Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/25/2015 7:51:12 PM EDT
I've noticed when I shoot my Mini-14 that I unconsciously want to stretch my neck forward to get a good sight picture with the irons. I'm 5'10" with long arms and am comfortable with the LOP on my full size
battle rifles and hunting rifles but my carbines just feel better to me with a shorter  Length of Pull (LOP). So, I compared the Mini-14's LOP to that of my M1 Carbine's, AR15 A4's (fixed stock), M1A's, and M1 Garand's and found that the Mini-14's LOP is the same as the full size battle rifles, the M1 Garand and M1A (M14) at 13.5" which is about 1" longer than that of both my M1 Carbine's, AR15 A4's.  
Not surprisingly, both the M1 Carbine and AR15 feel much better when shouldering and looking through the rear peep sight.  I thought about it and noted how I naturally stretched my neck to get my head forward when sighting through the Mini's rear sight without even noticing that I was doing it so, I removed the rubber buttplate on my Mini14 and noticed that the
reduced length was making it feel better but I could use it to be a bit
shorter still.
After considering my options, I decided I wanted to keep the stock 'look' including the rubber buttpad so I settled upon removing 1" from the stock and re-installing the stock rubber buttpad (suitably ground down to the new stock profile) to keep the look of the carbine stock looking.  I wrapped the entire stock in masking tape to protect the finish and then marked a line 1" up from the end of the wood stock all the way around the stock.
A trip to the band-saw and the stock was about 1/8" shy of being 1" shorter to give me sanding room.  After final sanding on the table belt sander to square the stock down to the line, I marked the position for the new holes for the buttpad screws, drilled pilot holes, waxed the screws, and then screwed the buttpad on.  Then it was back to the belt sander to carefully sand down the edge of the buttpad where it stood proud of the stock, including sanding off the lower extra length.
After I got it to the same profile as the stock, I removed the tape protecting the stock and it was done.  All I can say is that removing that 1" was absolutely the best thing as now I get 'up on the irons' without stretching my neck which makes for a comfortable, relaxed sight position.  Further, it seems that I'm down on the rear sight easier without the bit of forcing it I noticed I was doing before.  As an added bonus, both my 5'0" wife and 5'3" daughter (she happened to stop by) like the shorter length better too.  (And every husband knows that it's always a good thing to keep the wife happy!!)
Now, with the great accuracy I found it had at 200yds last time out, the significantly reduced cycle impulse coupled with the easy recoil, the improved rear sight picture with it's smaller aperture and ease of adjustability, the improved look, better cooling, and accuracy with the addition of both the Choate handguard and the Accu-Stut, and now the more balanced look and feel of the stock, I'm just tickled to death how it turned out.  Best of all, to the untrained eye it looks stock rather than customized; as if everything belongs that way.  
My Mini-14 with 'as delivered' stock; 13.5" LOP.  Looks fine but the buttstock feels a bit long:

My Mini-14 with it's shortened, 12.5" LOP.  Can't really tell it's been shortened unless you look closely at the stock swivel position:

Now my Mini-14 is truly perfect. Too bad it's going to rain tomorrow as I've got a powerful itch to take it out to the range again. Oh well, an advantage of being retired is that I can always go during the week so Monday looks like a fun day.  

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 10:00:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Very nice work there OP. Looks like it came from the factory that way. I have fit prolly 300 Decelerator pads on various rifles over the years and your technique and results are excellent.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 11:00:41 PM EDT
[#2]
That would be a near perfect Mini if it had a Ruger FS.  Having said that, it still looks sweet.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 9:49:47 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That would be a near perfect Mini if it had a Ruger FS.  Having said that, it still looks sweet.
View Quote

I know that many are enamored with the original folding stock, however, I'm not one of them.  They, like the M1 Carbine's and AK's aren't solid feeling and for me, they're just a gimick as I'm not a 'shoot from the hip' or 'spray and prey' type shooter.  I much prefer the solid feel of wood.  For me, a perfect Mini would be mine with a walnut stock and steel buttplate, much like my M1 Garand or M1A (without the folding tang).

Link Posted: 5/7/2015 9:57:02 AM EDT
[#4]
"rain"?

i shoot in the rain.      sometimes
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top