Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/25/2016 7:58:56 AM EDT
This is my first build and I'm wondering what would be a good caliber to go for.
Leaning to 5.56 but also thinking of 308 for hunting.

Also open to other calibers.
Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 8:10:10 AM EDT
[#1]
5.56 for me.  No need to add yet another caliber to the stable   (going .308 in an AR would require new mags for me as well)
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 8:42:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
5.56 for me.  No need to add yet another caliber to the stable   (going .308 in an AR would require new mags for me as well)
View Quote

I'm thinking of doing 5.56 for my first and then going 308 for my second one. I like 5.56 for carrying more rounds.

Just dunno what would be a good short barrel though to.

edit - what does the hive think of a 11.5 or 12.5 inch barrel for 5.56? Really on the fence over these two lengths.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 10:26:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Both suffer balisticly from short barrels compared to what published ballistics on those caliber's are. 223 falls way off in the energy delivered to target area and has much less mass for follow through. So.. If hunting is your goal (deer, hogs) you can deliver more potential energy to the target by throwing a heavier projectile. Most likely..?
Don't get me wrong. Both caliber's out of 12" barrels will kill Deer and Hogs. Just have to pick and choose your distances and shot placement with a bit more caution.
IMO...if .223/5.56 I would go 1/7 barrel and 62gr-75gr projectiles. 308 I would back off on the weight to 120-130 in an effort to pump up the velocity a little. You may well find expansion issues when you get the point of impact velocities below 2000 f/s so running ballistics calculator for various loads is helpful.
Personally I think 308 has more options available but then again if hunting with a short barrel...6.8spc, 6.5 Grendal or even 300blk may deliver just as much energy at POI in a smaller platform than a 308 rig.
Start crunching numbers and it will become clear which fits yor needs and desires best.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 12:30:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I'm thinking of doing 5.56 for my first and then going 308 for my second one. I like 5.56 for carrying more rounds.

edit - what does the hive think of a 11.5 or 12.5 inch barrel for 5.56? Really on the fence over these two lengths.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How about go in between and get the 12" LaRue that's on sale for $225 right now.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 9:31:32 PM EDT
[#5]
My favorite length's of 5.56 barrels are 10.5 & 12.5, but my next build is slated for an 11.5.

Concerning the ammo selection, best bang for the buck is currently Gold Dots at PSA if you're looking for SD/hunting ammo. I went with 77gr TMK and Fusion MSR (close to a Gold Dot) for SD ammo. Effective expansion on both rounds past 250 yds in the 10.5 and better than that out of the 12.5.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 10:58:23 PM EDT
[#6]
I would buy a barrel but money is kinda tight right now, taking most of my funds for the lower assembly and the 200 tax stamp. Planning to get a barrel and finish this by this fall though.

I really dunno if i wanna go 11.5 or 12.5 i know someone said 12 inch and its on the table. Ill do 5.56 for my first build though and do 308 for my second. I do plan on hunting with it so I may just do 12.5, later will be putting a can. I also planning on putting on an adjustable gas block as I have read on other threads. Right now I'm focused on the stamp.

If I don't like the barrel do I have to redo the stamp which means redo the lower? or can I just change the barrel and not worry about the stamp and paper work?
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 11:16:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I would buy a barrel but money is kinda tight right now, taking most of my funds for the lower assembly and the 200 tax stamp. Planning to get a barrel and finish this by this fall though.

I really dunno if i wanna go 11.5 or 12.5 i know someone said 12 inch and its on the table. Ill do 5.56 for my first build though and do 308 for my second. I do plan on hunting with it so I may just do 12.5, later will be putting a can. I also planning on putting on an adjustable gas block as I have read on other threads. Right now I'm focused on the stamp.

If I don't like the barrel do I have to redo the stamp which means redo the lower? or can I just change the barrel and not worry about the stamp and paper work?
View Quote

Barrel length is mostly irrelevant once the lower is approved. Change it to whatever you want. You can send the ATF a letter and they 'request' that you do for permanent changes but it's NOT a law...Not that any change on an AR is even permanent.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 7:12:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Barrel length is mostly irrelevant once the lower is approved. Change it to whatever you want. You can send the ATF a letter and they 'request' that you do for permanent changes but it's NOT a law...Not that any change on an AR is even permanent.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks, I may get a several different length barrels and try.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top