User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 7:12:04 AM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Get a JP silent captured spring too for extra quiet.
View Quote

Which one did you get, H2 or standard?  Barrel length?

Link Posted: 10/8/2016 2:47:11 PM EDT
[#2]
pic hosting

Second favorite rifle to shoot. 8" Seekins barrel, Maxim Defense CQB with JP SCS inside and a heavy ass SAS Reaper on the end. I actually love the way the heavy can makes it feel when shoosting. Shooting subs, there's nothing else quite like it, you'll thoroughly enjoy it.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 4:59:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Still look forward to shooting mine every time we go out, it's been almost 4 years now?

I enjoy shooting it, period, super or subs, with or without a suppressor (but mostly subs suppressed).
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 6:32:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I really want to do 300blk now, just don't know if the ol' wallet can handle it at this time
View Quote

Just build an upper.  Check out KAK Industry's barrels.  Their value line is really nice, all nitrided, and made from Green Mountain blanks.  My 16" barrel from them rocks.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 8:40:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Love mine.  8.2" in FDE on the bottom:

I will say that I haven't shot it much in the last year while my reloading stuff is in storage (between houses).  I only shoot it for enjoyment, so I can't comment on other uses.  It probably wouldn't be the one I grab if rioters (zombies) come to my neighborhood, but I wouldn't discount it either.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 8:55:31 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't have a suppressor and I still love my 8.5" 300 BLK pistol.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 11:25:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

You can find non-expanding subs for ~$0.55 from Gemtech and S&B
View Quote

Here is almost two years worth of purchase data from my 300BLK pursuits.  I am averaging $1.03 per round.  The 56cpr S&B I just bought was a shining unicorn.  I had never seen it that cheap and it went so fast that it should really be considered an aberration, not the norm.  Kindly point us all to the "~$0.55 from Gemtech"

Link Posted: 10/10/2016 1:08:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Here is almost two years worth of purchase data from my 300BLK pursuits.  I am averaging $1.03 per round.  The 56cpr S&B I just bought was a shining unicorn.  I had never seen it that cheap and it went so fast that it should really be considered an aberration, not the norm.  Kindly point us all to the "~$0.55 from Gemtech"

http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g447/s2168586/Screen%20Shot%202016-10-10%20at%2010.14.33%20AM_zpsgh5xztdt.png
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can find non-expanding subs for ~$0.55 from Gemtech and S&B

http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g447/s2168586/Screen%20Shot%202016-10-10%20at%2010.14.33%20AM_zpsgh5xztdt.png

I've bought blems for between $11 and $14 bucks a box, but as with your purchase, that's not a daily occurrence.
Most of Gemtech's site sales have it down around $14 a box.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 9:13:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Well unfortunately I'm having to choose between buying more reloading supplies for 223 or building a 300blk upper and I'm going with more reloading supplies. If there was ever a time I was tempted to pull out a credit it would be now but I learned that lesson a long time ago
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 8:15:02 AM EDT
[#10]
I don't regret buying my BCM 300 BLK upper. Having said that, I enjoy shooting my 300 BLK AAC Micro 7 more.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 8:22:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Novelty depends on what your intentions are to use it for.  8.2" using handloads Leigh Defense sub expanding bullets will harvest pigs/deer just fine.

Link Posted: 10/23/2016 10:16:24 PM EDT
[#12]
I originally bought my 9" AAC factory upper for the versatility of supers and subs out of the same gun along with AR lower and accessory compatibility.

But 5 or 6 years later I would prefer to have a pistol caliber carbine for subs and an AK SBR for intermediate .30 cal enjoyment.

Just personal preference and ammo cost (I have a single stage press but not enough time on my hands to make an appreciable amount of ammo which stinks because the half dozen brands of subsonic factory rounds I've tried had pretty poor accuracy and consistency in OAL and velocity).

Link Posted: 10/24/2016 1:55:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Sorry for possible thread derailment, but what kind of competition is that where you leave a hot rifle on a barrel and then move forward?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Do it.  Pick up some Barnes 110gr supers for killing things mo better.
The 200gr REAPR expanding subs seem to do a good job if you want to stay subsonic but they still fly (drop) like a sub.

Other than that, if you're not reloading, pick up a case of Gemtech or S&B subs when they're on sale for plinking.

http://youtu.be/tHVTnehkZLc

Sorry for possible thread derailment, but what kind of competition is that where you leave a hot rifle on a barrel and then move forward?

One where grown ups are not concerned with a gun going off by itself?

I understand safety but some people go way to far with it.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 3:15:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Ammo costs are a bit rough.   Nobody really makes inexpensive jacketed projectiles specifically designed for .300, either.

I do load, but only supersonic.   I got a screaming deal on some good ballistic tip projectiles, so my cost for supersonics is on par with loading heavy OTM's (bought cheap in bulk) in 5.56.   That's not really something I'm going to blast at the range for fun.

I got mine for truck guns, not for fun at the range.  Suppressed 9mm works better for that.    

If you have an SBR, I think a 5.56 upper is inevitable as well.   A ~12.5" 5.56 with OTMs or other expensive projectiles will also give you respectable performance.    You lose the ability to run subsonics and are 4" longer, but then you gain the ability to practice with cheap ammo.

Link Posted: 10/24/2016 7:06:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Ammo costs are a bit rough.   Nobody really makes inexpensive jacketed projectiles specifically designed for .300, either.

I do load, but only supersonic.   I got a screaming deal on some good ballistic tip projectiles, so my cost for supersonics is on par with loading heavy OTM's (bought cheap in bulk) in 5.56.   That's not really something I'm going to blast at the range for fun.

I got mine for truck guns, not for fun at the range.  Suppressed 9mm works better for that.    

If you have an SBR, I think a 5.56 upper is inevitable as well.   A ~12.5" 5.56 with OTMs or other expensive projectiles will also give you respectable performance.    You lose the ability to run subsonics and are 4" longer, but then you gain the ability to practice with cheap ammo.

View Quote

A 10.5" or so 5.56/223 SBR with a suppressor is a whole lot of fun to shoot any d can be pretty cheap too. Pick you bullets well and it would be fantastic for HD too.
Look at Missouri Bullet company for cheap subsonic weight coated lead bullets for plinking with the 300BLK. (I haven't tried them but will shortly.) I got away from the 300BLK because of ammo and bullet cost, but I miss the giggles shooting suppressed subsonic  it and I'm gearing up again.

JPK
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 11:42:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Definitely not a novelty, love mine.

Link Posted: 10/26/2016 1:28:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Not sure how you define, not a novelty, but mine makes me smile every time I shoot it.
It also had most other people at the range giggling when they shot it.

I'd compare subs to an improved .45acp, and supers as a slightly underpowered 7.62x39 (or much improved .30 carbine).  
If you would consider a .45PCC, an AK, or an M1 Carbine useful, then .300blk should be good for you.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 9:13:11 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm stocking up on reloading components for 5.56 instead of building a 300blk upper right now. If everything doesn't go to shit my next upper WILL be a 300blk.
Link Posted: 11/9/2016 6:33:51 PM EDT
[#19]
I'll be putting together a 300blk upper before too long now that Trunp won.
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 4:13:36 AM EDT
[#20]
I finally built my 300blk upper and shot it for the first time and all I can say is wow! I've only shot some Remington 120gr so far but even with an 8" barrel it's a joy shoot both unsuppressed and suppressed. Tomorrow I'm going to cast some 198gr bullets so I can load up some subs.
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 4:31:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I finally built my 300blk upper and shot it for the first time and all I can say is wow! I've only shot some Remington 120gr so far but even with an 8" barrel it's a joy shoot both unsuppressed and suppressed. Tomorrow I'm going to cast some 198gr bullets so I can load up some subs.
View Quote

120gr or 220gr ?
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 5:35:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

120gr or 220gr ?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

120gr or 220gr ?

I'm not sure what your asking?
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 6:29:28 PM EDT
[#23]
He's asking which Remington you shot.  You said the 120 grain (the OTFB stuff, I believe).  Yes, that is some FUN ammo in a FUN platform.

I've only shot a little subsonic stuff so far, but despite what a lot of people say about Remington's 220 grain subsonic load (the green/yellow box stuff), I had no problems with it, and it was pretty accurate for me (or perhaps more correctly, I was pretty accurate for it).

The UMC 120 grain OTFB is (or was when I stocked up) made by Barnes, with a wonderful (and sadly, not available as a component) bullet.  I chrono'd it (and the results are around here somewhere) out of my 8" upper at an average of about 1975 fps.  It made nice, small clusters of holes for me, despite having a crappy rest on a crappy bench.

Lighter bullets, like Sierra's 110 grain Varminter, and heavier bullets like the bulk 147 grain M80 FMJs available in bulk, are similarly accurate and easy to shoot.
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 7:42:44 PM EDT
[#24]
I've shot my 300blk SBR a couple times, and built a second 300blk as a pistol. Still waiting on my Dead Air though so haven't shot suppressed.  Do most of my plinking on a small indoor range, so I'll probably just use whatever cheap ammo is around unless I make a trip further out and use Subs then. It is a fun 30 cal for me, since I don't feel like tinkering with an AR in 7.62X39.

I do also have a 9mm SBR and I'll be getting a 45acp AR setup soon enough. I've had sbr 223's before though and never cared for it. Just remember you're not limited to just one gun. :)

Link Posted: 12/24/2016 7:46:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 8:04:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
He's asking which Remington you shot.  You said the 120 grain (the OTFB stuff, I believe).  Yes, that is some FUN ammo in a FUN platform.

I've only shot a little subsonic stuff so far, but despite what a lot of people say about Remington's 220 grain subsonic load (the green/yellow box stuff), I had no problems with it, and it was pretty accurate for me (or perhaps more correctly, I was pretty accurate for it).

The UMC 120 grain OTFB is (or was when I stocked up) made by Barnes, with a wonderful (and sadly, not available as a component) bullet.  I chrono'd it (and the results are around here somewhere) out of my 8" upper at an average of about 1975 fps.  It made nice, small clusters of holes for me, despite having a crappy rest on a crappy bench.

Lighter bullets, like Sierra's 110 grain Varminter, and heavier bullets like the bulk 147 grain M80 FMJs available in bulk, are similarly accurate and easy to shoot.
View Quote

I posted that it was120 grain which is why I was thrown off by his question.

The 120 grain OTFB chrono'd pretty much the same out of my 8" barrel. Tomorrow afternoon I'll be able to shoot my sub sonic load and can't hardly wait!
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 12:28:49 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm not in front of my notes but I think my 220gr reloads come out to $0.19 (sounds better if you say $19/100rds :) lol
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 1:28:42 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I'm not in front of my notes but I think my 220gr reloads come out to $0.19 (sounds better if you say $19/100rds :) lol
View Quote

Are you casting the bullets?

I'm loving shooting subsonic!

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/27/2016 10:52:26 AM EDT
[#29]

Man that is a prettyyy batch lol. I haven't got around to it I have just been buying coated cast the last few years. I have about 400lbs of cast ingots that I weigh my safe down with what I have bought overtime but I just haven't got to it, but when I do decide I have my supplies. To be honest I was totally prepared to start casting in 2017 considering it seemed like Hilary was going to win and people would freak out, but look at us now its a party

For someone looking to reload though, 300blk will make you do it. If I never started shooting 300blk suppressed I would have never started reloading, and without reloading 147gr 9mm I probably would have never been competitive in USPSA hah. Other than some rare rifle rounds though, in the "mainstream ammo line" 300blk is where the savings are, even buying coated cast, shit even buying the more expensive FMJ projectiles like the 208gr Amax you are still saving over 50% reloading it
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 10:53:33 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

double
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 11:42:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 12:30:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Man that is a prettyyy batch lol. I haven't got around to it I have just been buying coated cast the last few years. I have about 400lbs of cast ingots that I weigh my safe down with what I have bought overtime but I just haven't got to it, but when I do decide I have my supplies. To be honest I was totally prepared to start casting in 2017 considering it seemed like Hilary was going to win and people would freak out, but look at us now its a party

For someone looking to reload though, 300blk will make you do it. If I never started shooting 300blk suppressed I would have never started reloading, and without reloading 147gr 9mm I probably would have never been competitive in USPSA hah. Other than some rare rifle rounds though, in the "mainstream ammo line" 300blk is where the savings are, even buying coated cast, shit even buying the more expensive FMJ projectiles like the 208gr Amax you are still saving over 50% reloading it
View Quote

I started loading on a Lee single stage for my Remington 700 308 about 6 years ago. One I started loading for 9mm I bought a Hornady LNL and haven't looked back. I started casting once I bought a Ruger SR1911 which allowed me to shoot as much as I wanted. Now with 300blk I added in powder coating which is a LOT easier than I thought it would be.

I enjoy reloading about as much as I do shooting so the fact that I'm saving money is icing on the cake. My fiancé even enjoys helping me by sorting brass and sizing the cast bullets.
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 1:11:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 6:01:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I take it your F1 can is serviceable, correct?

Everyone that I know that has tried powder coated bullets in their 300 suppressed has stopped using them because they leaded up their cans.

Now many were using sealed cans, not like me-I'm using a Liberty Mystic that I can clean.
View Quote

Only about 500rds through mine but no leading as of now
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 6:17:30 PM EDT
[#35]
@Dog1

My can is serviceable. So far I haven't seen any leading but time will tell.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top