Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/25/2017 4:02:50 PM EDT
Just seen where an ATF reversal letter on March 21, 2017 was released permitting shouldering of pistol braces.

Article
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 5:52:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm sure this is a dupe, but I'm not hunting for it.

In any case, this is the first article I've seen to day that actually includes a link to the ATF letter itself.  

ATF Letter

So sounds like now they're saying "Oh no, we didn't mean shouldering a brace makes a SBR... we meant modifying the brace and THEN shouldering it makes it an SBR".
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 11:53:48 PM EDT
[#2]
edited...BW

The BATF still has the power to determine what your intentions are, just as they always have, so in reality, it does not change anything.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 11:58:29 PM EDT
[#3]
deleted...BW
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 12:03:32 AM EDT
[#4]
deleted...BW
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 12:57:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There is a long thread going on in the Pistol section and a really long thread in the GD section, but in this section, these are not pistols, they are SBR's  Should be merged with the topic in the Pistol section.
View Quote
Link to these as I looked and couldn't find them and this post is from the March, 21 2017 letter that pistol braces can be shouldered just not modified..

Also, in the case of this article and new letter about usage the "shouldering" relates to sbr.  

Makes no difference to me as I don't use the braces because I just do the paperwork and sbr.  But I just found it interesting about the ATF's new stance and this is new information and thought I would share with others.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 1:05:59 AM EDT
[#6]
It's a heated discussion with the F dah ATF emotions running high and since you didn't see the GD thread about it, or possibly the other stand off threads about it putting the SBR and F dah ATF crowds at each others throats.

I just don't want to see it in here to be quite honest. Although I can see where you're coming from, I just don't want their GD antics in Tech because they cannot be civil or even be adult enough to agree to disagree.

Until the ATF drops SBR's from the NFA, this will be a PITA topic.

Link Posted: 4/26/2017 1:10:13 AM EDT
[#7]
deleted...BW
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 1:29:20 AM EDT
[#8]
deleted...BW
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 1:47:26 AM EDT
[#9]
edited...BW

...but again, it concerns pistols and not SBR's, but it has been discussed a lot the last couple of days and the issue of the letter by the BATF, really has not changed anything, they still have the power of determining what your or my intent is when it comes to these classifications of guns.

When it is all said and done, they determine what your intent is, we really at this point in time, still have no say in what our intent was or is.

The NFA needs to be repealed and the agency needs to be changed..
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 9:55:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Maybe the ATF is using the "reversal/clarification" to quell the submission of SBR paperwork for a while. Less people SBR and more people pistol brace. Then at some time in the future the ATF reverses their reversal and start the cycle again! Seems like some kind of weird game the monarchs play with the peasants. Or they invested in SB Tactical.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 10:36:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It has been duped to death.  The BATF still has the power to determine what your intentions are, just as they always have, so in reality, it does not change anything.
View Quote
Fwiw, I believe this thread belongs in SBR because the ATF reversal has a direct impact on the "go SBR or pistol?" decision.

Also, I read the letter and it's pretty clear to me that ATF has no role in determining your intentions wrt shouldering a brace. Seems to me if the brace is unmodified then shouldering it is no issue. If you modify the brace you have redesigned it, and you have expressed your intent.

I recognize that guys who make the choice to file forms and pay stamp taxes have made a commitment to more than the toy of the moment, but for the SBR owner there are good reasons to own a pistol lower. Last minute unexpected interstate travel is one, loaded pistol vs loaded rifle is another, for me loaning a thermal equipped under 16" upper to a predator hunting bud when I can't make it is another. There are more...

JPK
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 5:57:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
for the SBR owner there are good reasons to own a pistol lower. Last minute unexpected interstate travel is one, loaded pistol vs loaded rifle is another, for me loaning a thermal equipped under 16" upper to a predator hunting bud when I can't make it is another. There are more...
JPK
View Quote
As an owner of 7 SBRs, I think you have convinced me to add a braced pistol lower to the safe! I've been thinking about an 8" 458 Socom upper but I hate uppers with no lower so I think this will be a great solution.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 6:21:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I recognize that guys who make the choice to file forms and pay stamp taxes have made a commitment to more than the toy of the moment, but for the SBR owner there are good reasons to own a pistol lower. Last minute unexpected interstate travel is one, loaded pistol vs loaded rifle is another, for me loaning a thermal equipped under 16" upper to a predator hunting bud when I can't make it is another. There are more...

JPK
View Quote
None of those reasons apply to me as an SBR owner, to get a pistol brace "pistol."

I travel with a pinned and weld 14.5 because I want the added ballistics. My SBR is a house gun. Loaded pistol versus loaded rifle means nothing as I can legally do both. In the front seat. Hidden even. Still legal. Your state laws do not apply to my state laws.

I am sure you can make more reasons and I am sure I can make more reasons why they do not apply.

So again, this needs to not be in SBR forum.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 10:31:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

.... My SBR is a house gun.

Loaded pistol versus loaded rifle means nothing as I can legally do both. In the front seat. Hidden even. Still legal. Your state laws do not apply to my state laws.

I am sure you can make more reasons and I am sure I can make more reasons why they do not apply.

View Quote
Thanks for reinforcing my points on why this thread should remain in SBRs, where we have members from across the nation.

JPK
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 11:24:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Thanks for reinforcing my points on why this thread should remain in SBRs, where we have members from across the nation.

JPK
View Quote
It didn't reinforce not one point on why a pistol topic belongs in SBR. One is NFA, the other isn't. That should be the obvious clue.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 8:31:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 3:29:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Has there been any clue if their applies to the 'Blade' version of a brace or only to the SB brace?
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 4:48:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Has there been any clue if their applies to the 'Blade' version of a brace or only to the SB brace?
View Quote
FWIW

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 10:38:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Oh great, now we have another "max/min" length regulation for firearms? Now a stabilizing brace cannot exceed 13.5" O.A.L.? By comparing it to "Length of Pull", is this measurement taken from the back of the pistol grip (as actual L.O.P. would be), or the back of the receiver, where the brace attaches? The actual L.O.P. measurement will obviously be different between different types of firearms.

The "Stabilizing Brace Can of Worms" continues to overflow...
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 12:36:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Length of pull is properly measured from the muzzle side of the trigger to the center of the butt, or, in this case, the blade.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 7:28:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Oh great, now we have another "max/min" length regulation for firearms? Now a stabilizing brace cannot exceed 13.5" O.A.L.? By comparing it to "Length of Pull", is this measurement taken from the back of the pistol grip (as actual L.O.P. would be), or the back of the receiver, where the brace attaches? The actual L.O.P. measurement will obviously be different between different types of firearms.

The "Stabilizing Brace Can of Worms" continues to overflow...
View Quote
What?  Length of pull is measured from the trigger face to the back of the buttstock, or back of the blade in this case.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top