rare enough to be EXCEEDINGLY difficult to find.  However, I've heard rumor that the Hawkeye barrels are a form, fit, function replacement for the Mk II barrels.  I have a line on a Mk II in .243 Win, but the price isn't all that great ($800 or so).  Adding another $300ish on top of that to swap barrels takes that not-great price into painful territory.  Not so painful that I won't do it, but painful enough that I don't want to take a leap of faith.

So, has anyone tried swapping a Ruger M77 Hawkeye 7mm-08 Rem barrel onto an M77 Mk II All Weather (aka "paddle stock") .308 Win or .243 Win?  If so, how was your experience?
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 1:20:53 AM EDT
[#1]
For $300 you could get a blank fitted to any ruger mark 2 model 77.

As far as the barrel fitting you would still be likely to have to turn the shoulder back to line up correctly. Then deepen the chamber with a reamer.

The M77 and ruger No.1 both have 1" x 16 thread shanks. I would imaging the hawkeye would be the same.
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 10:19:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Ruger (Mauser action) barrels are not interchangeable.  You will have to buy a "short chambered" barrel and have the chamber reamed.
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 10:53:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Sidetrack, sorry.
I'm looking at a Ruger M77 MKII also, what are the reasons to consider this rifle over other bolt action manufacturers?
I know zilch about bolt guns.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top