Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2017 10:42:27 AM EDT
I'm sure this has been asked, but I've looked and can't find a thread.

I already have my stamp for my SBR, but I want to purchase different uppers for them. I know that the lower is what is registered as the SBR, but all the uppers I see online say "All NFA Rules Apply". What exactly does that mean? Can I buy a 10" upper without any special paperwork? Or does it have to be added to my trust just to buy the upper?
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 10:45:08 AM EDT
[#1]
No special paperwork. No adding the upper to the trust. Go nuts, buy as many uppers as you like. Just don't put them on anything other than the SBR or a pistol build.
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 10:48:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No special paperwork. No adding the upper to the trust. Go nuts, buy as many uppers as you like. Just don't put them on anything other than the SBR or a pistol build.
View Quote

This is what I thought, I wanted to make sure since most websites online made me assume you need to apply to purchase it just like any other NFA item.
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 10:50:19 AM EDT
[#3]
One caveat....  Don't put an upper on with a barrel length shorter than what was filed on the Form 1.  Longer ok, shorter bad.

Completely bogus info...BW
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 10:54:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
One caveat....  Don't put an upper on with a barrel length shorter than what was filed on the Form 1.  Longer ok, shorter bad.
View Quote
This is false. The law does not care how short your SBR is, it only cares whether you have one or not.
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 11:23:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
This is false. The law does not care how short your SBR is, it only cares whether you have one or not.
View Quote

Yeah that's confusing. I will look at my stamp to see, but I dont' recall if it shows the length of the barrel.
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 11:43:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 11:44:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 11:45:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 1:02:22 PM EDT
[#9]
You can have multiple short barreled uppers for your registered SBR lower.  However legally you need to maintain the upper with the registered configuration (caliber and barrel length).  As long as you still posses and can switch back to that configuration you can "temporarily" change to different uppers (calibers and barrel lengths).

"All NFA rules apply" is just CYA by the retailer to make sure people understand this is a short barrel or short barreled upper and if installed on a rifle lower it needs to be NFA registered.  To purchase and own the SBR uppers no extra paperwork or trust changes.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 1:18:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the clarification everyone.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 2:16:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You can have multiple short barreled uppers for your registered SBR lower.  However legally you need to maintain the upper with the registered configuration (caliber and barrel length).  As long as you still posses and can switch back to that configuration you can "temporarily" change to different uppers (calibers and barrel lengths).
View Quote
This is not accurate. There is no legal requirement to maintain or possess the original configuration. Even permanent changes are acceptable, without ever notifying BATFE, and they don't consider any upper changes to ARs to be "permanent," since they're so modular.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 7:01:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

"All NFA rules apply" is just CYA by the retailer to make sure people understand this is a short barrel or short barreled upper and if installed on a rifle lower it needs to be NFA registered.  To purchase and own the SBR uppers no extra paperwork or trust changes.
View Quote

False.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 8:49:57 AM EDT
[#13]
An SBR is a SBR... Period

The barrel length you list on your F1 is the length the SBR was originally configured.  The BATFE only request that permanent changes be notified in writing, but is not required by law.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 7:11:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
This is not accurate. There is no legal requirement to maintain or possess the original configuration. Even permanent changes are acceptable, without ever notifying BATFE, and they don't consider any upper changes to ARs to be "permanent," since they're so modular.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is really good to know.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 12:22:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Your form has a barrel length and overall length. That's simply the initial configuration for the firearm you made. How it's configured afterwards doesn't matter.
View Quote

The only way we can really know for sure is to write a letter.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 1:43:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The only way we can really know for sure is to write a letter.
View Quote

LOL.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 2:05:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

I was not aware of this.

I'm pretty happy that I it was cleared up, thanks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top