Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/13/2016 9:34:56 AM EDT
I have a M92 that I'd like to suppress if there aren't too many challenges. I know i'll need to get the threads on the FSB turned down so the barrel can be threaded (1/2x28?) I'm thinking about contacting Class3Machining to do the work unless someone has other suggestions. Do I need to mess with the recoil spring or anything else so I don't batter the receiver with the extra backpressure from the suppressor?

I'm going to use a F1 can direct thread so I won't have to worry about a muzzle device for suppressor mounting, but I would like to use something when the suppressor isn't mounted. I'm currently using a Manticore Nightbrake and would like something else that will perform similarly, but I'm not sure what I'll be able to find depending on how the barrel ends up being threaded.

I originally posted this in the AK/SBR section but I'm not getting much response so I decided to repost here. Also since the original posting I found out about the re-core option for SDTactical tubes so I may go that route instead of direct thread.

Thoughts/suggestions?
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 10:01:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Morgan at C3 machine is the place to go, he's done a ton of these including 2 for me. I'm doing direct thread F1 cans as well...just waiting for the parts to be made. As far as spring tuning etc., As far as I can tell, none is required in order to  keep them functional. A stiffer spring may be optimal for minimizing dB, but that's speculation on my part until I test it!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 10:10:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Morgan at C3 machine is the place to go, he's done a ton of these including 2 for me. I'm doing direct thread F1 cans as well...just waiting for the parts to be made. As far as spring tuning etc., As far as I can tell, none is required in order to  keep them functional. A stiffer spring may be optimal for minimizing dB, but that's speculation on my part until I test it!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Thanks for the info. What thread pitch are yours threaded?
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 6:19:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm in the process of doing this as well, Morgan threaded mine and I'm using a Griffin brake/mount with a f1 can. Ak's are already over gassed and some people have had issues with the m92 out running the mag springs, if I have these issues I plan on drilling a dish(hole) in the face of the piston to help lower the pressure. Zastava already drilled holes in the face of the M85 gas pistons presumably to lower pressures so it does work obviously.
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 7:03:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Good to know, being over gassed is my biggest concern. What pitch is your barrel being threaded?
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 2:34:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Good to know, being over gassed is my biggest concern. What pitch is your barrel being threaded?
View Quote

It's threaded 1/2''-28, I'm running a 5.56 Griffin tapered mount brake that Morgan bored out to 30 cal.
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 11:26:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Looks like I'll have to pick up a muzzle device ahead of time then. Did you disassemble your M92 at all (besides stripping everything possible - handguards, top cover, bolt, pistol grip, etc) and how much did everything cost, if you don't mind me asking?
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 1:34:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Looks like I'll have to pick up a muzzle device ahead of time then. Did you disassemble your M92 at all (besides stripping everything possible - handguards, top cover, bolt, pistol grip, etc) and how much did everything cost, if you don't mind me asking?
View Quote

yes strip everything off before sending it to him, I think it was $65-$70 for the threading and $15 for return shipping.
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 2:47:57 PM EDT
[#8]
yup, Morgan made all my AKs 1/2-28, including my M92. I took all the parts out that can be removed without gunsmithing, he did the rest. Turned out great and now I can use normal muzzle devices also instead of having to deal with funky ass euro threads and LH threads and all that jazz.
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 7:18:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Just fired mine today, 60 rounds suppressed. functioned great, did have some carrier to rear trunnion contact so I ordered a Wolff XP spring.

Link Posted: 11/14/2016 9:17:13 PM EDT
[#10]
I'll be curious how it functions with the XP spring and weaker ammo unsuppressed. F1 or commercial can?
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 9:46:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'll be curious how it functions with the XP spring and weaker ammo unsuppressed. F1 or commercial can?
View Quote

form 1 can
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 9:47:11 PM EDT
[#12]
SDTactical with the $250 core or something else?
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 10:11:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
SDTactical with the $250 core or something else?
View Quote

SDTA Titanium tube and Griffin adapter, DM Ti stepped cone endcap, 7 ZMW 60* 1.355 17-4 cones. sounds like an unsuppressed 22LR with the can on.
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 10:24:33 PM EDT
[#14]
I've been considering doing this with my F1 can, guessing it'll be better than freeze plugs
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 10:48:46 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm not sure how the acme threads work on the SDTA stuff, but I love the Griffin tapered mount lockup. once I snug up the suppressor I never have to worry about it coming loose on me, even after a couple of mag dumps. cores look sweet but damn that's expensive $352 for the core, one of their steel brakes, and thread protector. I have about the same cost as that in my entire can including my Griffin brake/mount.
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 10:50:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Should still be less than half the price of a commercial can once done, seems worth it if the core performs well
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 10:58:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Should still be less than half the price of a commercial can once done, seems worth it if the core performs well
View Quote

True, also if you don't have a way to drill straight holes (drill press with almost no runout). The recore would be a great idea.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 3:53:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Just to update this thread, I've installed the Wolff extra power spring, and milled a 5/16'' hole (.610'' deep) into the face of the piston. it's still over gassed and causing the carrier to impact the rear trunnion, it functions and feeds great it just beats on the trunnion too much. I'm going to cut a thin bypass slot on the skirt of the piston tomorrow, I'll update after.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 10:24:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Just to update this thread, I've installed the Wolff extra power spring, and milled a 5/16'' hole (.610'' deep) into the face of the piston. it's still over gassed and causing the carrier to impact the rear trunnion, it functions and feeds great it just beats on the trunnion too much. I'm going to cut a thin bypass slot on the skirt of the piston tomorrow, I'll update after.
View Quote

So, how did it go?
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 10:10:49 PM EDT
[#20]
here has been my experience with a suppressed Draco, haven't had time to try it again since my last post.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_4_98/160866_Any-AKs-outrunning-the-magazine-when-suppressed---Mine-is-a-Mini-Draco.html

can you attach pics to explain the work you are doing in trying to reduce the gas?   give an idea of how much material is being removed.   why are some AK tubes ported?
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 10:26:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Morgan did the 1/2x28 thread on my M92 as well. My suppressor is a Griffin 30SD, which sttaches to an A2 flash hider that I bored out. Perhaps a tad overgassed but so far it has ran a couple mags of 122gr Wolf HPs perfectly. Just put the Aimpoint on, still need to sight it in.

Link Posted: 12/5/2016 11:03:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Your furniture on that M92 just kills me... GORGEOUS!
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 11:08:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Morgan did the 1/2x28 thread on my M92 as well. My suppressor is a Griffin 30SD, which sttaches to an A2 flash hider that I bored out. Perhaps a tad overgassed but so far it has ran a couple mags of 122gr Wolf HPs perfectly. Just put the Aimpoint on, still need to sight it in.

http://i1155.photobucket.com/albums/p550/Detrhoyt/Guns/20161202_155202_zpsh7gwnypj.jpg
View Quote

I wish there was an easy was to extend and thread a M85 barrel
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 10:11:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

So, how did it go?
View Quote

I ended up having to cut 4 bypass slots 90* apart from each other to get the carrier to stop hammering into the trunnion, it will only run 100% with the suppressor on though. I'm going to buy a second carrier and a new piston from CNC warrior so I can have one carrier to shoot suppressed and one to shoot unsuppressed. I was getting a lot of gas in the face but I solved that by putting an oring on the button so it seals the opening in the dust cover.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 10:12:23 PM EDT
[#25]
almost makes me want to save up for a Wolverine and do something else with my F1 .308 can.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 10:14:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

http://i1155.photobucket.com/albums/p550/Detrhoyt/Guns/20161202_155202_zpsh7gwnypj.jpg
View Quote

if it's over gassed to the point the carrier is hammering the rear trunnion, it can cause SERIOUS problems down the road.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 8:38:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Just thought I'd update again I ran 500 rounds suppressed through it this past weekend, it runs like a sewing machine with the suppressor on it(no malfunctions or carrier to trunnion contact). I thought I'd post pics of the modified piston and where I installed the oring.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top