Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2014 12:18:29 PM EDT
http://ruger.com/products/ar556/models.html

Could have a street price of around $600. Looks pretty good.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 12:22:31 PM EDT
[#1]

Really...................
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 12:26:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, another 5.56 AR.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 12:37:17 PM EDT
[#3]
 really really
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 1:26:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I think this is a good thing.  A major gun maker coming out with a well-equipped AR with a street price of around $600.  I will probably buy one.  

I love how everyone is so butt hurt over Ruger releasing 4 new(ish) products in the course of 4 weeks.  As a firearms culture we've become totally spoiled and complain when it's not exactly what we want.  We are living in the golden age of firearms and everyone wants to bitch about it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 2:30:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think this is a good thing.  A major gun maker coming out with a well-equipped AR with a street price of around $600.  I will probably buy one.  

I love how everyone is so butt hurt over Ruger releasing 4 new(ish) products in the course of 4 weeks.  As a firearms culture we've become totally spoiled and complain when it's not exactly what we want.  We are living in the golden age of firearms and everyone wants to bitch about it.
View Quote

It's a friggin base AR in an AR saturated market........you expect us to do backflips over it????

Doc
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 3:09:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

It's a friggin base AR in an AR saturated market........you expect us to do backflips over it????

Doc
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doc

Not really what I said at all.  It's another player in the AR market at what will probably be a very hard to beat price.  No, I'm not doing backflips but I'll probably end up with one at some point.  My observation above was based on people's inherent need to find something to bitch about.  Thanks for helping me make my point Doc.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 5:08:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Doc
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doc

It will destroy Freedom Group Sales.

I want one.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 6:13:09 PM EDT
[#8]
PSA has a Bushy advertised right now for 449.00 after rebate.  I don't see this as being that great of a deal and definitely don't see it putting anyone out of business in todays market.

I am a big Ruger fan and own many.  I just think so many times they come too late to the party and act like it is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Doc
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 6:27:10 PM EDT
[#9]
I think it's cool. Would be nice if barrel was chrome lined. Price is good
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 6:56:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I think it's cool. Would be nice if barrel was chrome lined. Price is good
View Quote

Chrome lining is not a deal breaker for me. My only current AR is not chrome lined.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:54:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Wow! How did I miss Ruger's product launch? I checked their website yesterday morning and didn't see anything there. I guess I should have checked it again last evening.

Anyway, I have had one of the new AR556's for a couple weeks and was one of the "jury testers" for the new rifle. As I understand it, Ruger sent a fairly small quantity of these out prior to the official launch to get some last-minute feedback.

There's really not much to be said about the gun that most of us here are going to be impressed with. It uses a 4140 unlined and untreated barrel, a semi-auto bolt carrier with the "Colt" notch and comes with some pretty darned cheap plastic furniture. The furniture I can overlook since probably nine out of ten AR owners change out whatever comes on a rifle with their pet brand of stocks, pistol grips, etc.

My initial reaction to this gun was kind of negative based on the choice of an unlined barrel, carbine gas system and unique front sight base. But now that I've shot the rifle a little bit I think it's as about as good as can be had for the money and think the rifle will sell well based on price point alone. Ruger fully expects these new guns to sell right around the $600 range and I assume that once the newness wears off, the price will settle down into the mid-fives.

Anyway, I will get some pictures up here shortly. If anyone wants to see photos of anything specific or has a question about features, etc let me know. I'll do my best to answer.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:38:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Wow! How did I miss Ruger's product launch? I checked their website yesterday morning and didn't see anything there. I guess I should have checked it again last evening.

Anyway, I have had one of the new AR556's for a couple weeks and was one of the "jury testers" for the new rifle. As I understand it, Ruger sent a fairly small quantity of these out prior to the official launch to get some last-minute feedback.

There's really not much to be said about the gun that most of us here are going to be impressed with. It uses a 4140 unlined and untreated barrel, a semi-auto bolt carrier with the "Colt" notch and comes with some pretty darned cheap plastic furniture. The furniture I can overlook since probably nine out of ten AR owners change out whatever comes on a rifle with their pet brand of stocks, pistol grips, etc.

My initial reaction to this gun was kind of negative based on the choice of an unlined barrel, carbine gas system and unique front sight base. But now that I've shot the rifle a little bit I think it's as about as good as can be had for the money and think the rifle will sell well based on price point alone. Ruger fully expects these new guns to sell right around the $600 range and I assume that once the newness wears off, the price will settle down into the mid-fives.

Anyway, I will get some pictures up here shortly. If anyone wants to see photos of anything specific or has a question about features, etc let me know. I'll do my best to answer.

View Quote

It does look like a price point gun but they do ship with a magpul mag and what looks like a Ruger branded magpul grip.  Can you confirm that?  I could care less about the handguard and stock.  I don't own an AR that still wears a factory stock or handguard.  Can you show some pictures of how it groups?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:11:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

It does look like a price point gun but they do ship with a magpul mag and what looks like a Ruger branded magpul grip.  Can you confirm that?  I could care less about the handguard and stock.  I don't own an AR that still wears a factory stock or handguard.  Can you show some pictures of how it groups?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The pistol grip looks rather Magpul-esque but it isn't a MIAD or MOE or whatever with a Ruger logo.  It appears to be something unique to, and made especially for, Ruger.

As for accuracy, I haven't mounted an optic to the rifle nor have a given it a test with decent ammo.  Pretty much everything I've burned through it has been Tula and other brands of blasting fodder.  Anyway, the gun shoots about like they all do when running the cheap stuff.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:52:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Showing up on gunstroker already.  I especially like the price that's near full retail.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=445004648
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 5:49:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Showing up on gunstroker already.  I especially like the price that's near full retail.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=445004648
View Quote

$625 shipped isn't bad at all.  I'm curious to see where the price settles down to.  I'm going to guess mid-$500's.  
http://www.vizardsgunsandammo.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=736676085002
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 5:59:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

$625 shipped isn't bad at all.  I'm curious to see where the price settles down to.  I'm going to guess mid-$500's.  
http://www.vizardsgunsandammo.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=736676085002
View Quote

Yep.  That's what I'm thinking as well.  Heck.  Model 1Sales gets $535 for a basic M4 kit...
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:30:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Here are a couple photos of the front sight block.  Note the QD socket on the underside:

A couple photos that hopefully help show the threaded collar that works as the handguard retainer:

Standard carbine buffer:

Notched hammer:

Notched bolt carrier:

Chromed bore on bolt carrier:

Staking:

Ruger's pistol grip:

Sorry for the couple blurry photos.  They looked okay on my phone's screen.  Ah, well.

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:22:35 AM EDT
[#18]
The pics are fine enough to demonstrate the features you want to show.

Some of the custom or improved features are minor, however they show that Ruger put forth some effort to create a budget AR that doesn't appear to be hastily slapped together to compete with other budget AR's.

Another nice feature is it's a Ruger rifle that doesn't require factory magazines to function reliably.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:44:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Glad to see them bring out a DI AR, however I would not want the notched hammer/unshrouded carrier, I would have to replace that ASAP. That is a holdover from Colts PC days and needs to go away. The first M4 clone I built on a DPMS kit had that crap and it mangled the firing pin retaining pin every range trip.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 3:08:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Already hitting gunshops in the sub-$600's.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=445345190
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 5:08:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Already hitting gunshops in the sub-$600's.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=445345190
View Quote

my grandpa's shop is selling these at about $585
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:23:13 PM EDT
[#22]
I've now tried a set of Colt, S&W and DPMS Glacier handguards on the Ruger. All have fit without problems.

In better news, the Troy 7" drop-in railed handguard fits right on the gun without issues. Hopefully this means the Troy and/or VTAC Delta will fit and clear the Ruger's front sight base.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 10:23:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Six more mags through the gun yesterday afternoon.  

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 5:07:24 PM EDT
[#24]
$699 at one of the LGS...  my buddy, who went through three SR556 without finding one he liked, just about walked out with it...  :)
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 9:02:25 PM EDT
[#25]
One of the LGS posted on Facebook they have them for $619.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 3:38:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Shop local to me states he received several and has them priced at $639.  Other guys in other threads are saying they can get them for $575 out the door.  I would probably pick one up for sub-$600 out the door.  I am not paying $639 plus tax for one.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 9:29:50 PM EDT
[#27]
I think I'm having just as much fun--maybe more--playing around with YouTube as I am with this new rifle!

Link Posted: 10/14/2014 9:00:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Scratch the Troy/VTAC Delta rail off the list. The rail would have fit-and looked quite nice on the rifle-had Ruger used a traditional AR front sight base.

What happens is the Troy has an internal flange on the bottom length of handguard that fits into the space between the standard GI sling swivel and the bayonet lug. There is no space on the bottom of the Ruger gas black since they chose to use a machined-in QD swivel socket.

I don't know how the Daniel Defense would work. It might clear the area on the bottom of Ruger's front base just fine. But unless things have changed, the FSB has to be removed to install the DD. If I'm going to pull the front sight base I'd just replace it with a low profile gas block and use a BCM forend.

Looks like the 7" non free float rails might be the only option without making some mods.

Link Posted: 10/14/2014 10:03:54 PM EDT
[#29]
The fact that it is an AR15 and it is a Ruger, is going to cause major consternation in the flannel shirt FUDD hunters.
It looks good and is price competitively, I might get one just 'because'.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 10:23:32 PM EDT
[#30]
The FSB/QD socket area hitting the inside of the Troy:

Link Posted: 10/15/2014 9:16:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/tokarev/media/Mobile%20Uploads/PSX_20141014_185902_zps055c05a7.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/tokarev/Mobile%20Uploads/PSX_20141014_185902_zps055c05a7.jpg</a>

View Quote

How much modding would it take to fit?
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 9:41:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/tokarev/media/Mobile%20Uploads/PSX_20141014_185902_zps055c05a7.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/tokarev/Mobile%20Uploads/PSX_20141014_185902_zps055c05a7.jpg</a>

It looks like the entire area behind the bayonet lug needs to be removed.  Basically the entire chunk of metal that involves the QD sling swivel socket.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 10:53:37 PM EDT
[#33]
I had been planning on cutting off the QD sling swivel socket with a Dremel followed by dressing up with a file. There isn't much room to work around the handguard cap. I tried knocking out the taper pins in order to pull the front sight block to make it easier to work on but I can only get one taper pin out. The second pin is stuck fast and I cannot get it to budge for the life of me.

I pulled the barrel this morning and dropped it in the mail to Marvin Pitts. I'm sure he'll be able to pop out the taper pin and mill the QD socket off no problem. I also tossed a GI barrel nut and delta ring in the box so he can replace the proprietary Ruger nut while he has the front sight off.

Hopefully all this will allow me to correctly and easily install the VTAC Delta. I'll be sure to post again when I get the barrel back from Marvin.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top