Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/28/2014 7:45:05 PM EDT
I picked up my new Mini-14 at Walmart during their Black Friday 20% off sale and now I have a question about it. The rifle seems very nice, but I would like a slip on flash hider and a metal buttplate. Are either of these made for the New Ranch Rifles?

Pic:

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 8:24:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 8:39:45 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This is the flash suppressor you want to get.  Don't bother with any others.  The longer flash suppressors are just that: longer; they don't suppress flash any better than the one linked above.  http://www.riflestock.com/store/do/product/RCC/07-07-22

As with any modifications to your Mini, Ruger takes a very dim of such.  So, before making any permanent or semi-permanent mods to your Mini, make sure to fire it sufficiently so that you are sure you won't need to send it back to Ruger for warranty work.  If you think it might be a good idea to obtain some factory-fitted spare parts, such as firing pins, extractors, and so forth, send the Mini back to Ruger before making any permanent changes in the Mini.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I picked up my new Mini-14 at Walmart during their Black Friday 20% off sale and now I have a question about it. The rifle seems very nice, but I would like a slip on flash hider and a metal buttplate. Are either of these made for the New Ranch Rifles?

Pic:

<a href="http://s247.photobucket.com/user/dab969/media/imagejpg1_zps2156a69a.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg141/dab969/imagejpg1_zps2156a69a.jpg</a>

This is the flash suppressor you want to get.  Don't bother with any others.  The longer flash suppressors are just that: longer; they don't suppress flash any better than the one linked above.  http://www.riflestock.com/store/do/product/RCC/07-07-22

As with any modifications to your Mini, Ruger takes a very dim of such.  So, before making any permanent or semi-permanent mods to your Mini, make sure to fire it sufficiently so that you are sure you won't need to send it back to Ruger for warranty work.  If you think it might be a good idea to obtain some factory-fitted spare parts, such as firing pins, extractors, and so forth, send the Mini back to Ruger before making any permanent changes in the Mini.
Thanks, but it doesn't look like that one installs with the factory roll pin, unless I'm missing something. It appears it needs to have two slots drilled in the barrel to pin in on the underside. Is this correct?

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 9:40:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 10:07:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Is there not someone that makes one that just easily pins on like the old style?
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 4:37:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 4:45:17 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Have you considered ordering the flash suppressor/front sight unit from Ruger?  The one for the tactical Mini might fit your Mini just by removing the current front sight, and substituting the new unit. That might be the best alternative.

Just looked.  Apparently the Ruger flash suppressor screws-on, and you don't have a threaded barrel.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Is there not someone that makes one that just easily pins on like the old style?

Have you considered ordering the flash suppressor/front sight unit from Ruger?  The one for the tactical Mini might fit your Mini just by removing the current front sight, and substituting the new unit. That might be the best alternative.

Just looked.  Apparently the Ruger flash suppressor screws-on, and you don't have a threaded barrel.
Do you have a link to what you are referring to?

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 5:11:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 9:06:14 PM EDT
[#8]
I would suggest that you have someone move the rear sight back then thread the barrel for 1/2-28 then you can put any flash suppressor or brake you want on it..  I sent mine to Great West Gunsmithing for the work.

For a steel buttplate you would have to switch to a carbine stock which is different than the rifle stock.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 9:36:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 12:19:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The tactical Mini-14 uses the same front sight  that is on his gun currently.  It is moved back slightly and the barrel is threaded.  Although the Tactical Mini-14's have a 16.125" barrel and the standard Mini's have an 18.5" barrel.  That's why I suggested to move the sight back slightly, maybe 1/2"- 3/4" and have the barrel threaded.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 12:26:56 AM EDT
[#11]
On the factory models how far back is the sight from the flash hider?
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 9:36:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
On the factory models how far back is the sight from the flash hider?
View Quote

I have a tactical Mini-30 so I can get those dimensions, but not sure if they would be the same as the Tactical Mini-14 as the barrels are different diameters and the flash hiders are different as well.   One is for .30 and the other for .223.  I can compare the FH dimensions with my GB model and let you know.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 8:44:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Ok, Mini-14 and Mini-30 flash hiders are the same length.  I measured from the face of the front sight to the face of the flash hider which is 2.450" on the Mini-30 Tactical.  Then measured  from the face of the flash hider to the face of the barrel down inside the flash hider which was 1.686"  The difference would be the distance from the face of the barrel to the face of the front sight which is .764".  Hope this gives you what you need.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 9:25:22 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Ok, Mini-14 and Mini-30 flash hiders are the same length.  I measured from the face of the front sight to the face of the flash hider which is 2.450" on the Mini-30 Tactical.  Then measured  from the face of the flash hider to the face of the barrel down inside the flash hider which was 1.686"  The difference would be the distance from the face of the barrel to the face of the front sight which is .764".  Hope this gives you what you need.
View Quote
Okay, are you saying that there is basically a three quarter of an inch distance between the front of the site face to the rear of the fight hider?

Link Posted: 12/2/2014 1:54:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Okay, are you saying that there is basically a three quarter of an inch distance between the front of the site face to the rear of the fight hider?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, the distance of .764" is from the crown of the barrel to the face of the front sight.  This is the measurement if you had the flash suppressor removed from the barrel of a Tactical model.  This distance is what you would have your front sight moved back to have your barrel threaded to add a muzzle device so that it matched the factory distance.  Again these measurements were taken from a Mini-30 tactical.
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 4:47:14 PM EDT
[#16]
do a search for this little dandy that replaces the factory sight.

Mo-Reaper Muzzle Brake

I had one on an older pencil barrel and liked it. My current Mini is an optics only rifle
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 6:19:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 7:40:29 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
The Mini doesn't need a muzzle brake, since there is very little recoil for a muzzle brake to dissipate.  Not to mention that a muzzle brake may enhance muzzle flash, which would be a distinct--possibly fatal--disadvantage in a tactical situation.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Mo-Reaper Muzzle Brake

I had one on an older pencil barrel and liked it. My current Mini is an optics only rifle

The Mini doesn't need a muzzle brake, since there is very little recoil for a muzzle brake to dissipate.  Not to mention that a muzzle brake may enhance muzzle flash, which would be a distinct--possibly fatal--disadvantage in a tactical situation.

Yeah, I don't want a muzzle break. It would be nice to find a flash hider that pins on like is available for the pre-580 series. Why no one makes one makes no sense to me. Same thing on a metal buttplate.

Link Posted: 12/7/2014 9:19:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 10:38:18 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Curved metal butt plates were once offered as an aftermarket item, but I have looked for them without success for a long time.  Contact me if you find a source.

What i did was to have my gunsmith install the Choate Front Sght/Flash suppressor assembly.  Never even thought of looking back.  YMMV.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mo-Reaper Muzzle Brake

Yeah, I don't want a muzzle break. It would be nice to find a flash hider that pins on like is available for the pre-580 series. Why no one makes one makes no sense to me. Same thing on a metal buttplate.  

Curved metal butt plates were once offered as an aftermarket item, but I have looked for them without success for a long time.  Contact me if you find a source.

What i did was to have my gunsmith install the Choate Front Sght/Flash suppressor assembly.  Never even thought of looking back.  YMMV.
PM sent

Link Posted: 12/8/2014 12:46:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Curved metal butt plates were once offered as an aftermarket item, but I have looked for them without success for a long time.
View Quote

Numrich has the curved metal butt plates HERE.

They will only work on the carbine type stocks.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 4:53:04 PM EDT
[#22]
I wonder if anyone has gotten their bolts lapped and what effect it had on the accuracy?  Anyone here done it?
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 6:27:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 10:28:20 PM EDT
[#24]
How was the turn-around-time on the work and communications?
That is some good pricing for cut, crowned and threaded.  Makes one think about gong  AC-556K  SBR from a folder GB. Hmmmm/

Quoted:

As a general principle, moving the front and rear sights closer together makes for  less accuracy, because the sight radius is decreased by doing so.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would suggest that you have someone move the rear sight back then thread the barrel for 1/2-28 then you can put any flash suppressor or brake you want on it..  I sent mine to Great West Gunsmithing for the work.

For a steel buttplate you would have to switch to a carbine stock which is different than the rifle stock.

As a general principle, moving the front and rear sights closer together makes for  less accuracy, because the sight radius is decreased by doing so.

Link Posted: 12/22/2014 3:31:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
How was the turn-around-time on the work and communications?
View Quote

Pretty quick, it was probably 2.5 weeks.  Since he's in Oregon and I'm in Washington shipping wasn't long either.  Didn't have any problems.
Here's how it looks now except with a factory type flash hider...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top