Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2016 10:14:44 PM EDT
I'm thinking about a Form 1 SBR but am confused as to where to engrave/mark the gun:

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/atf-national-firearms-act-handbook-chapter-6/download

On ARFcom & other sites, I read about engraving or stamping the receiver, yet ATF says EITHER the barrel or the receiver must be marked with the name & address, per 27 CFR 479.102.

Has anyone marked a barrel instead of a receiver? It's easier to reblue a steel barrel then re-anodize aluminium....but I guess it could be spray coated.

The markings have to be at least 1/8" high & deep enough, I know. I realize using alphanumeric punches are tough to get straight & it may look like crap--I'm just interested in location of receiver vs barrel.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 11:16:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Why would you want to stamp the barrel?  Then you could not change uppers or barrels.

Engrave the lower.  You do not need to reanodize.  Do it near the trigger opening, then nobody even sees it
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 11:40:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'm thinking about a Form 1 SBR but am confused as to where to engrave/mark the gun:

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/atf-national-firearms-act-handbook-chapter-6/download

On ARFcom & other sites, I read about engraving or stamping the receiver, yet ATF says EITHER the barrel or the receiver must be marked with the name & address, per 27 CFR 479.102.

Has anyone marked a barrel instead of a receiver? It's easier to reblue a steel barrel then re-anodize aluminium....but I guess it could be spray coated.

The markings have to be at least 1/8" high & deep enough, I know. I realize using alphanumeric punches are tough to get straight & it may look like crap--I'm just interested in location of receiver vs barrel.

Thanks.
View Quote

Just as an FYI, there is no height requirement for the caliber and "additional information," only a depth requirement of .003 inch. The height requirement (1/16") is only for the serial number.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 12:13:20 AM EDT
[#3]
My thinking on barrel engraving instead of the receiver was so that I could always rebarrel it to 16" if I change my mind, send a letter to ATF notifying them it's off the registry & sell it without someone complaining my name & address make the gun worthless.

I've read that engraved, home-made Form 1 guns sell for less than nothing, so being able to reclaim some cash might be preferable. Since the rifle I'm considering is a 10/22 (maybe--I haven't decided), having my name & address would likely effect resale.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 12:24:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Just as an FYI, there is no height requirement for the caliber and "additional information," only a depth requirement of .003 inch. The height requirement (1/16") is only for the serial number.
View Quote

Thank you--I didn't know this but in rereading it, I see what you mean.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 11:22:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
My thinking on barrel engraving instead of the receiver was so that I could always rebarrel it to 16" if I change my mind, send a letter to ATF notifying them it's off the registry & sell it without someone complaining my name & address make the gun worthless.

I've read that engraved, home-made Form 1 guns sell for less than nothing, so being able to reclaim some cash might be preferable. Since the rifle I'm considering is a 10/22 (maybe--I haven't decided), having my name & address would likely effect resale.
View Quote

Exactly how much extra money do you think you'll recover from a used 10/22 that's available from any hardware store and Walmart?  Maybe $50?  We're not exactly talking about defacing an 1873 Springfield...
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 11:45:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Exactly how much extra money do you think you'll recover from a used 10/22 that's available from any hardware store and Walmart?  Maybe $50?  We're not exactly talking about defacing an 1873 Springfield...
View Quote

Exactly. It's a 10/22. There is negligible resale value. Just engrave the receiver.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top