Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/8/2015 1:21:21 PM EDT
I'm looking for options for my new Tactical Mini 14. I'm torn between a 1x4 lighted reticle scope and a RDS. I'm leaning towards the 1x4. I'd love to see your rigs and hear suggestions for mounting options.

Thanks

FBHO
FHRC
FBS
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 2:03:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I went with this red dot in a scout setup position. Great for both eyes open shooting to pickup on off to the side threats
http://www.primaryarms.com/new-primary-arms-micro-dot-with-removable-base-md-rbgii/p/kt-md-rbgii/
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 2:27:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 2:54:08 PM EDT
[#3]
The Mini is a lot like it's namesake, the M14.  Neither are really suited well for an optic sitting above the bolt.  For that matter, neither is the M1 Garand or M1 Carbine.  I've got a 583 Series Mini Ranch Rifle as well as an M1A and both two M1 Garands and two M1 Carbines.  Even at 68 yrs old, I opted to keep all of them irons only as the rear peep sight is great if you keep you eye close to it.  Even with my old eyes and the irons, I'm pretty good at taking out bowling pins at 200yds with them, however, the M1 Carbine platform isn't as mechanically accurate so at 200yds, it's a bit tough to group well enough to hit them reliably.

Link Posted: 12/8/2015 5:49:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I agree with the guys who spoke of a scout setup. I use an Ultimak rail with a Burris 2X7 pistol scope,
had to remove a little metal from the gas block area to clear the objective bell. I have also used just the
rail with a red dot and it worked fine.
I did not like having a scope mounted over the receiver at all.
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 2:19:44 AM EDT
[#5]
I threw a strike fire with low mount on my 582 mini, and it works quite well.
Link Posted: 12/19/2015 10:46:50 AM EDT
[#6]
A guy i know on a mini forum split warne QD mounts with me.  We both have red dots on our front ring mount.  This is as light as it gets.

Link Posted: 12/22/2015 2:49:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A guy i know on a mini forum split warne QD mounts with me.  We both have red dots on our front ring mount.  This is as light as it gets.

http://i.imgur.com/RKuqwSb.png
View Quote

That's a kickass mini!  What stock is that?
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 8:00:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Factory polymer
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 1:20:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Factory polymer
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Factory polymer

Kind of what I thought.

@Kinganuthin:  Did you color the stock yourself? And did you mount the rail with the hand stops by yourself?
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 10:14:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Kind of what I thought.

@Kinganuthin:  Did you color the stock yourself? And did you mount the rail with the hand stops by yourself?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Factory polymer

Kind of what I thought.

Yes, I used brownells aluma Hyde 2.  Awesome stuff.

And yes.. I dremeled into the stock a little to recess the magpul polymer rail.  I bolted and epoxied it in.  
I had the angeled grip got a while but it was too bulky.

Oh.. And it's a Mini 30 tact.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 3:16:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

And yes.. I dremeled into the stock a little to recess the magpul polymer rail.  I bolted and epoxied it in.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Factory polymer

Kind of what I thought.

Awesome!  Best looking Mini of any variety I have seen IMO. I have been wanting to attach a Magpul rail to my Mini but wasn't sure it would work.  You showed me it can.  Now I have to do it, so in the next couple days I will be buying a Magpul rail section.

Link Posted: 12/23/2015 10:58:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Factory polymer

Kind of what I thought.

I just got a Mini-Thirty Tactical yesterday to setup just like this, minus the AccuStrut. I do have a few questions for you, though, since seeing your setup a while back spurred the thought I could have a micro-version of my M1A that is setup the same way.

My questions are:

1. Do you like the Primary Arms RDS enough to do it all over again, or would you throw caution to the wind and go with an actual Aimpoint? In other words, how is the optic holding up and how do you like it compared to the real deal...

2. Have you noticed an increase in accuracy thanks to the strut? I wasn't planning on doing this mod because I want to keep the light and quick handling attributes inherent with the Mini platform, but if it truly does improve accuracy, I may have to reconsider....

3. I believe you stated on another site that you went with a medium height ring. Is this what you still suggest, or do you think a low ring will work?

I'll post pics when I am done.
Link Posted: 12/25/2015 3:59:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The Mini is a lot like it's namesake, the M14.  Neither are really suited well for an optic sitting above the bolt.  For that matter, neither is the M1 Garand or M1 Carbine.  I've got a 583 Series Mini Ranch Rifle as well as an M1A and both two M1 Garands and two M1 Carbines.  Even at 68 yrs old, I opted to keep all of them irons only as the rear peep sight is great if you keep you eye close to it.  Even with my old eyes and the irons, I'm pretty good at taking out bowling pins at 200yds with them, however, the M1 Carbine platform isn't as mechanically accurate so at 200yds, it's a bit tough to group well enough to hit them reliably.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/Coloradoglocker/20150618_105337_zpsv5bz0syz.jpg

View Quote

Mine. Photo taken in Virginia.

Link Posted: 12/25/2015 4:06:48 AM EDT
[#14]
You really need a cheek riser with a scope if you want a cheek vs. chin weld.  

I didn't put it on to be cool or look like a DMR.

I have a few vids posted here shooting it in a 3 gun matches.

Edited to add scope mounted with Ruger medium rings.  Karsten cheek riser.

Link Posted: 12/25/2015 12:37:14 PM EDT
[#15]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/Coloradoglocker/20150618_105337_zpsv5bz0syz.jpg

Mine. Photo taken in Virginia.

http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo92/goexus/twins.jpg

Nice.  Now break loose with $15 and get yourself a Choate Handguard at least to help with cooling.

Link Posted: 12/25/2015 12:52:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/25/2015 4:09:08 PM EDT
[#17]
While I agree that a Accu-Strut is a great addition, you'll note that owlless has a 16" tactical 58x series with a thicker bbl so the Accu-strut isn't as critical as if he had a longer, thinner 'pencil' barrel.  And while a full trigger job is great, not everyone has the money so a simple light smoothing of the sears will go a long way to a better trigger.  Actually, a reduced aperture gas bushing, say .045", is another priority consideration as are a set of Wilson 1911 buffers as reducing the gas forces on cycling and eliminating metal-to-metal banging go a long way in both increasing accuracy and reducing wear and tear on the rifle and the brass.  Both together cost less than an Accu-Strut if budget is a problem.  I did them all, Gas bushing, Accu-Strut, buffers, and Choate HG, plus added a Mini200 rear sight and .042" rear sight aperture to mine to achieve almost 1 MOA groups, plenty good enough for my uses.

Link Posted: 12/25/2015 7:14:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/25/2015 10:12:00 PM EDT
[#19]
My questions are:

1. Do you like the Primary Arms RDS enough to do it all over again, or would you throw caution to the wind and go with an actual Aimpoint? In other words, how is the optic holding up and how do you like it compared to the real deal...

2. Have you noticed an increase in accuracy thanks to the strut? I wasn't planning on doing this mod because I want to keep the light and quick handling attributes inherent with the Mini platform, but if it truly does improve accuracy, I may have to reconsider....

3. I believe you stated on another site that you went with a medium height ring. Is this what you still suggest, or do you think a low ring will work?

I'll post pics when I am done.

Strut is not the end all be all.  The one I have is pure aluminum, so weight is nill.  I wouldn't get a steel one.
The number one thing I did was bed the stock.
Number 2 is trigger job.

The PA is holding very well.  The mini tore up a vortex scope prior.  
I would be hesitant going less than medium height for 2 reasons.
Better trajectory with medium.  
Also I think having a low ring could cause ejection issues.

Link Posted: 1/7/2016 7:11:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Used a Ruger 30mm ring and Aimpoint PRO.

Link Posted: 1/9/2016 11:18:45 AM EDT
[#21]
View Quote

A couple of you guys have this single ring set up on your optics
How secure is that factory Ruger mounting location?

Will it take a blow without losing zero, falling off, and damaging the receiver?
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 9:18:12 PM EDT
[#22]
In my opinion, the Ruger rings are bullet tough.
They have a "divot" that centers the base when you tighten the ring down.
(So you can't use non-Ruger rings of course. )

This gun is about 4 years old, so it has the built in, ranch style scope bases.
Newer guns are drilled and tapped so you can mount a rail section over the action.

I didn't torture test my setup, but I never felt it was in the least bit fragile.

I like the look of the Mini without any optic, so the PRO is on an AR15 now.
If you want to try this, shoot me an IM and I'll make you a deal on the single 30mm Ruger ring.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 10:41:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 12:01:48 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Buy a tight-fitting synthetic stock.  Almost all of them fit the Mini action better than the OEM wooden stocks, which are notorious for being ill-fitting and so decreasing accuracy,  The Butler Creek folder is attractive, IMHO, and

View Quote
While my wood stock fit fairly tight out of the box (more so than I though it would) I added some shims to it that locked it in so it doesn't move at all.

Link Posted: 2/2/2016 3:19:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 9:37:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Also had a Weaver 1-3x on it for a while in the included 1" rings.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top