Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/27/2016 1:29:32 PM EDT
Just picked up a DPMS Sportical on Friday for $689.

I already have two AR15's on Form1's from 10+ years ago and I'm thinking this new .308 would be super cool with a shorter barrel. My damn Triple X suppressor is 10" long so it's super silly looking on a 16" barrel.

Link Posted: 11/27/2016 1:42:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I can't say yet, I just finished mine last week. I used an adjustable gas block though, I won't get a chance to shoot it until the end of the month.

Link Posted: 11/27/2016 4:52:22 PM EDT
[#2]
My buddy had a bear of a time getting his 12.5" mega to run

Link Posted: 11/27/2016 6:55:40 PM EDT
[#3]
/\ that's some nice blasters there guy's

what gas system length is on the sportacle ?
shorty 308's can be made to run reliably , especially nowadays with all the adjustable gas systems out there.
my 12.5" 308 has been one of my favorite blasters for many years

Link Posted: 11/27/2016 7:35:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

shorty 308's can be made to run reliably , especially nowadays with all the adjustable gas systems out there.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v619/1iviper/IMG_2423_zpszfa1fkyt.jpg    
View Quote

It's got the carbine length gas system.

Just sent a few subsonics through it today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cNi3MVwc5o&feature=youtu.be
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 9:45:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Aero build with 12.5" barrel.  Runs great.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 9:53:31 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a 12.5 PWS, the only issue I've had was with the M118 (worked fine with regular 20rd pmag) pmags and running it suppressed it would double feed on the 3rd gas setting but switching it to 4 it ran fine.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 11:06:54 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

nice

give Todd at slr rifleworks a call , awesome guy and knows a thing or two about short 308's

Link Posted: 11/27/2016 11:40:33 PM EDT
[#8]
I wonder if my Armalite Carbine would run if cut down to 12.5"? Mid Length might be pushing it.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 11:43:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Have a 11.5 psa, runs fine.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 12:23:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I wonder if my Armalite Carbine would run if cut down to 12.5"? Mid Length might be pushing it.
View Quote

CMMG sells a 12.5" mid length barrel, I have one for my pending form 1 build. I sure hope it works! I have an SLR Sentry adjustable gas block and will be running a Saker 762 so I should be able to get it running reliably. The backup plan is to reload SBR specific loads for it.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 2:28:54 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View Quote
mid gas would be preferable , my armalite runs the intermediate gas system is is a smooth shooter

Link Posted: 11/28/2016 9:25:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
mid gas would be preferable , my armalite runs the intermediate gas system is is a smooth shooter

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where does intermediate fall? I get confused with all the new lengths.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 4:26:27 PM EDT
[#13]
I bought a PA10 when they first came out.  16" SS barrel.  Had gunsmith/dealer chop barrel to 13.75" and pin a YHM mount.  16.10" at end of mount now.  

Way over gassed but runs fine after I took one of the o-rings out from under extractor.  KVP buffer and heavier recoil spring helped recoil but without them it won't eject unsuppressed.  Who cares though?  I don't shoot it without my YHM LT .30 and if I needed to I could switch spring and buffer.  I bought an adjustable gas block for it but don't feel like buying the needed free float rail that would be needed at this time.  

Handles great though with that barrel length and one less stamp.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 5:06:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

One of my favs.  

Back on point...yes, adjust your gas accordingly and enjoy
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 6:21:57 PM EDT
[#15]
What the ideal gas port size for unsuppressed? Some of these rigs have got me thinking of  building one myself.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 8:16:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
What the ideal gas port size for unsuppressed? Some of these rigs have got me thinking of  building one myself.
View Quote

Mine works fine with the standard carbine size port.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 9:03:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you cut a 16" down to 13" or 12.5"......your probably going to be fine.  Especially if you run a can.  
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 1:59:02 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

intermediate falls between mid and rifle , i believe it's 1.5" shorter than a rifle length gas tube.
it's similar in length to the older sr25 intermediate length gas system , although the kac tube is a bit shorter than the vltor intermediate length.  i believe it was because of the way it shouldered up to the gas block.  i think kac still uses their intermediate length gas on their sr15's and have gone to rifle length on the sr25's
sanman28 --- thanks brother

Link Posted: 1/9/2017 8:05:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Looks like I have another Form 1 to do now.

Just picked up a threaded 11.5" barrel for $80. Looks brand new/unfired. Couldn't pass up a deal like that.

Uses the same carbine length gas system I already have and should be a drop-in installation.

Link Posted: 1/9/2017 8:54:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Looks like I have another Form 1 to do now.

Just picked up a threaded 11.5" barrel for $80. Looks brand new/unfired. Couldn't pass up a deal like that.

Uses the same carbine length gas system I already have and should be a drop-in installation.

http://i1169.photobucket.com/albums/r504/yullose/DSC00592_zpslucdm3dt.jpg
View Quote

Heck ya!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top