Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2016 10:42:19 PM EDT
I'm just curious to see what you guys have on your sbr as far as optics, and maybe along the way give me some ideas on some optics that won't cost me $800, but still be a reliable choice.
Please post pics of your rifle with the optic just for the look.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 10:45:35 PM EDT
[#1]
H1 and Razor HD2.

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 11:02:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Aimpoint Pro\
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 12:36:34 AM EDT
[#3]
TA33G-H + LT105 combo is my favorite, followed by a T1 + LT660 combo.

Link Posted: 8/30/2016 12:41:35 AM EDT
[#4]
T1 or eotech 512 depends on preference. I went with a t1
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 12:52:32 AM EDT
[#5]
T1

Link Posted: 8/30/2016 12:59:05 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't have a picture, but Aimpoint CompM2 is what I run because I got it many moons ago on the cheap.

Aimpoint PRO is an excellent value, and the 2 MOA dot is CRISP.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 2:49:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Holosun 503c (EOTech reticle)

Link Posted: 8/30/2016 5:39:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Check out the Primary Arms Advanced Micro dots. Pretty damn nice for the price range.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 6:35:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Aimpoint ACO-got it for a nice deal on the EE. If you watch the EE, you can pick up either ACO's or PRO's for very reasonable prices new or slightly used.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 7:08:57 AM EDT
[#10]
I picked up an Aimpoint PRO from the EE and it was in really good shape. Havent gotten to shoot it yet, but I'm getting used to the 2 MOA dot. My Wife has a C-More on her 8.5"

Your optic choice really depends on what you want to accomplish with the rifle and what you want it geared for as far as magnification goes. I wouldnt hesitate to run an Eotech either as I have in the past, but I think my astigmatism messes with me too much as that 1 MOA center dot looks much larger than the 2 moa PRO dot to my eye. I do have to make sure my contact is seated correctly on my eye. Usually a quick blink and I'm good to go, but it can become a headache after a while.

I also wouldnt hesitate to run an Acog as mentioned above or a LPVO on an SBR as well. For your price point of <800, you can get into Aimpoints, Eotechs, Vortex Viper PST 1-4x, Vortex Strike Eagles, etc. as well as the Primary Arms offerings and others that have had good luck. But if you watch the EE, you can really expand that and take your dollar a little further.

Link Posted: 8/30/2016 8:25:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 9:00:09 AM EDT
[#12]

Comp M3 and M4 here, a 10.3 being cut down right now will have my PRO on it. I'd like to try a Micro at some point, but hesitant to make that purchase when I've just been used to the bigger glass.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 10:10:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Primary arms advanced micro on my 9mm SBR, on my 5.56 I'll go a little nicer but havnt picked one yet. This thread interests me very much.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 10:18:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Comp M3 and M4 here, a 10.3 being cut down right now will have my PRO on it. I'd like to try a Micro at some point, but hesitant to make that purchase when I've just been used to the bigger glass.
View Quote

I tried a T1 for a few months but the tube was too small for me.  I went back to my M2.  YMMV
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 10:41:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I tried a T1 for a few months but the tube was too small for me.  I went back to my M2.  YMMV
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's been my only concern with the Micros
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 10:49:48 AM EDT
[#16]

I want a TA33 so bad for my SBR.  I just dont know how I will like what the FSB looks like in the 33's FOV.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 11:02:13 AM EDT
[#17]
T1 with lt660 mount.

Link Posted: 8/30/2016 2:41:08 PM EDT
[#18]
I believe I'm the first to say it here but Trijicon MRO...duty tough, better FOV and a lot less expensive than an Aimpoint. I have one on a BLK PDW and love it...So much so that I'm getting two more MRO's for matching 11.5's I'm currently waiting on stamps for.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 3:11:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

What's on the bottom of your mag?
View All Quotes

Strike industries +5 nameplate
I got a few for free. I like em on the pmag20s. Ran about 2k rounds through em no issues
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 4:20:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Currently running an EOTech EXPS3-0

Link Posted: 8/30/2016 4:40:00 PM EDT
[#21]
i bought a t-1 for my 10.3. but im kinda wishing id gone bigger.  Pro maybe.

Link Posted: 8/30/2016 6:13:19 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a T-1 on my MK18, but ill probably trade it with the M3 on my MPX. Optic size being proportionate to the guns they are on.

My other SBRs have Aimpoint M2 or M3s.

I use Larue or ADM quick release mounts so I can run the BUIS every range trip.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 7:30:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was surprised how much lighter the H1 made my SBR feel versus a PRO.  It's not much difference on paper but I swear it's noticeable.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 7:33:57 PM EDT
[#24]
H1 on 10.5" DSG upper'ed frankengun.

Link Posted: 8/30/2016 7:46:35 PM EDT
[#25]

Tacticool socks!

I run T1s and H1s on mine.  My last rifle, was going to be a truck gun and I didn't want to drop some coin on it.  I got a Vortex Spar AR and it's been perfect.  Can't
beat the replacement warranty.  Has held zero fine and works on AAA batteries.  Run time is not as great, but has auto off after 12 hours, plus comes with mount for either cowitness or 1/3 cowitness.  It also remembers the last setting it was on, unlike the Eotechs. Two bills with tax.  

I ran a TA33GH on a SBR.  Times were slower due to magnification for up close shots.  Eye relief was great, but realistically, I'm not going to be shooting out to 600 meters with a SBR.  Red dots were fine up to 200-300 meters.  The 3X power was great for target identification.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 9:04:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Tacticool socks!

I run T1s and H1s on mine.  My last rifle, was going to be a truck gun and I didn't want to drop some coin on it.  I got a Vortex Spar AR and it's been perfect.  Can't
beat the replacement warranty.  Has held zero fine and works on AAA batteries.  Run time is not as great, but has auto off after 12 hours, plus comes with mount for either cowitness or 1/3 cowitness.  It also remembers the last setting it was on, unlike the Eotechs. Two bills with tax.  

I ran a TA33GH on a SBR.  Times were slower due to magnification for up close shots.  Eye relief was great, but realistically, I'm not going to be shooting out to 600 meters with a SBR.  Red dots were fine up to 200-300 meters.  The 3X power was great for target identification.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Tacticool socks!

Pretty much why I prefer the TA33 to the T1. With the T1, I know I hit the target. With the TA33, I know where I hit the target.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 9:57:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Pretty much why I prefer the TA33 to the T1. With the T1, I know I hit the target. With the TA33, I know where I hit the target.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tacticool socks!

I use one for three gun still, but on a 16" setup.  Great versatility  for up close to medium  distances.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 10:00:10 PM EDT
[#28]
My optic seems large but it's fun shooting at 300yds,   I may put the acog on it though... Haven't decided

Currently vortex strike eagle

Link Posted: 8/30/2016 10:10:55 PM EDT
[#29]
I have Vortex PST 1-4x scopes in Nightforce one-piece mounts on the 9" Blackout and the 11.5" 5.56.  A little heavier than I'd like, but I do enjoy the magnification on occasion.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 10:46:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 10:52:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't understand people that talk about micro dot "tube too small"

You're supposed to shoot with both eyes open.  When you do that, the "tube" ghosts away.  It's a non-factor.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 10:57:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

You're supposed to shoot with both eyes open.  When you do that, the "tube" ghosts away.  It's a non-factor.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think it may be more that the part of the target that is occluded by the 20mm tube is a more critical part of the target than is occluded by the 30mm tube?

Both are very nice sights. I think the M3, etc. are nicer to look through than the T1 but the T1 wins on weight, size, and balance.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 11:03:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I think it may be more that the part of the target that is occluded by the 20mm tube is a more critical part of the target than is occluded by the 30mm tube?

Both are very nice sights. I think the M3, etc. are nicer to look through than the T1 but the T1 wins on weight, size, and balance.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nothing is occluded with both eyes open. Unless you are blind in one eye.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 11:46:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Nothing is occluded with both eyes open. Unless you are blind in one eye.
View Quote

I guess if you're a lizard person with eyes on the sides of your head then that's true. But for the rest of us with a normal distance between our eyes, it's very easy for something in front of our face to occlude a small amount of our vision.

Try it. Hold two fingers pressed together in front of your face vertically. You'll probably see okay. Now turn them horizontally and see what happens. You can't see through them. Obviously there's a point in between where the horizontal offset between your eyes doesn't help seeing "through" a solid object in front of you.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 11:54:35 PM EDT
[#35]

I own a few red dots from both aimpoint and trijicon (even a couple PA dots on my 22lr's). So my unbiased opinion

I like the field of view better on the MRO, and I do shoot both eyes open, but sometimes you find yourself getting "tunnel" vision with your dominant eye which does affect the view.

I have an h1, h2, and a pair of t2's along with a pair of pro's, comp c3, comp m4 and an ACO. So I'm also an aimpoint fanboy. but will give credit when credit is due, and that's I really like Trijicon's offering.

Pro's for the trijicon:
field of view
Battery life (better than the aco, and pro, and I want to say better than the h1 but it might be the same, think they advertise 5 years on).
no special tools required for adjustment
Battery door and adjustment knob accessible by either hand.
No caps to lose

Pro's for Aimpoint:
Proven track record
positive feel on the adjustment knobs
Lens covers included (pro's and h2/t2)

Really you cannot go wrong with either one, aimpoints are known to be rock solid optics, Trijicon is a quality manufacturer, but their MRO is still fairly new to market. But you can save 1/2 the price of the t2 and get a MRO.

Link Posted: 8/31/2016 12:16:43 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I shoot with both eyes open.  I have a harder time finding the dot on the T1 quickly than I do the M2.  Personal preference, that's all.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 12:25:28 AM EDT
[#37]
" />

I run the ta31 ecos and have found that if I tilt the rifle like if you where using 45° sights the rmr falls in line with your left eyes line of sight it's a really easy transition
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 1:47:19 AM EDT
[#38]
T1 or TA31F is what I prefer.

Link Posted: 8/31/2016 4:29:05 PM EDT
[#39]
T1/LaRue 660 for me.

Link Posted: 9/3/2016 10:18:37 AM EDT
[#40]
T-1 here

Link Posted: 9/7/2016 5:32:44 PM EDT
[#41]
If you shop around you can score a 512 and G23 within a decent budget. I like the FOV the Eotech offers. The 3x helps with PID and has a QD if you want to drop the weight.

Link Posted: 9/9/2016 3:11:41 PM EDT
[#42]
I generally prefer CMORE ATACs for non-magnified red-dot optics on the AR/M16 platform.   For micros I use a mix of Burris fastfires and CMORE STSs.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top