Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/10/2017 4:05:51 PM EDT
I've got a 10.00 5.56 AR15 SBR. Runs great with steel case and xm193. There is no brass deflector as it is a m16 slick side upper. Steel ammo ejects at 5 o'clock and brass at 2 o'clock in a nice neat pile. I'm getting just the slightest mark , maybe ejector smear, not quite sure with brass cases ammunition. I'm using an original xm177 full round carbine buffer. Should I be worried or shoot the piss out of it ? Maybe convert my buffer to H1 or H2 with KAK industries tungsten weights ? Advise is appreciated.

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 4:09:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 4:23:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just buy an H2 buffer, they aren't that expensive.
View Quote

Would that help reduce felt recoil? My 10.5 lmt got a pretty good snap to it even with a break on it.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 8:52:57 PM EDT
[#3]
OP, an over gassed rifle can show pressure signs when pressure is fine bacause the bolt begins to open when chamber pressure is still high.

A heavier buffer treats that symptom some. An adjustable gas block is the fix, or an adjustable bolt carrier group if you don't want to mess with your front sight.

JPK
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 9:32:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 9:42:52 PM EDT
[#5]
No, a heavier buffer will increase felt recoil, because there is greater reciprocating mass.

If you want to reduce recoil and excess gas, you should use an adjustable gas block, as previously recommended.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 9:45:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 10:00:37 PM EDT
[#7]
What do you think about using a stronger spring instead of a heavier buffer? (assuming the gas cannot be adjusted)
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 11:42:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What do you think about using a stronger spring instead of a heavier buffer? (assuming the gas cannot be adjusted)
View Quote

It would be a band-aid. IMO, the best way to fix the issue is to put an adjustable gas block or an adjustable gas key.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 11:59:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Well yeah, anything other than reducing the gas is a band aid compensating for symptoms instead of fixing the cause.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 12:51:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 12:53:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 10:41:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I hear people calling it a Band-Aid. It may be a Band-Aid but it's a permanent Band-Aid and it's a Band-Aid that works and you don't have to fuck with your gas block.
View Quote

Here's the win. Don't increase buffer weight because it increases reciprocating mass. Do delay bolt opening and reduce BCG speed. You choice of means, FOR THIS UPPER, thus maintaining a standard lower set up that will function with almost any upper, agjustable gas block, adjustable BCG, fixed gas block with smaller port... but every fix which doesn't screw with the lower's adaptability is via the upper, and via gas reduction.

JPK
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:23:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 4:52:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If you really want to tame it down a VLTOR A5 receiver extension and a A55H2 or H3 buffer will be the most optimal solution.

It let you switch to a rifle Buffer spring. The rifle spring last longer and it loads up more gently.

The more you can make your weapon act like a full l length gas system, the smoother it will operate.
View Quote

Everywhere I look the a5 is OOS.

NM...I'm stupid. I can get the whole kit for about the cost of just the extension.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 9:54:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for the replies , a new gas block is out of the question , my SBR has a1 sights. I'm going to order the KNS Lafrance twin gas tube. From the limited info out there on it it should slow the bolt unlocking. I'll post a review of the thing once I get it. I can't find a single review on the web and Lafrance has been making them since the 90's.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 1:51:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Just skimming the thread, no Gemtech carrier?
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 10:06:58 AM EDT
[#17]
I mentioned an adjustable carrier. Lost in the noise about a bandaid for a symptom rather than a cure for the cause, I guess.

JPK
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top