Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/15/2014 1:12:21 PM EDT
Just announced today.  

The way Ruger's been running things lately, the announcements are almost immediately followed by products on dealers' shelves.  I have an order placed already and am hoping I'll see the rifle by the end of the week!

http://www.ruger.com/products/americanRifleRanch/models.html
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 1:36:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Definately like the price. May pick one up depending on the actual street price.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 1:38:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Definately like the price. May pick one up depending on the actual street price.
View Quote

Retail, being $489, is right in line with the rest of the American rifles.  Using that as a guide,  actual selling price should be around $375.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 1:59:15 PM EDT
[#3]
The twist rate is right, and it's threaded. This will be a fun suppressor host.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 2:45:09 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

The twist rate is right, and it's threaded. This will be a fun suppressor host.
View Quote
This.

Link Posted: 9/15/2014 2:48:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I had jokingly posted in another thread that Ruger would launch their 300BLK with a 24" barrel and 1x12 twist.  I'm glad to see they've gone with 16" 1x7 route!
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 3:39:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Still not an upper for the SR556?  FAIL.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 4:15:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Give it time.  The American Ranch is their first offering in this caliber.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 6:34:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Meh, this should have been an easy one for Ruger.  SR556 and SR762 piston systems are identical components other than port size.  Their 2-stage piston just flat-out works, and works well.  
That tells me that other caliber uppers should be a cinch.  
The 556VT (Varmint Target) with 20" SS barrel is still only offered as a complete rifle rather than an upper and it's been out at least two years.  
They had a 6.8 upper offering for a while, but that got pulled from the lineup (I think they backed the wrong horse in that race).  
So far, that (now nonexistent) upper is the ONLY offering they've had in the 5.56 platform.  
300BLK basically begs to be on an AR upper.  Particularly when you're a company that makes an AR with an adjustable gas system!  

And yes, I'm giving it time.  But the relatively hard part (designing the platform/piston system) is done.  The rest is basically some barrel options.  C'mon Ruger, take my money.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 6:50:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Meh, this should have been an easy one for Ruger.  SR556 and SR762 piston systems are identical components other than port size.  Their 2-stage piston just flat-out works, and works well.  
The 556VT (Varmint Target) with 20" SS barrel is still only offered as a complete rifle rather than an upper and it's been out at least two years.  
They had a 6.8 upper offering for a while, but that got pulled from the lineup (I think they backed the wrong horse in that race).  
So far, that (now nonexistent) upper is the ONLY offering they've had in the 5.56 platform.  
300BLK basically begs to be on an AR upper.  Particularly when you're a company that makes an AR with an adjustable gas system!  

And yes, I'm giving it time.  But the relatively hard part (designing the platform/piston system) is done.  The rest is basically some barrel options.  C'mon Ruger, take my money.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think the issue is that 300 blk can be trick to get reliable in its full range in a piston upper. Even LWRC had to release it in DI form.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 12:30:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Retail, being $489, is right in line with the rest of the American rifles.  Using that as a guide,  actual selling price should be around $375.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Figured street price would be around $400. For even less it would be hard to not buy one.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 9:48:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Just announced today.  

The way Ruger's been running things lately, the announcements are almost immediately followed by products on dealers' shelves.  I have an order placed already and am hoping I'll see the rifle by the end of the week!

http://www.ruger.com/products/americanRifleRanch/models.html
View Quote

I would have to disagree with the product on dealer shelves. I have yet to see a 308 or 6.5 Ruger predator.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 8:05:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Here's Jeff Quinn's nice little review:

http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-AmericanRR.htm

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 9:20:01 AM EDT
[#13]
I so want to get in on this rifle, but when I tried a scout out, there was so much bolt slop - when open - that it did not inspire confidence.

I know that matters about as much as a loose license plate holder on a car, but it didn't rub me the right way...
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 9:45:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I so want to get in on this rifle, but when I tried a scout out, there was so much bolt slop - when open - that it did not inspire confidence.

I know that matters about as much as a loose license plate holder on a car, but it didn't rub me the right way...
View Quote

Different platforms.  The Scout is built off the M77 pattern.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 9:52:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

bummer.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 9:55:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Spec sheet says "Rotary Magazine"
Is that a leftover from a rimfire rifle spec sheet?

ETA:  Read the review.  interesting.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 1:03:51 PM EDT
[#17]

don't take my word as a decision maker, go try it yourself.  I'm talking about a tiny not-critical part of the way a rifle I never fired felt to me.

just want to be clear.

Quoted:

bummer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

bummer.

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 12:18:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

I double dog dare you to do a side by side "slop" comparison between the GSR & M77, Model 70, Mauser '98 and '03 Springfield.

Then close all those bolts on a dummy round and check for slop again.

That out of battery clearance is what earned the bolt action it's place as king of reliability in adverse conditions.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 1:31:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I double dog dare you to do a side by side "slop" comparison between the GSR & M77, Model 70, Mauser '98 and '03 Springfield.

That out of battery clearance is what earned the bolt action it's place as king of reliability in adverse conditions.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I never understood why people cared about bolt slop on a open bolt. It is a absolutely worthless test that I used as part of my ignorance meter.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 5:05:39 PM EDT
[#20]
No updates, unfortunately. I haven't received the rifle yet and none have popped up on gunbroken, Bud's, etc. I can only assume Ruger is having a delay in shipping. Perhaps the problem lies with the shipment of stocks from the vendor. I say this because Jeff Quinn's came with a black rather than tan stock.

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 5:50:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
No updates, unfortunately. I haven't received the rifle yet and none have popped up on gunbroken, Bud's, etc. I can only assume Ruger is having a delay in shipping. Perhaps the problem lies with the shipment of stocks from the vendor. I say this because Jeff Quinn's came with a black rather than tan stock.

View Quote

Ruger is on the ball with some but when the Predator version of the American came out it took forever for it to hit stores locally. Sportsmans actually has a few on the shelf now but that is the only place I have seen them.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 6:00:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Yeah, I need that....seriously!
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 9:50:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Interesting gun. Supersonic .300 BLK would be perfect for the type of deer hunting I do.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 10:32:25 PM EDT
[#24]
So are these available for sale yet? My internet search hasn't turned up any in stock.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 10:37:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
So are these available for sale yet? My internet search hasn't turned up any in stock.
View Quote

I don't think so. I don't know what happened.

Link Posted: 10/13/2014 7:40:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hunting season has just begun.  Its the right time to put this on the market.  They know the mall ninjas will buy all year round.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 7:59:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Im Interested, very interested
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 8:10:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Should be an interesting competitor to the Savage Hog Hunter, although that is in .308, not 300BLK.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 8:25:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Should be an interesting competitor to the Savage Hog Hunter, although that is in .308, not 300BLK.
View Quote

The Remington 7 and 700 are the only other guns I am aware of and they are both more money. I think these should do ok but I cant imagine there is a huge demand for blackout bolt guns.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 8:30:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Predator variants took quite a while in fact Sportsmans is the only place I see them. Most places still just look at me like I'm crazy. I am just glad I didn't buy one or a hog hunter because this is a great price point for a gun I won't shoot a lot.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 8:51:45 PM EDT
[#31]
tag
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 8:36:19 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

The Remington 7 and 700 are the only other guns I am aware of and they are both more money. I think these should do ok but I cant imagine there is a huge demand for blackout bolt guns.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It might be down here in the swamps.  Put a can on it, and it would be the best thing to use down here.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 11:40:01 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

It might be down here in the swamps.  Put a can on it, and it would be the best thing to use down here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh I have no doubt on its usefulness I just hope it is more popular than he other bolt guns which aren't selling well.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 11:11:58 PM EDT
[#34]
I've been looking for one for a while. Nobody has seen one and most dealers I've asked have not even heard of it yet, every time I say "Ranch" and "Ruger" in the same sentence they want to argue that I really want a Mini-14.

I called Ruger and, according to the CSR I spoke to, they began shipping the week of the announcement to "some distributors", but she did not specify who.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 11:48:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I've been looking for one for a while. Nobody has seen one and most dealers I've asked have not even heard of it yet, every time I say "Ranch" and "Ruger" in the same sentence they want to argue that I really want a Mini-14.

I called Ruger and, according to the CSR I spoke to, they began shipping the week of the announcement to "some distributors", but she did not specify who.
View Quote

Probably not in any big numbers. Like I said lots of stores havent even gotten the Predators in yet and they were released months before the ranch.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 3:58:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

You have to figure Davidson's will get them first.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:35:17 PM EDT
[#37]
I found a dealer to order me a Ruger 6970, which I ordered at the same time I put money down on a Silencerco Harvester. Now the race is on to see which I get first... the tax stamp or the Ruger

The owner of the shop is going to let me shoot the two together whenever he's able to find me a 6970. Price for the Harvester was $600+ tax, price for the Ruger will be $370+ tax.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:01:15 PM EDT
[#38]
I'm in for one of these in the compact version. Ought to make an outstanding kids gun, or for the petite females in the family.

I even have the perfect scope for it, a compact 4x Sightron.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:28:06 AM EDT
[#39]
Am I speaking crazy talk, when I say I'd prefer a Ruger Scout in 300 BLK?  They just released a .223 model.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:03:49 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Am I speaking crazy talk, when I say I'd prefer a Ruger Scout in 300 BLK?  They just released a .223 model.
View Quote

It's a better gun but would also be three times the price if not more. To me one of the cool things about these is the cost. They have truck gun written all over them.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:39:03 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When suppressors became legal in Michigan, a local gun shop would sell the 16"  .300blk Remington 700's were selling pretty quick.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:24:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have, and love, a GSR... But my hunting weight is 9.8lbs. One of the major attractors for me to the RAR compact .300 is the weight. For a hiking and short range hunting "brush" gun, I don't think it can be beat unless you're a fan of lever guns, which I am not. Even with a suppressor on the end, my Ranch (whenever I get it) is going to come in just a hair over 2lbs lighter than my GSR. With. A. Suppressor. Not saying a .300 GSR wouldn't be neat, but I don't think it would sell. It's kind of a one-size-fits-all kind of gun and .300BLK is definitely not a one-size-fits-all chambering so it just doesn't make sense.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 12:12:48 AM EDT
[#43]
It looks like the 300BLK might finally be shipping. I've got my fingers crossed.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=452837684

Link Posted: 11/14/2014 2:37:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 8:12:32 PM EDT
[#45]
My dealer finally secured my 6970, it will be here Tuesday next week.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 10:08:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Picked it up this afternoon. Everything looks good and feels great... BUT they used four T10 Torx screws for the picatinny rail and I went to remove it and they are INSANELY stuck. I have used heat and still broken FOUR CrMV T10 bits I really don't want to have to Dremel them out... any suggestions? Everything else came apart just fine.

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:51:00 AM EDT
[#47]
What would be about the most effective range for this rifle? I'm pretty new to the 300blk stuff. I have an ar 300blk pistol, but I've been really reluctant to even be interested in it at all and wanted to sell it before even shooting it, up until my suppressor got out of jail. Just curious about this one though since I just bought a ruger american predator in 308, may as well give it a sibling to hang out with!
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 8:27:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
What would be about the most effective range for this rifle? I'm pretty new to the 300blk stuff. I have an ar 300blk pistol, but I've been really reluctant to even be interested in it at all and wanted to sell it before even shooting it, up until my suppressor got out of jail. Just curious about this one though since I just bought a ruger american predator in 308, may as well give it a sibling to hang out with!
View Quote

Depends on a bunch of factors but, typically 200-300 yards. The major factor, for me anyways, is what you're shooting at... I "care" more when I'm shooting at a deer versus a pig or coyote, etc. I personally won't hunt with subs unless it's just pest control, and even then I haven't tried it yet. Bullet selection and load make an enormous difference, especially in this caliber. For example, I'm going to keep the deer load I'm developing inside 200 yards using 125gr. NBTs at ~2,150 FPS with H110... 200 yards is about where the velocity drops below 1,800 FPS which is the minimum speed that particular bullet is known to give reliable expansion. Some bullets will go lower, but many require much more velocity. Even at muzzle velocity out of a hot loaded .300BLK, some copper solids will just pass through meat like XM855 and then you've needlessly wounded an animal and lost your supper.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 11:13:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Man do want this.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 9:31:01 PM EDT
[#50]
I was asked for a size comparison photo on another forum, figured I'd share here as well. This is the compact model with 12.5" LOP between a 16" AR with the stock at the second position and a Gunsite Scout with the stock spacers removed.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top