Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/4/2017 10:56:44 PM EDT
I finally got my approved Form 1 with stamp back from the ATF and I'm planning on getting it engraved this coming Tuesday with my trust info... BEFORE slapping a stock on it.

Anyway, my question is where is the best location AND the less conspicuous area for the required engravings? I heard that it's legal to engrave the info on the barrel, in the area under the handguard, as well as the area on the bottom of the receiver's trigger tang, which is completely covered when the trigger housing is in place... With that said, I heard that the markings/engraving has to be in an area that requires no tools to make them visible. I'm also thinking about in the area of the receiver where the barrel Trunnion is welded in place... Again, this area would be completely covered up when using the newer pattern wide style handguards verse the older slim version, which I also have.

To the best of my knowledge, both of the above areas require no tools for disassembly since I only need to push out a single locking pin to make them visible.

If I'm totally wrong, which wouldn't be the first time, where would the next best place be? Again, I would like to have the markings in a location that isn't too visible.

BTW, I'll be using an A3 collapsible stock on this SBR and I'm hoping to go with an early/mid 80s look on this MP5 clone... Excluding the threaded barrel tip, which I could live with. That was the first time I shot a MP5 for the first time while stationed in Germany.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 11:52:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I finally got my approved Form 1 with stamp back from the ATF and I'm planning on getting it engraved this coming Tuesday with my trust info... BEFORE slapping a stock on it.

Anyway, my question is where is the best location AND the less conspicuous area for the required engravings? I heard that it's legal to engrave the info on the barrel, in the area under the handguard, as well as the area on the bottom of the receiver's trigger tang, which is completely covered when the trigger housing is in place... With that said, I heard that the markings/engraving has to be in an area that requires no tools to make them visible. I'm also thinking about in the area of the receiver where the barrel Trunnion is welded in place... Again, this area would be completely covered up when using the newer pattern wide style handguards verse the older slim version, which I also have.

To the best of my knowledge, both of the above areas require no tools for disassembly since I only need to push out a single locking pin to make them visible.

If I'm totally wrong, which wouldn't be the first time, where would the next best place be? Again, I would like to have the markings in a location that isn't too visible.

BTW, I'll be using an A3 collapsible stock on this SBR and I'm hoping to go with an early/mid 80s look on this MP5 clone... Excluding the threaded barrel tip, which I could live with. That was the first time I shot a MP5 for the first time while stationed in Germany.
View Quote

There's an active thread on this in the HK sub forum. The receiver tang is no longer acceptable.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 12:22:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Inside the channel where the A3 arms slide.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 12:28:10 AM EDT
[#3]
If I was going to SBR my MP5 I would go in the stock channel like this photo.

Link Posted: 6/12/2017 11:25:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I also like in the channel. Just hope it doesn't get f'ed up. If it does, it's hard to find someone who can fix it there.

If I ever do it again, I might try it on the barrel, that way I could always have the barrel changed sometime in the future if I wanted to sell.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top