Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/6/2014 3:43:27 AM EDT
Empty rifle...  insert empty mag and retract bolt.  Bolt locks back on empty mag.

Press mag release, mag drops and bolt flies home.

Empty rifle... lock the bolt to the rear.

Insert loaded mag and inspect...

Bolt face is ahead of the rear of the cartridge.  There is absolutely no way it's going to load.

Calling Ruger to send it in later this am.

No wonder they are replacing uppers and bolts.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 10:13:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Ruger is sending a FedEx label and hopefully, they will get it running right.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 2:10:03 PM EDT
[#2]
What serial number range is the rifle?

Which magazine? Gen2 P-Mag, Gen-3 P-Mag, or other?

Thanks,

Rosco
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 8:35:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Empty rifle...  insert empty mag and retract bolt.  Bolt locks back on empty mag.

Press mag release, mag drops and bolt flies home.

Empty rifle... lock the bolt to the rear.

Insert loaded mag and inspect...

Bolt face is ahead of the rear of the cartridge.  There is absolutely no way it's going to load.

Calling Ruger to send it in later this am.

No wonder they are replacing uppers and bolts.
View Quote

There is nothing wrong with your rifle.  You are not pulling the bolt back far enough for the bolt lock to engage the front of the bolt face.  You are engaging the carrier group.  It feels like it is far enough to the rear so you stop pulling.  I did the same thing when I first got my rifle.  Once the recoil spring broke in a little, it lost that little bit of extra resistance towards the end and I never had the problem again.  This picture shows the bolt lock engaged on the carrier instead of the bolt face.

Link Posted: 8/7/2014 11:16:48 AM EDT
[#4]
There most certainly IS something wrong with my rifle.

I pull the charging handle back FULLY and the bolt stops where it does - on the carrier instead of the bolt.

The rifle malfunctions during shooting, and after examining the rifle, I know why.

ETA: Roscoe,  serial number in the 561-01000 range.  Gen 2 Pmags, although this isn't a mag issue.

Link Posted: 8/7/2014 11:53:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There most certainly IS something wrong with my rifle.

I pull the charging handle back FULLY and the bolt stops where it does - on the carrier instead of the bolt.

The rifle malfunctions during shooting, and after examining the rifle, I know why.

ETA: Roscoe,  serial number in the 561-01000 range.  Gen 2 Pmags, although this isn't a mag issue.

View Quote

I am not going to dispute your new claim that you have a malfunctioning while firing rifle.  But place the butt of your rifle on a firm surface and pull the charging handle all the way to the rear.  Or what you think is all the way to rear.  Then pull even harder and it will come back the rest of the way.

I have been shooting ARs for a long time, and this rifle is the first time I have had this experience.  I swore it was all the way to rear because it felt like a hard stop, like any of my other AR15s or AR10s, but when I realized it was catching the carrier, I pulled even harder and it came back further.  I can not exemplify for you, how much I was sure it was all the way back when it wasn't.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 12:13:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I pulled hard.  Real hard.

But I did some thinking about it and wondered if it might be hanging up on the hammer.  I pulled my Geissele hammer out, and sure enough, with the hammer gone no problem.  Bolt fully retracted.  Easily.

Reinstalled factory FCG.  No problem.  And again, did not have to exert any extra effort for the bolt to fully retract.

Going to reinstall the Geissele and see if problem reoccurs.

Link Posted: 8/7/2014 12:16:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

But I did some thinking about it and wondered if it might be hanging up on the hammer.  I pulled my Geissele hammer out, and sure enough, with the hammer gone no problem.  Bolt fully retracted.

Reinstalled factory FCG.  No problem.
View Quote

I heard someone else mention a Geissele problem before but don't remember the details.  I installed an SSA-E in mine and have had no problems with it.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 12:18:30 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I heard someone else mention a Geissele problem before but don't remember the details.  I installed an SSA-E in mine and have had no problems with it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But I did some thinking about it and wondered if it might be hanging up on the hammer.  I pulled my Geissele hammer out, and sure enough, with the hammer gone no problem.  Bolt fully retracted.
Reinstalled factory FCG.  No problem.

I have had my SSA in there for months and had no problems.

Weird.

I really don't want to have to shoot it with the factory trigger.

Guess there is no sense sending it in...  Guess I can't ask Ruger to make it work with a Geissele trigger in it.

And BTW, thanks for your input.  Made me thing about the situation...  At least I won't have to send it in.

Might sell it, though.

Link Posted: 8/7/2014 12:34:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Are you using the Geissele trigger pins, or some of those KNS bullshits?
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 12:38:35 PM EDT
[#10]
All Geissele.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 2:45:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Your rifle is an early one. The cut for the magazine catch is cut too low in the lower receiver. My original rifle, whcih wouldn't run with Gen 3 P-Mags was 561-013XX. Initially Ruger replaced the upper receiver, bolt, bolt carrier, and polished the feed ramps and chamber. The Lower receiver was not changed.

The rifle would then function with Gen 3 P-Mags, but I couldn't zero the BUIS. I was about 4" at 50 yards with the front sight post cranked all the way down. I suspect Ruger had some "work around" uppers made that carried the bolt carrier group a bit lower than normal to compensate for the magazine being held too low, in order to salvage these lowers. This probably introduced a slight "down angle" situation with the upper assembly, thus the low POI.

I sent it back again and they very graciously decided to replace the rifle with a current production rifle. I don't know range of the serial numbers effected, but I think anything 561-07XX or above should be good to go.

The early rifles would also occasionally hang up the bolt carrier on the hammer. My original rifle did that once and I had to fully collapse the stock and "mortar" the rifle on the deck, while keeping rearward pressure on the charging handle, to get it to come free.

Just get ahold of Ruger and they'll take care of you.

Rosco
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 3:18:19 PM EDT
[#12]

I have had my SSA in there for months and had no problems.
Weird.
I really don't want to have to shoot it with the factory trigger.
Guess there is no sense sending it in...  Guess I can't ask Ruger to make it work with a Geissele trigger in it.
And BTW, thanks for your input.  Made me thing about the situation...  At least I won't have to send it in.
Might sell it, though.

View Quote

I have a Geissele G2S in my replacement rifle. It works fine. No issues. The early rifles clearly had some issues. Let Ruger know that you want the rifle replaced.

Rosco
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 4:16:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Your rifle is an early one. The cut for the magazine catch is cut too low in the lower receiver. My original rifle, whcih wouldn't run with Gen 3 P-Mags was 561-013XX. Initially Ruger replaced the upper receiver, bolt, bolt carrier, and polished the feed ramps and chamber. The Lower receiver was not changed.

The rifle would then function with Gen 3 P-Mags, but I couldn't zero the BUIS. I was about 4" at 50 yards with the front sight post cranked all the way down. I suspect Ruger had some "work around" uppers made that carried the bolt carrier group a bit lower than normal to compensate for the magazine being held too low, in order to salvage these lowers. This probably introduced a slight "down angle" situation with the upper assembly, thus the low POI.

I sent it back again and they very graciously decided to replace the rifle with a current production rifle. I don't know range of the serial numbers effected, but I think anything 561-07XX or above should be good to go.

The early rifles would also occasionally hang up the bolt carrier on the hammer. My original rifle did that once and I had to fully collapse the stock and "mortar" the rifle on the deck, while keeping rearward pressure on the charging handle, to get it to come free.

Rosco
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rosco

Not all of the low magazine catch rifles are bad.  Mine is early, has the low mag catch, and would not feed with Gen3s.  Ruger replaced the upper and the bolt, and it now works perfect, to include a good 50 yard zero with very few adjustments of the sights.

eta: meant mag catch, not bolt catch.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 8:50:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Not all of the low bolt catch rifles are bad.  Mine is early, has the low bolt catch, and would not feed with Gen3s.  Ruger replaced the upper and the bolt, and it now works perfect, to include a good 50 yard zero with very few adjustments of the sights.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rosco

Not all of the low bolt catch rifles are bad.  Mine is early, has the low bolt catch, and would not feed with Gen3s.  Ruger replaced the upper and the bolt, and it now works perfect, to include a good 50 yard zero with very few adjustments of the sights.

Mine is an early one with the original low catch in the 16xx range.  I've had almost zero problems in 160 rounds.  The only issues were two FTF with the next to last round in one DPMS metal mag, and I later found it was a mag problem because the next to last round would get hung up in the mag even out of the gun.  Other than that, it ran 100% with different ammo! and both Gen 2 and Gen 3 Pmags, all on the normal 2 gas setting.  From reading various threads about the "fixes", I get the impression that Ruger just shot gunned the solution by replacing stuff until it worked, without really understanding the real problem.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top