Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/8/2016 6:45:20 AM EDT
Im getting ready to send off 2 Form 1's for SBR's and have a couple of questions.  These will be filed as an individual.  If my name is John Smith and I live in Mayberry, Ohio, then "John Smith Mayberry Ohio" is what needs engraved correct?  Or can my first name be abbreviated to "J. Smith"?  Also, where is the engraving normally located?  Ive read that some engrave the underside of the trigger guard but I put polymer guards on all of mine as well as my habit for changing things and colors after awhile.  I would assume the only safe bet is the opposite side of the lower receiver, correct?  Also, what shops are recommended either here in Ohio or elsewhere for the engraving?

Thank you!
Link Posted: 11/8/2016 7:23:16 AM EDT
[#1]
I can wholeheartedly recommend Veritas Machining here in SW MI.

Mine are very subtly, and legally, engraved on the bottom bevel of the magazine well.
Link Posted: 11/8/2016 7:46:10 AM EDT
[#2]
To the location of the engraving,

The underside of the trigger guard is not the trigger guard itself but the receiver. Mine are engraved name on one side but f the trigger, location on the other side. (I may have read your question wrong but it sounded like you were going to engrave the removeable poly guard)

Link Posted: 11/8/2016 7:59:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/8/2016 8:38:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, when I read "trigger guard" I assume that means guys are engraving the underside of their trigger guard.  I'm not sure where else that would be then??  

Thanks for the recommendations on the shops.  I'll check both of them out.
Link Posted: 11/8/2016 9:05:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Mine are very subtly, and legally, engraved on the bottom bevel of the magazine well.
View Quote

+1. Phil does an excellent job. All my stuff was engraved by him. Highly recommend.
Link Posted: 11/8/2016 9:06:26 AM EDT
[#6]
There are several lowers that have integral trigger guards, and engraving on that should be fine.

Another +1 for Veritas Machining for the engraving - great folks to deal with.

Here is mine on the inside lip of the magwell...

Take care,
Bob S.
Link Posted: 11/8/2016 10:39:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Wow.  That looks really nice.  That may just be the route I'll go.  Very nicely done, but nothing obtrusive.
Link Posted: 11/8/2016 10:40:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/8/2016 12:14:11 PM EDT
[#9]
"Mayberry, OH"

"Mayberry Ohio"

"Mayberry, Ohio"

I like the top format best.
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 11:25:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Embrace it and don't try to hide it, it's a Form 1 SBR! Its easy to overthink, so just run with it IMHO. Glad I did mine above my right trigger pins. I had the font size matched with existing font on each of my receivers. I cerakoted all my SBRs,  buy in retrospect I wouldn't have cared if my trust name popped out in bare aluminum. Mine was done by a very experienced engraver on a WWIII era pantograph. You won't notice it after you have it finished.
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 12:49:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is who I use. but then he's 24 miles from m me. But his work is above board, and excellent customer service.
Phil is good people and gives a NRA discount, plus he's an veteran. As is his wife.
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 1:14:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the help and pictures guys.  I will be going with Veritas Machining thanks to the positive feedback here.  Now I just gotta decide if Im gonna get the magwell or the underside of the trigger guard engraved.  Both look great! I've got plenty of time to decide though.
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 4:16:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Thanks for the help and pictures guys.  I will be going with Veritas Machining thanks to the positive feedback here.  Now I just gotta decide if Im gonna get the magwell or the underside of the trigger guard engraved.  Both look great! I've got plenty of time to decide though.
View Quote

You won't be disappointed.

In regards to having plenty of time, I think there is some validity to having the receiver engraved before submitting paperwork. Just in case anything happens in engraving or shipping.
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 6:17:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

In regards to having plenty of time, I think there is some validity to having the receiver engraved before submitting paperwork. Just in case anything happens in engraving or shipping.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1 on engraving before or during the paperwork being approved.
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 7:58:21 PM EDT
[#15]
So on my eForm 1 the PDF doesn't list my additional info.  I know I typed it in there during the application process.  Makes my engraving seem useless as its not listed on the form.
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 8:31:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 6:19:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

What's on the form doesn't matter in this case. The maker is required to engrave their name and the city, state where the firearm is made. (And the caliber if not already present).

4h is blank on all my Form 1s...but that didn't change any of the engraving requirements.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So on my eForm 1 the PDF doesn't list my additional info.  I know I typed it in there during the application process.  Makes my engraving seem useless as its not listed on the form.

What's on the form doesn't matter in this case. The maker is required to engrave their name and the city, state where the firearm is made. (And the caliber if not already present).

4h is blank on all my Form 1s...but that didn't change any of the engraving requirements.

Interesting.  One of my lowers is a Spikes Tactical that lists the caliber as "multi."  As I only use 5.56mm, should this then be engraved as well along with the other information?
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 8:14:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 7:11:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Ahh.  I see.  Well, sounds good then.  When the time comes I'll just make sure whatever barrel setup I go with has the caliber marked on it.  

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 10:10:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Ahh.  I see.  Well, sounds good then.  When the time comes I'll just make sure whatever barrel setup I go with has the caliber marked on it.  

Thanks!
View Quote

On my SBR upper, the barrel IS marked, but you can't read it without removing the handguard. To make life simple, I had Veritas engrave the other side of the mag well...

Take care,
Bob S.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 1:14:52 PM EDT
[#21]
That makes sense, and very well thought out.  

Did you guys remove your trigger groups from your lowers?  I can just envision tiny pieces of metal getting in there and wrecking my now very nice Giessele triggers!  Haha
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 1:43:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 1:43:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
That makes sense, and very well thought out.  

Did you guys remove your trigger groups from your lowers?  I can just envision tiny pieces of metal getting in there and wrecking my now very nice Giessele triggers!  Haha
View Quote

I've always sent completely stripped lowers, but I also have always sent in my lowers before I started any part of the build (and usually before I send in the Form 1). I'd give Phil @ Veritas a call or e-mail and see if it's necessary.

Take care,
Bob S.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 4:45:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Perfect.

Thank you guys!!
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 5:04:40 PM EDT
[#25]
I can wholeheartedly recommend Veritas Machining here in SW MI. <<<<< Copy That!!!!!!

I've gotten three done by them and they are all in the flare of the magwell. There website is awesome too, just fill out there form send it in with your lower and they will send you a proof. Approve it they get it done and send it back to you. Highly recommended.
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 7:38:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
There are several lowers that have integral trigger guards, and engraving on that should be fine.

http://people.virginia.edu/~rjs7m/NFA/Veritas-AR-2.JPG

Take care,
Bob S.
View Quote

Looks awesome.  I'm going to give them a call on Monday.

Link Posted: 11/19/2016 10:20:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://people.virginia.edu/~rjs7m/NFA/Veritas-AR-2.JPG

Take care,
Bob S.

I think you'll be happy - Phil & Stephanie are great people to work with.

Have a good weekend,
Bob S.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top