Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/10/2016 1:11:35 PM EDT
I apologize in advance if this is not the best/correct subforum but I figured yall would be have the most experience in the overall platform and cut down on the responses from those that don't have experienced opinions.

I have a DD MK18 pistol that I am shockingly happy with.  So much so that I find myself wanting to shot it more than anything else in the quiver.  Not much special about it outside of a AFG, magpul 2.0 flips and a sig brace with a non-adjustable locking collar.  There is a fair chance I will make it a proper sbr in the near future but as of now, i'm pretty happy.  Add to that, I got it as is with less than a 100 rds through it for just under half what it would have cost me to buy it new and add the kit on.  As I use it, I am quickly realizing that it is just as accurate as my other stuff  (maybe more...) out at 2-300 yds and think it might be time to put some sort of glass on it.  I had a mid-line Eotech on another platform that I got a smoking deal on and decided to take advantage of the buyback and the check conveniently just came.  

For context, To be honest, I don't get to use it as often as I'd like and while I'm not a mall ninja, I'm not a 3-gun shooter either but I was navy and grew up around shooting as much as most outdoorsy Texas do.  I get it out every month or so with the guys in the open desert around Vegas for general target fun and do some rabbit and coyote trips 2-5 times a year.  I very much like that if I am on a long hike, it is very easy to carry.  Mostly I keep it as first access in the safe.  I consider myself just in the lower half of intermediate abilities and not patting myself on the back but usually get a side-ways look from people when they see that I shoot way better than they thought I would.  I also fully grasp the concept of "buy once, cry once" and that when it comes to most things in this genre, you get what you pay for.  

Having said all that... I come here because the weapon is so short, I don't want to get into something that "seems" right but ends up to be too big and bulky and defeats the purpose of the small, quick, light platforms that I'm so happy with and yall know what works and hasn't.
So what I guess I'm looking for -
1) 1x quick reaction, acquisition cqb abilities
2) probably 3x (no more than 5-6x) magnification if needed.
3) doesn't need to be full battle spec but needs to be ok with some weather and a hit or two.
I would prefer not to spend all of the just south of $600 I got from Eotech (xmas is coming and I have two young kids...) but understand that I might need to.

I was very happy with the Eotech sight picture and have half considered waiting it out and trying to find a deal on a used one that someone is trying to punt and adding a fts magnifier but it gets pretty hot out here and I am a little skeptical of them now, sadly.  I've never been much of a fan of Aimponts but I guess I could be swayed.   Of course, then adding a fts can get bulky again, expensive and heavy.  It would allow me to keep the irons in a co-witness set up as well.

However, I have become very interested in the popularity of the smaller 3-gun style 1-4 and 1-6 items on the market like the Vortex Strike Eagle and similar offerings from Burris, Leopold and the like.  I like that some are illuminated.  While there can be some minor paralax issues, most are still both eye open usable.  The reticles are great for distance (lacking from fts set up).  My only concern is the size.  On this style platform, they appear eat up a lot of real estate(?).  Is that just me?  This option also causes issue with irons.  I guess I could either do a quick release mount or could move the irons to 45degree cant.
The Vortex seems like a solid mid-grade option really geared at shooters like me that aren't budget but aren't NF steppers either.  I have a Viper class on my lr-308 and like it very much.  And you can't beat the warranty.
The Burris offering is a little cheaper, maybe a better reticle, FFP but kinda difficult to see in bright desert light.  
I really like the PA offering for price and reticle but see some comments on glass quality that give me pause.  

I also understand that I may be asking for too much out of one platform and can't have all the things.  

Very much open to suggestions and thanks in advance for the help.  

Link Posted: 11/15/2016 3:39:15 PM EDT
[#1]
save up a little more and find a ta33 in the EE

you won't regret it

Link Posted: 11/15/2016 11:32:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I just finished putting together this 8.5" 300blk. It has the PA 1-6 with ACIS reticle. I'm really liking the reticle. The gun does look kinda goofy with the stock fully collapsed but where I have it right now it looks good and actually fits me better. It is definitely a bit heavier than what I'm used to. My 12.5 5.56 with micro red dot feels like a feather compared to it. I only have 20 rounds through this set up so far but I'm liking it. I should have no problem with it on the close targets and I have no doubt it would do fine in the deer stand.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top