Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/17/2017 9:40:10 PM EDT
Hey guys. I'm getting ready to submit my Form 1 sometime next week to SBR my factory BCM lower. I'm having a tough time making a decision on an upper for my rifle. I want a factory built upper from a reputable company that I shouldn't have any issues with. As far as length goes, I'm pretty set on a 10.5 at this point. Being that I'm taking the time to build an SBR, I want to go as reasonably short as reliability will allow me and that seems to be the point. In a perfect world, I'd like to be under or around $1000, but would spend more to get what I want. Ideally I would like a 10.5" barrel with a 9" or similar low profile rail (VTAC, MI Gen 2, etc). The options above are the ones I'm looking at right now, but there may have been more I have missed. I'm looking for feedback and personal expierence as well as any suggestions or comments. I feel like my biggest issue will be finding anything in stock right now. Thanks
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 9:50:59 PM EDT
[#1]
https://www.shopwideopenarmory.com/collections/noveske-rifleworks/products/noveske-gen-iii-light-shorty-5-56-nato-10-5-chf-complete-upper
Try that. That's the one I just put on my lower. Little more that what you said you want to spend but I've never had a problem with noveske. 
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 10:24:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I voted other. BCM KMR-A ELW-Fluted 11.5" because my OCD would kill me on that and thats what I have too

Its been a great upper. Its crazy light, runs everything under the sun, great suppressed, accurate AF, and my only complaint would be BCM's CH as that MOFO has pinched the ever lovingness out of my finger on a couple occasions. Maybe get the Geissele CH to prevent this but my OCD had to have the BCM CH.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 11:17:26 PM EDT
[#3]
DD MK18 uppers are just plain sweet and flat out work. A little over gassed but will cycle crap ammo.

Another option if you up your budget would be a KAC CQB 11.5 mod 2 upper in you choice of keymod or MLOK.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 11:41:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Screw factory. Have ADCO build it
ballistic advantage Hanson barrel
Geissele or SLR rail
Pick your BCG, CH, gas block, and muzzle device

That being said, if you're being a stickler for a factory gun, KAC 11.5
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 11:44:56 PM EDT
[#5]
None. Something 11.5.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 12:15:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Geissele or SLR rail

View Quote

I voted other because I agree with this. But I'd use a local shop or do it myself. AND I'd use an adjustable gas block which should be an option on the factory uppers, but isn't.

A KAC QCB 11.5 Mod 2 would sure do it for me, but with a Gemtech SBC to tame the gas suppressed. A lower cost option that appeals would be the BCM 11.5" ELF upper, again with a Gentech SBC to tame gas.

JPK
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 10:01:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I voted other because I agree with this. But I'd use a local shop or do it myself. AND I'd use an adjustable gas block which should be an option on the factory uppers, but isn't.

A KAC QCB 11.5 Mod 2 would sure do it for me, but with a Gemtech SBC to tame the gas suppressed. A lower cost option that appeals would be the BCM 11.5" ELF upper, again with a Gentech SBC to tame gas.

JPK
View Quote

I've considered a BCM 11.5, I've just been leaning towards a 10.5 for a while. I agree I could probably get something a little better if it were built, but I'd rather have components matched together that I know work and it takes some room for error out of the equation.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 11:31:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Pick a good forged upper, a quality barrel, a good and guard, a good BCG, an SLR adjustable gas block and use standard carbine stuff in your lower and there isn't much to go wrong.

I really like a 10.5" 5.56 myself, but that BCM upper looks great. I have an original BCM Keymod hand guard on a 16" 6.8 SPC II upper, and it is my favorite hand guard, though the SLR Solo Lite I have on an 11.5" 6.8 isn't far behind.

JPK
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 8:58:05 AM EDT
[#9]
I have had a LMT 10.5 for many years now and could not be happier.

If I were in the market today, I would say get a barrel from Ballistic Advantage and build your own.  They will install a pinned gas-block for $40 on your barrel of choice.  

Factory is over-rated, why not get more for your money?
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 11:22:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Can't go wrong with LMT. I'm about to send in a form 1 and I'm either ordering a 10.5 or a 14.5 MRP barrel and having it chopped to 11.5, unless they make more 11.5's by then.

That being said I'm sure you'd be happy with the Mk18 or if your budget grows a KAC 11.5.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 11:33:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Geissele or SLR rail

View Quote

I'm for this if you want a 10" barrel, I went with the BA 10.3" for my build.
Faxon has a group buy for a 10.3" pencil barrel going on right now also.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 11:34:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Other

For a 10.3/10.5 I'd run a reduced gas port barrel then get the new slick sided geissele rail when available
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top