Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/1/2013 9:44:44 AM EDT
Anybody have any experience with Ruger Mini-30s?
I have an opportunity to trade a Glock for one.  
Opinions and experiences are welcome.
Link Posted: 12/1/2013 1:21:05 PM EDT
[#1]
As long as the mini is not beat to shit, it is worth more than most Glocks.
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 6:37:43 AM EDT
[#2]
The magazines are expensive.  I'm not thrilled with the rear sight on mine.  Trying to decide on a scope or tech sights.  Gas port bushing needs changed because mine really tosses the brass.  Despite the above I really like mine and my Mini 14 also.
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 5:50:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The magazines are expensive.  I'm not thrilled with the rear sight on mine.  Trying to decide on a scope or tech sights.  Gas port bushing needs changed because mine really tosses the brass.  Despite the above I really like mine and my Mini 14 also.
View Quote

I recommend this....love mine.
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 6:00:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 6:08:01 PM EDT
[#5]
With all the short comings with the mini-30 (shooting steel ammo is hit or miss, sights suck and sling mount is a joke), I like them.

It took a long time and a lot of work but my is almost done:

Link Posted: 12/4/2013 6:41:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Swing and a miss.  Could have been a great gun, it's too expensive (for what it is), mags are expensive and most brands don't work, the bolt is a mother fucker to get in and out when you are cleaning it and you void the warranty if you use steel case ammo.  1 of 2 guns I regretted buying.
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 11:04:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
you void the warranty if you use steel case ammo.
View Quote

This is not true.  You will void the warranty if you use reloaded or non standard ammo, which is standard with all firearms manufacturers.

My bolt is easily installed and removed on my Mini-30 Tactical.  Maybe you got a lemon, did you consult Ruger regarding the issues you were having?  They have some of the best customer service in the industry.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 5:56:50 PM EDT
[#8]
I had one back in the day, it was a fun gun to have, I bought it strictly as a plinker so I wasn't disappointed.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 9:45:20 PM EDT
[#9]
I like my mini 30. I did some of the common upgrade stuff on my older 189 (I think) series. It's in a hogue overmold stock and it handles and shoots great. If you want mags that work, just buy Ruger mags. They work fine. It's not the most accurate gun I own but it has its place.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 3:11:11 AM EDT
[#10]

You should have mentioned this started as a Mini-14 rebarreled with a mini-30 bolt. and receiver fitted for mini-30 mags.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 11:42:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

This is not true.  You will void the warranty if you use reloaded or non standard ammo, which is standard with all firearms manufacturers.

My bolt is easily installed and removed on my Mini-30 Tactical.  Maybe you got a lemon, did you consult Ruger regarding the issues you were having?  They have some of the best customer service in the industry.
View Quote
My manual clearly stated not to use steel case ammo and that you had to "wiggle" the bolt to get it out.

Edit, may be high, just read the manual online, not sure it's the same edition that came with mine but it doesn't say either.  Knowing what I know now I would have just used steel case ammo but the issues I had with the bolt and magazines were enough for me.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 9:19:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You should have mentioned this started as a Mini-14 rebarreled with a mini-30 bolt. and receiver fitted for mini-30 mags.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

or it was a mini-30 that with a receiver change..lol!
Link Posted: 1/1/2014 6:53:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Just know its not an AK. My Tactical is money! Hates steel ammo and the 20rndrs are not 100% loaded with more than 16rnds. That said, find the right ammo and it shoots awesome. Its a hunting/ scoutish gun, accept that and u'll be happy. My bro has one too and he feels the same. Hogs beware!
YMMV
Link Posted: 1/13/2014 11:30:53 PM EDT
[#14]
I finally have my used 189 series Mini 30 all dialed in. I love it. Shot a pile of Wolf and Tula on Sunday, it's tight. I'm getting a little over 1 MOA @ 100 yds. I'm really pleased.

" />
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 5:26:32 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm loving the tactical 30.... Fatter barrel.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 6:55:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Nice 30's.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:07:34 PM EDT
[#17]
GET SOME!
Love it..

http://i.imgur.com/RKuqwSb.png
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 5:40:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 9:39:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
What scope mount and stock is that?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
GET SOME!
Love it..

What scope mount and stock is that?  

Warne QD high 30mm ring.
Thats the factory synthetic stock.  Ive had a few stocks on the mini, and i find the factory to be the best IF YOU  BED IT.  Otherwise its loose and sloppy.
The hand guard is by choate.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 9:37:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 11:07:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Hi,

I now have the Deerfield, the 30 and the 14. Out of all of them, I like the 30 the best. I have never had a problem with mine either. I shoot TulAmmo if it matters to you.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 2:30:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
GET SOME!
Love it..

View Quote

How stable is that dot with only one ring holding it.
I like the set yo but I'm worried if I go that route it may become loose and our damage my receiver.
Thanks
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 7:24:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I like the set yo but I'm worried if I go that route it may become loose and our damage my receiver.
Thanks
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
GET SOME!
Love it..

Thanks

The warne ring is high quality.  Thing is on solid, no worries.  
You don't use 2 rings on a scope so it doesn't fall off.  You use two rings on a scope because they are so long and can bend therefor loosing accuracy.  A problem a red dot doesn't have.

I went in on the set with a guy.  He's had no problems either
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 8:50:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Having shot one for the first time yesterday, I like it quite a bit. It was a brand new tactical model. The trigger was smoother than a standard AR trigger and it was a sweet shooting carbine. Personally I would trade a Glock for a mini 30. I had a g21 and would rather take the mini-30.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 2:32:38 PM EDT
[#25]
I have had my mini30 since about 1999.  Stainless ranch version that I mounted a Leupold 3-9X40 Rifleman on.  I did remove the front sight from the barrel as light would glare into the scope while spotlighting hogs.  I put the rifle in a Butler Creek stainless side folding stock.  I really like the rifle for hog hunting.  The only negatives are that after market magazines suck and are not dependable.  The other is that I do get occasional light primer strikes resulting in steel cased ammo not going off until the second trip through a magazine.  I replaced the hammer springs with aftermarket Wolf springs and still get occasional misfires.  I am wondering if the firing pin was too light.

I get about 1" groups at 100 yards with my mini30.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 2:55:48 PM EDT
[#26]
I like the minis.  Lots of disdain here on arf for them, and I will always grab one of my ARs, but...

Mine are old and accurate :)

Anyhow I would trade one of my Glocks for another 30
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 4:15:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I like the minis.  Lots of disdain here on arf for them, and I will always grab one of my ARs, but...

Mine are old and accurate :)

Anyhow I would trade one of my Glocks for another 30
View Quote

.500 S&W Glock with 12 round mag and I would trade you.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top