Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/13/2014 9:19:49 AM EDT
Started shooting ARs and hand guns last year at age 58.  

Brand new to the hunting world and bought my first center-fire hunting rifle:  The Ruger American 30-06.

Went to youtube.com but cannot find any videos on field striping and cleaning.  

I'm a total no0bie and need some guidance,

Any sources of help?

Thanks in advance,

Link Posted: 10/13/2014 10:54:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Talk about a late bloomer  I had a bb gun by age 8 and a 22 at 10.

So I do not own a ruger like yours, have an older ruger bolt gun in 300WM.   All I do for cleaning is remove the bolt, not sure how yours come out, and wipe it down, then leave a VERY thin( think rag with a few drops ) film of oil on it.
Using a 30 cal bore brush coated with your clp/hoppes/bore cleaner, from the chamber, scrub the bore .  I usually do 15-20 passes.  You are trying to get any copper fouling out, I have not had a problem with that in my 30-06.
then swap tips on the rod, with either a proper jag, or the slotted tip and push patches thru till they are clean.  Then I clean the chamber with a GI toothbrush and patches.   One more patch down the bore with a couple drops of CLP or oil.   Pretty much just wipe out the action with a rag and a bit of CLP, leave a fine film of oil on the bolt lug area.
Put your scope caps on to keep any crap off the lens.    Do not go overboard on lube on the bolt or receiver, that will accumulate over time and can cause problems in cold weather.
I never tear down my bolt or pull the action from the stock.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 11:48:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 9:29:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys, guess I was over thinking it.  

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 9:10:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Once you figure out how the bolt comes out it's pretty easy.  Unless you're shooting a LOT, most of your work will be with the barrel and chamber.  Everybody has their own opinions and system, but here are some things that work for me:  1.Get a good one piece cleaning rod.  I have a vinyl covered steel and a nylon covered one (Dewey brand; I like it best).  2. Get or make some sort of cleaning stand.  Having your rifle flop around on the kitchen table just doesn't work.  3. A needle oiler is a great thing to have as well.   It works for things in the bolt, and can reach down to put a tiny drop of oil exactly in the right spot for trigger stuff.  4. Speaking of the bolt, spend some time with a toothbrush, dental pick and some rags.  The face of the bolt needs to be very clean under the claw that extracts the cartridge, and the lugs need to be clean as well.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 7:51:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top