enjoy ARs, both my light weight 14.7" middy and heavy 20" long range
shooter, and they are killer accurate, I'm still a wood and steel rifle
guy at heart.
It's true that my long range AR wears real walnut stock, forestock, and
custom pistol grip but at heart it's still a 'Black Rifle'. My
collection of long guns runs more to leverguns but also includes an M1
Garand, M1 Carbine, and M1A and they all are wood and steel rifles that
just look and feel like real rifles to me. Fact is, the S&W MP15
Magpul middy is the only plastic stocked long gun I own.
So, it's no surprise that the Ruger Ranch Hand Mini-14 holds some appeal
being wood and steel and all, but I've stayed away from them because of
their reputation of poor accuracy. Recently, however, that changed when
I got the chance to shoot a friend's new model 5801 with some
enhancements he did to it that gave it decent accuracy.
How good? Accuracy in the 1" at 100 yds arena as demonstrated in this July 2012 post on The Firing Line.
While not sub MOA that ARs are known for, that is still well within the
accuracy of many modern hunting rifles. Couple with that level of
accuracy with the compact design of the Ruger and it's worth another
look as a field gun or plinker. Not every gun I own needs to be a
bullseye shooter as I'm not myself and the appeal of a light, compact
scaled down M14 type shooter appeals to me.
My friend explained that the new, heavier barreled 580 series Rugers
manufactured since late 2005, are more accurate out of the box and with a
simple trigger job (videos on Youtube) can be made to be decent 1"-1½"
at 100yd shooters which is consistent with must long guns these days. He
also installed a Accu-Strut barrel stabilizer under his barrel
to further dampen vibration which he said helped, but he admitted that
he added it mostly because he liked the look of his Ruger better with it
installed.
Shooting his Ruger with his 60grn handloads proved him right as he was
able to shoot multiple groups just over 1" at 100 yds and even I, not
your best 67 yr old benchrest shooter by a long shot, was able to shoot
under 2" groups with a new gun and scope setup. I'll have to say that I
was impressed enough to look into collecting a Ruger Ranch Hand basic
model (wood and blued steel) for myself one day . . . soon.

Link Posted: 2/20/2015 8:52:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Edited...VA-gunnut
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 9:45:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I like the Mini too. Need to pick one of the new versions up.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 10:32:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I recently picked up a 580 series Mini. The shorter 16" heavier barrel helps these guns a bunch.
Coupled with the ease of mounting optics with Rugers rings and not the old side mounts,
They shoot way better than the old pencil thin barreled 181 and up series guns.
I like mine a bunch. I Use Factory Ruger mags for total reliability.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 11:46:30 AM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Isn't worth the first look.
View Quote

I understand the appeal of the AR platform's amazing accuracy, however, the ergonomics to make it so accurate and easier to shoot well results in receiver/upper area of the rifle is huge!  Then there are those of us who learned to shoot with wood and steel rifles (I trained on the M14 in Basic and AIT), hunted with wood and steel, and prefer the look and feel over the plastic and aluminum of today.
The Mini-14's accuracy that's about what was expected in a hunting rifle/plinking rifle for some 100 yrs before the advent of the AR platform and more modern plastic stocked, uber accurate rifles of today.  I have both a AR middy carbine and my RRA 20" AR as my long range shooter.  They are fun guns and I'm not getting rid of them.  However, I also love shooting my M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, and M1A and the Ranch Rifle will fit right in with the accuracy of those battle tested designs.

This is a new style Ranch Rifle, not a M1A.  It's been customized
to make it more accurate (Accu-Strut) and make it look much more like a
M1A (oiled stock, wood forearm, sling). The Accu-Strut (below the
barrel) looks much like the gas system on the M1A and it helps the
accuracy by dampening the barrel.  The wood handguard is from an
original version.   It's not mine, but I'd like to do the same thing
with one, plus give it a trigger job (YouTube).  

I think it really looks good and it's caliber falling between the M1
Carbine's and real M1A's, it's a great size with great caliber too.  
It's accuracy falls between the two as well with the 'minute of coffee
cup' accuracy of the M1 Carbine and true MOA accuracy of a NM M1A. As I
too have both myself, I think it'll be a great 'in between' for plinking
and varmints. I will be adding one to the stable sometime soon.

Link Posted: 2/21/2015 3:36:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I've had at least 4 Minis over the years.
Wood, poly, blue, stainless, new, used. . .

My current one is a 16" 581, purchased new.
Had to go back to the factory to get it on paper, and actually had to be "broken in" with a hundred rounds to get it to feed correctly.
I replaced the truly awful rear sight with a Tech Sight, and it is by far the most accurate one I've owned.

I can get 1-2" groups shooting Wolf 55gr steel ammo, even with a hot barrel!

The new guns are the gun that the Mini 14 should have always been.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 11:52:33 PM EDT
[#6]
I like the Mini, and would like to have one.  But at current pricing, I can't justify it over the AR.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 6:38:41 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I like the Mini, and would like to have one.  But at current pricing, I can't justify it over the AR.
View Quote

If I only could have one, the AR would win hands down, however, I don't as I already have 3 ARs; a couple of middys and a long range setup. I'm looking to the Ranch Rifle as a knockaround plinker and compact shooter.  I'd configure it to look more like the M1A to go along with my M1 Garand, M1A, and M1 Carbine and this is the look I like.  

Link Posted: 2/22/2015 11:06:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Hopefully this doesn't lock the thread, but I like the mini too.  I only got one because I moved to CA and wanted a 5.56 rifle that wasn't hobbled by a stupid stock or magazine lock.  

I have to say it's not a bad gun.  It's as accurate as a couple M4gery's I have in another state.  I like the feel of the recoil better, more easy and straight back without the twisting you get with the AR.  Mine has been 100% reliable with Ruger 10 round mags and every type of ammo I have found to shoot.  I don't clean it often either.

That being said the AR is better in every way but if you like it, get it.  Most everyone has guns they have purchased and liked that really are not gee-wiz high-tech combat proven.  Who cares.

I like the Mini14 and I have AR's, AK's, and other semi-auto combat rifles.

Link Posted: 2/22/2015 11:16:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

If I only could have one, the AR would win hands down, however, I don't as I already have 3 ARs; a couple of middys and a long range setup. I'm looking to the Ranch Rifle as a knockaround plinker and compact shooter.  I'd configure it to look more like the M1A to go along with my M1 Garand, M1A, and M1 Carbine and this is the look I like (without the flash hider).  

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v456/cj5_fan/mini14.jpg

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I only could have one, the AR would win hands down, however, I don't as I already have 3 ARs; a couple of middys and a long range setup. I'm looking to the Ranch Rifle as a knockaround plinker and compact shooter.  I'd configure it to look more like the M1A to go along with my M1 Garand, M1A, and M1 Carbine and this is the look I like (without the flash hider).  

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v456/cj5_fan/mini14.jpg

Where did you get that top cover?  I like the looks of it.  I do not like the black plastic one that it comes with.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 12:51:39 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Where did you get that top cover?  I like the looks of it.  I do not like the black plastic one that it comes with.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/Coloradoglocker/RanchRifle_zps3a75b106.jpg

1st, this isn't my mini-14 but rather I've collected up the parts information / materials to make one just like the picture.  However, I know about the handguard.  It's a Choate handguard available from lots of stores.  I'm planning on getting mine from MidwayUSA as I'm getting some other parts too from them.  It comes only in black so he, like I plan to do, painted it a brown to mimic the M1A (M-14).

There are other handguards people use, ones with mounts for red dots, scout scopes, etc. Some take actual M1A handguards and cut them down to fit their mini-14/30s.

Link Posted: 2/23/2015 8:41:58 PM EDT
[#11]
I love the M14 look on a mini-14, here is the stock and handguard I've been working on:
http://www.perfectunion.com/vb/ruger-mini-14-mini-30/102203-walnut-handguard.html

Link Posted: 2/24/2015 11:19:14 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I love the M14 look on a mini-14, here is the stock and handguard I've been working on:

http://www.perfectunion.com/vb/ruger-mini-14-mini-30/102203-walnut-handguard.html

(made it hot for ya)

View Quote

I like that one too as the wood handguard gives it that M1 Garand look.

Link Posted: 3/6/2015 6:07:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 2:20:38 PM EDT
[#14]

Mini14 Tactical with Aimpoint PRO mounted in a 30mm ring.
I had to mount a scope to get small groups though.
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 5:02:55 PM EDT
[#15]
I like that and I really like that green stock.
What kind of groups did you get with what optic and ammo?
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 6:30:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 1:16:46 AM EDT
[#17]
The Mini is a great little rifle. It's highly dependable (when you run factory mags or find the right aftermarket mag), will eat whatever you feed it and, maintenance is minimal. Oh yeah, they are also a lot of fun to shoot!

I currently own a 185 Series .223/5.56 bought in 1987, 180 Series .223/5.56 bought in 2012 and a 189 Series Mini Thirty bought in 1989. The 180 is an interesting beast. Totally different then the 181+ Mini's. And one of these days, when I find a 581 Series 18.5" barreled Tactical (Patrol Rifle). I'll add it to the old tool box.

I was hoping this year Ruger would show it a little love, didn't happen though. Maybe next year. I'd like to see a true heavy barrel Tactical, with a accommodating gas block (like what ASI has been doing). With the Wylde .223/5.56 chamber and barrel lengths of 16", 18" and 20". Would also like to see the factory folder again. One can dream right?

The AR platform is fun. And it's modularity is awesome. Being able to change any aspect of the rifle, is what makes it very attractive. Especially since you really don't need any gunsmith skills to do it. And it's not very hard to assemble a rifle that can shoot sub MOA @ 100 yards all day long, with the right shooter.

Is one better then the other, nope. Both rifles have their place and there is pro's and con's for each. I personally like having options. But if I had to choose, I'd grab my 185 Series in a heart beat. :)
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 1:30:42 AM EDT
[#18]
I have had good luck out of mine (wife's) never failed she can bust clays at 70yards using factory sights.  Not an AR but she really likes it and it is reliable so what do you do?
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 6:32:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 1:57:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

With a Weaver 1-3x I was getting 2-3" with Wolf ammo at 100 yards.
With better brass ammo (Fiocchi, Federal) I got 2" and occasionally better.
(All 55gr.)

I was impressed with that but I think I could have done better with higher magnification.

The stock is the Ruger polymer with OD Cerakote applied.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 6:37:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

(All 55gr.)

I was impressed with that but I think I could have done better with higher magnification.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

(All 55gr.)

That's some great shooting! Thanks for the update.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:59:02 AM EDT
[#22]
It's a sh*tty pic, but this is why I love my Mini-14.  25" folded and NOT an SBR.

Link Posted: 8/13/2015 12:47:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
It's a sh*tty pic, but this is why I love my Mini-14.  25" folded and NOT an SBR.

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd72/jeepjohn/IMG_0956_zpsmgwslvim.jpg  
View Quote

Did you cut down the barrel and permanently attach the front sight/bayonet lug?  That's the nicest Mini-14 I've seen; I love how short it is.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top