Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2014 1:31:58 PM EDT
I need some input from those that have more knowledge on the early tang safety 77 Rugers than I.

Basically, I am a huge Ruger fan like many others and I seem to stick with the brand on certain firearms.  I am currently in need of a 338WM with iron sights and have been shopping around. I have a line on a couple older Ruger model 77RS's (one made in 1983 and the other in 1990) for under $500 that are very clean. These would fit the bill perfectly as my other option would be a new Ruger Guide gun. The problem is everything I seem to be reading suggest that Ruger used some questionable barrels during this period and accuracy can be very hit or miss with certain calibers. Another issue is the bottom metal screws can be very torque sensitive and there is a certain order in which you must torque. Many have had to shim/glass bed the action, shim the barrel, play with screw adjustments etc just to get these rifles to shoot under 2-3 MOA. I do understand that it is a hunting rifle and not made for sub-MOA target shooting. However, my fear is that I don't want to pick one of these up and have it turn into a science project just to hit the broad side of a barn. If that is the case, I will just pick up the guide gun and be done with it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 1:34:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Mine is a .308 RSI and does under 2" for the first five out of a cold barrel at 100 yards. I am fine with that.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 1:48:21 PM EDT
[#2]
I had 2, both were basically 2 moa guns (shot from sandbags, not a lead sled)  Both were .300 win mags, and both seemed to do better with 200 grain bullets than the 180's.

I glass bedded the actions of both and fee floated the bbl.  The free floating opened the groups a bit, but I expected that.  Hunting in all kinds of weather I prefer not to have the stock in contact with the bbl, any swelling or movement of the stock translates to pressure on the bbl and can move the group.  Better a slightly open group that stays put than a tight group that moves around, IMHO.

One of the guns had a horrible trigger, I replaced it with a drop in Timney.  That was a nice trigger.    That was the also the gun that got stolen from SLC on the way home for an elk hunt - thus the second rifle.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 9:37:17 PM EDT
[#3]
My lone tang safety M77 is a .257 Roberts that easily shoots 1/2 MOA with handloads. Nothing done to the gun other than lightening the trigger (its about 2 lbs). I understand I may have one of the good ones but I'll take being lucky
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 11:51:32 AM EDT
[#4]
My Dad has one in .22-250 with a heavy varmint barrel that will shoot 1/2 MOA with handloads. Shoots about 1 MOA with off the shelf ammo. Groups start to open up after about 5 rounds though since the barrel isn't free floated.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 5:48:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought a used 30-06 in 1980. Still have it it's my go to gun for deer. I shoot hand loads. Love it. Killed too many deer to count with it. I dropped it out of a tree stand one time, picked it up and test fired it, never lost zero,  I would never sell it, it shoots inch groups with 165 grain spitzer boat tails, find the ammo your gun likes and don't look back,
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 8:24:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a Roberts as well, made in the early 90s and it holds under a inch@100yds, I have a 250-3000 from the 70s that will do better than that, guess I have had pretty good luck with my Rugers.
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My lone tang safety M77 is a .257 Roberts that easily shoots 1/2 MOA with handloads. Nothing done to the gun other than lightening the trigger (its about 2 lbs). I understand I may have one of the good ones but I'll take being lucky
View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top