Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2015 5:32:36 PM EDT

I have a ton of Ruger products, from a Mini14, to 22/45's and 10/22's, but no bolt guns.

I bought a really nice condition 25-06 M77 with tang safety and Leupold 3x9/40 and 3 boxes of ammo for $400. I bet it has no more than 20 rounds through it. My buddy needed the cash and I really didn't need the rifle, but for 400 bucks I said what the hell.

Did I pay too much, or about right?

ETA, does anyone have any advise for me concerning ammo choices or the like?

Link Posted: 8/17/2015 5:38:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Nothing is ever wrong with purchasing an M77.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 5:51:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I had a 6mm that was a beautiful gun. But it had long chamber and shot like crapola. My dad played with around with it and found the long throat, made up some reloads that shot a dime. You were never going to find ammo on the shelf for that gun.

I bought the gun around 1990, used. So it was a product of the 80's. I know Ruger is a different company now that Bill is gone.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 8:52:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I found a used M77 in 30-06 last year at my LGS for about the same price with an old Bushnell Sportview 3-9 on it.  I couldn't resist the wood stock with great bluing on the metal.  Shoots great, too, until the barrel heats up.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 9:16:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I have the same gun only in 7 Mauser. It is a nail driver. Better then the mkii. For that price you did good.

The only thing that matches my 7 Mauser is my Hawkeye in 30-06. Same ' feel' as the seven. Both guns have a natural swing when brought to the shoulder.

The mkii I had never had that feel and shot like a bad old shotgun.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 4:24:48 AM EDT
[#5]
I would say you came out on the Plus side of the transaction.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 6:21:10 AM EDT
[#6]
I prefer the mkll but thats a great deal on a tang saftey one.

The 100 plus grain bullets are fir big game, the lighter for varmits.

I think its hornady that makes a 117 grain btsp interlock that usually shoots great from what ive read with great performance up to elk.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 4:44:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks everyone for the comments.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 3:34:05 PM EDT
[#8]
I would say you did very well, hell the ammo alone would cost you close to $75 around here if not more.
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 6:25:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I'd say you made out well on the package, and your buddy gave you a good deal.  $400 (or more) for the rifle alone would have been possible, if the seller was willing to go online or wait around.  Tang safety models can be very desireable to some folks who like the older M77 rifles.  I handled a pretty nice M77 with tang safety in .30-06 a few years ago at a gun show.  Seller wanted $500 for the bare rifle.  I was willing to $400 but he wouldn't budge.  

Considering you got some ammo and a Leupold scope, that sweetens the deal in my mind.  Even the cheapest factory .25-06 from Prvi is going for $15 per 20, and American made hunting rounds are $1 a round.  

Leupold is great to have in a used scope because of the lifetime warranty.  If you take it out to the range tomorrow and something goes wrong with it, just send it back to Leupold for repair or replacement.  What version of Leupold is it?  I'm assuming it's a Rifleman or VX-1, which would make sense for the package.  If it's a higher end Leupold, then the deal is even better.
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 9:32:31 PM EDT
[#10]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Leupold is great to have in a used scope because of the lifetime warranty.  If you take it out to the range tomorrow and something goes wrong with it, just send it back to Leupold for repair or replacement.  What version of Leupold is it?  I'm assuming it's a Rifleman or VX-1, which would make sense for the package.  If it's a higher end Leupold, then the deal is even better.
View Quote

Thanks for that info, I didn't know about the warranty.

The scope is a VX-2 3x9/40

Link Posted: 9/13/2015 11:00:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Those scopes are in the $300 range I do believe, heck of a deal, being as though I wouldn't mind having a 06 myself I am very jealous.
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/15/2015 8:11:11 AM EDT
[#12]
If it was a good friend I would have offered an extra $100.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 10:40:06 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

If it was a good friend I would have offered an extra $100.
View Quote
I gave him 20 more than he wanted AND had to force him to take it. He insisted it was only worth 380.

I had a feeling it was more valuable, but like I said at first, I'm no bolt gun expert.

I really appreciate everyone's insight.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 12:43:26 PM EDT
[#14]
A gun store probably would only give him 250 and offer to take to ammo out of the goodness of their heart
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top