Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/2/2016 11:36:35 AM EDT
Have trust docs signed and notarized - that's all as far as that is concerned, right? If I want to try efile, I would need to scan and upload to BATFE during that process I'm assuming. My state doesn't require the trust to be registered. I just feel like it's too easy and I'm missing a step somewhere...

With the trust, currently, I do not need prints or pictures?

Sorry, I have had trouble finding this information, nothing solid enough to make me comfortable.

I thought I had more but I'll post if they come to me.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 11:49:15 AM EDT
[#1]
It's debatable if this is necessary, but most people fund their trust before submitting it for the first time.  My trust has a schedule A and $10.00 is listed as trust property.  If you have a schedule A or property assignment sheet, I would have something in there.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 12:42:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes my trust has $1 listed. On that I'm not clear if it just needs to say that or does $1 need to be held somewhere... kinda funny to me. I know a bank account is optional, but that adds to the silliness.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 2:30:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Where does this need to fund the trust come from? I submitted my trust exactly how it was after notarizing and I've gotten a bunch of Form 1's back since. Nothing in my trust but guns and a homemade can.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 3:36:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I used Silencer Co's easy trust service and it has a page stating $1 is held by the trust. Others I have heard $10 as well, I'm not sure why or when that became a thing but the document says it so it shall be.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 6:55:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Where does this need to fund the trust come from? I submitted my trust exactly how it was after notarizing and I've gotten a bunch of Form 1's back since. Nothing in my trust but guns and a homemade can.
View Quote

It's state specific. In some states a trust isn't official unless it actually owns something. Until it owns property, its not legally a trust. So people fund it so the trust owns a dollar. Many states don't need it, my state of Michigan it wasn't required and I never did.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 10:33:44 AM EDT
[#6]
I think you've pretty much got what you need.  If you're building your own SBR on a Form 1, thoroughly test the existing pistol/rifle to make sure it is 100% functional and reliable.  Then follow the Form 1 guide thread (note that there are relevant updates later in the thread that aren't in the OP).  Then wait for your stamp, don't build it until you have the approved form (via email) in hand and other applicable requirements (e.g. engraving) taken care of.  

That said, I just wanted to comment...
Quoted:
I just feel like it's too easy and I'm missing a step somewhere...
View Quote
What a sad state of affairs for gun owners that we've been treated so poorly, attacked, and generally fucked over that we have to feel like anything - even a huge, expensive, pain in the ass process such as the whole NFA circus is - is "too easy" with respect to exercising our rights.  It reminds me of an abused woman who worries whether or not she got the dishes clean enough to avoid another beating.  

That sort of thing ticks me off and I hate the entire shit show of having to constantly worry whether or not some new law, rule, or enforcement opinion will come down the pipe and make it harder to do what we enjoy.  What precious few, if any, other groups of citizens have to deal with the government band saw always being so close to their balls like this to enjoy the legal activities of their choice?  Much less an activity that is explicitly protected by the constitution.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 10:12:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes Michigan doesn't require any property in the trust and that was from my attorney who set up my trust. Plus I received a stamp as proof
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 9:01:10 AM EDT
[#8]
I think it's just that people who go with one of the fill-in-the-blank trusts have the $1 or $10 on their Schedule A because those are intended to be "50 state legal;" so if your state doesn't require it, no harm done, if it does you're covered. If you go to a lawyer you probably don't have it if the state doesn't require it because it's drafted specifically with that state's laws/requirements in mind.

Submitted via eFile yesterday - the wait begins. Received an e-mail this morning saying the current processing time is 5 months... weee
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 2:15:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Get ready for a stack of stamps!    

Try to put it out of your mind and forget about it instead of sitting around waiting, constantly checking status, worrying about it, obsessing over it, etc.  It'll happen when it happens.  Fill your time by filing more forms.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 3:42:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Yeah, I'm not worrying about it. I went in knowing it is a long process and you can't do anything to speed it up so no point counting the days. Out of sight, out of mind as they say, it'll just be a nice surprise when I get the email.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 11:52:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's debatable if this is necessary, but most people fund their trust before submitting it for the first time.  My trust has a schedule A and $10.00 is listed as trust property.  If you have a schedule A or property assignment sheet, I would have something in there.
View Quote

I did not fund mine with a $1 and have an SBR(form 1) and a Suppressor(form 4) that have been approved.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top