Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2016 4:16:41 PM EDT
Hi Everyone,

I am trying to debate my next SBR which I want to get submitted before July 41P implementation. I am debating between three different possibilities and hoping with some help, I can narrow it down so I can get the project underway. Right now I have 3 SBRs. I have a PS-90 which is currently pending, I have a CZ Scorpion and a 300 BLK AR. Pictures of my current two in hand provided for eye candy and to aid in consideration. So the three I am thinking about are as follows:

1- An AR 9mm lower: Joe Bob Outfitters has a Glock mag compatible billet 9mm lower I am thinking that I would like to SBR. Since a suppressed 9mm is very enjoyable to shoot, I am thinking this would be a good host and I have never owned a 9mm AR. This would allow me to just buy lower and submit form 1 before July without significant upfront investment which is crucial as I have a vacation coming up and can't invest too much right off the bat.

2- A AR lower: I would choose a nice AR lower to SBR and use it for multiple uppers. Likely 5.56 to start. I do already have a AR lower SBRed but its really a dedicated set up as seen below and the burnt bronze finish I went with prevents me from doing a lot of swapping around. This AR lower would be left black and would be used with multiple uppers.

3- Some sort of AK SBR: I would likely choose an affordable AK pistol and SBR that. I always liked the looks of a short AK and would need some guideance in this choose as far as what model to go with to SBR. It would have to be semi affordable (IE less than $850 for the pistol) in order to fit into my budget with the time constraints I face.

So what do you think? Of these three, which should I consider my next project? I have suppressors that could be used on any of the three choices.

Thanks
Jason

Here is my AR

My Scorpion
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 4:48:57 PM EDT
[#1]
For the price range you mention why not get 2 ar lowers, one in 9mm and one normal and sbr both. You can do that for under the range you mentioned for the AK pistol and then worry about getting the extra funds to build them later.

For me and 9mm I bought a sig mpx and had the barrel shortened to 5 inches and a 3 lug installed over it. That way my suppressor will sit partly under the hand guard. It is currently waiting on its form 1.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 5:10:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I vote an AK of those you listed.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 5:36:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd pick #2, based on your situation.

An AR lower is very versatile (as long as you leave the color alone ), and you can still build a 9mm AR with it.

Couple that with the low initial investment cost that you're looking for - I'd say its a no brainer.

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 5:42:23 PM EDT
[#4]
M92 PAP and a stripped mil spec lower. $1,000
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 11:53:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This is solid advice. SBR a stripped lower for 5.56 use and get an AK pistol like the M92 or Draco. Or you could spend some coin and get a SLR 104UR or SLR107UR and have a really cool factory built Krink.

You don't have to build the AR lower right away. Buy the an AK and a lower and finish them later as funds allow.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 1:03:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. The 92 is fantastic to SBR and just $500. Do a nice lower at the same time and call it good, build it when more $ become available.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 6:08:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nailed it!!
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 8:02:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Ok, I am pretty much leaning towards a M92 pap and a YHM billet lower. The question is the stock solution for the M pap. I wish it had a single tang turnnion so I could use a Magpul stock.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 8:15:31 PM EDT
[#9]

$900 from cabelas in jan, not sure if they're still on clearance.....

Link Posted: 5/20/2016 9:56:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Ok, Tonight I bought a M92 Pap and a YHM billet lower. Hopefully they will both show late next week and this time next Friday I will have both form 1s submitted.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 10:22:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Ok, Tonight I bought a M92 Pap and a YHM billet lower. Hopefully they will both show late next week and this time next Friday I will have both form 1s submitted.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/21/2016 12:15:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Cnc warrior adapter (gets rid of 5 degree angle) and an ACE or manticore stock.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 2:25:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Cnc warrior adapter (gets rid of 5 degree angle) and an ACE or manticore stock.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

I believe stormwerkz has a angle asjustment plate too
click
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 4:01:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Is the 5 degree angle even worth correcting?
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 4:40:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have never had the issue with the angle on my M92 sbr. I have the manticore triangle folder setup
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 7:17:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 9:50:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't think it is.  I bought one of manticore's wedges, and I didn't like the way it looked so I didn't use it.

OP...  good choice on the PAP M92 and the AR lower.  If you could swing it, just buy a Circle10 AR9 lower and SBR it.  You can finish out the AR15 and the AR9 down the road, but at least you would have them in before 41F.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 3:32:55 PM EDT
[#18]
I picked up my M92 Pap which is my next SBR project last night

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 12:32:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Why not going ahead and buy already completed short barrel rifle by a manufactured who already made the SBR? Daniel Defense makes a fine short barrel rifle.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 5:12:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Why not going ahead and buy already completed short barrel rifle by a manufactured who already made the SBR? Daniel Defense makes a fine short barrel rifle.
View Quote

I honestly see no benefit in doing this unless you have a lot of money and not a lot of time or interest. I don't built any prebuilt ARs and a SBR is no exception. Lower has shipped and I will file form 1 the day I get it. Form 1 on M92 PAP was filed yesterday.
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 7:30:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Got the form 1 submitted on the YHM lower. Now to start picking parts and then wait

Link Posted: 6/2/2016 2:31:30 PM EDT
[#22]
WOW!  that things a beaut..

may I ask where and how much?  

I may need to get in on this before July 13'th...

please advise!

oNe
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 3:10:40 PM EDT
[#23]
The YHM lower or the M92 Pap? I got the YHM lower at Buds Gun Shop and the M92 Pap at Preppers Gun Shop.
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 10:37:14 AM EDT
[#24]
sorry I clicked on REPLY under the m92pap so assumed it would reply to that post..

but yes, the m92 PAP..

link for yours?   went to the site for preppers but they have like 3 different models..

I am going to buy the same exact one you just did!!
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 10:42:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Got the form 1 submitted on the YHM lower. Now to start picking parts and then wait

http://www.jerzeedevil.com/photos/data/500/medium/YHM_lower.jpg
View Quote

cripes we are in the same boat..

I am rushin to buy my lowers TODAY if possible...   just to form 1 them, then no rush as this would be my 1st SBR and to be honest not quite sure how to build or where to go to get info on building it up..

then also buying shotgun for an sbs, not sure if mossy or remmy tho..  can't decide..

and FINALLY thanks to you and this d@m post.. a m92 Pap thing a ma jigger..   JUST CAUSE!!

well to be honest all these in the big rush to beat out 41f requirements..

FOR SHAME!

oNe
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 11:34:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I am rushin to buy my lowers TODAY if possible...   just to form 1 them, then no rush as this would be my 1st SBR and to be honest not quite sure how to build or where to go to get info on building it up..

then also buying shotgun for an sbs, not sure if mossy or remmy tho..  can't decide..

and FINALLY thanks to you and this d@m post.. a m92 Pap thing a ma jigger..   JUST CAUSE!!

FOR SHAME!

oNe
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FOR SHAME!

oNe

I snagged a wingmaster for $170 on armslist a few months back just to beat 41f
M85 and Wasr helped me check the AK SBR block
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 2:58:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Here you go
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 3:16:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Here you go
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here you go

Check gunbroker. Not sure if there's a big price difference between M92/M85 but I paid like $470 for a M85
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 4:56:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Check gunbroker. Not sure if there's a big price difference between M92/M85 but I paid like $470 for a M85
View Quote

They can be had cheaper if you don't want the Krink muzzle device, the Manticore handguard (top and bottom), the Magpul mags or the Magpul grip. You could also probably save a couple dollars if you want to get all the parts yourself and install. Of course you will likely have to cut the weld off to remove the factory thread protector from the barrel which isn't all that hard. I priced it out and paying the few extra bucks was worth it for me to get it the way I wanted it out of the box.
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 8:16:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

They can be had cheaper if you don't want the Krink muzzle device, the Manticore handguard (top and bottom), the Magpul mags or the Magpul grip. You could also probably save a couple dollars if you want to get all the parts yourself and install. Of course you will likely have to cut the weld off to remove the factory thread protector from the barrel which isn't all that hard. I priced it out and paying the few extra bucks was worth it for me to get it the way I wanted it out of the box.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/4/2016 2:17:02 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FOR SHAME!

oNe

Why a wingmaster? Isn't that an old Shotty?
I ask cuz I found a new 870 express tactical for $350.. But can I SBS that??

How does this armslist work? The Google doesn't really tell me much? It seems like a Craigslist for private gun sales??

Lastly, OP, thanks for the link, working with my LGS to do the transfer before pulling the trigger on this..

Link Posted: 6/4/2016 8:37:37 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

How does this armslist work? The Google doesn't really tell me much? It seems like a Craigslist for private gun sales??

Lastly, OP, thanks for the link, working with my LGS to do the transfer before pulling the trigger on this..

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FOR SHAME!

oNe

Wingmasters have a rep for better fit and finish. I would have been fine with an express but it's just what I found available. Armslist is just like craigslist for firearms and accessories.
Link Posted: 6/4/2016 4:47:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Thank you again OP, as long as my LGS does their part should have my pap!!!

Dont wanna jack this thread so where may I go to post about SBS's on this forum??

Went to armslist and found  new express 870 tact for $335..

The Wingmasters I found are stupid old and expensive.. 1970's and $350+...

So need advise and suggestions on all that stuff regarding my SBS build..

Thank you in advance!!

Sean P
Link Posted: 6/4/2016 5:27:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Under armory, there is a shotgun forum, but I don't know how active it is. I would personally buy a trade in 870 Police Magnum, they can be had for 250-350. Usually they have some cosmetic scuffs but are in great shape internally.
Link Posted: 6/4/2016 6:13:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Under armory, there is a shotgun forum, but I don't know how active it is. I would personally buy a trade in 870 Police Magnum, they can be had for 250-350. Usually they have some cosmetic scuffs but are in great shape internally.
View Quote

This was my backup plan if I didn't snag that wingmaster.
People don't mind you posting SBS stuff in the SBR forum. It will get more worthwhile responses than in the shotgun subforum IMHO
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 1:02:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Hi Everyone,

I am trying to debate my next SBR which I want to get submitted before July 41P implementation. I am debating between three different possibilities and hoping with some help, I can narrow it down so I can get the project underway. Right now I have 3 SBRs. I have a PS-90 which is currently pending, I have a CZ Scorpion and a 300 BLK AR. Pictures of my current two in hand provided for eye candy and to aid in consideration. So the three I am thinking about are as follows:

1- An AR 9mm lower: Joe Bob Outfitters has a Glock mag compatible billet 9mm lower I am thinking that I would like to SBR. Since a suppressed 9mm is very enjoyable to shoot, I am thinking this would be a good host and I have never owned a 9mm AR. This would allow me to just buy lower and submit form 1 before July without significant upfront investment which is crucial as I have a vacation coming up and can't invest too much right off the bat.

2- A AR lower: I would choose a nice AR lower to SBR and use it for multiple uppers. Likely 5.56 to start. I do already have a AR lower SBRed but its really a dedicated set up as seen below and the burnt bronze finish I went with prevents me from doing a lot of swapping around. This AR lower would be left black and would be used with multiple uppers.

3- Some sort of AK SBR: I would likely choose an affordable AK pistol and SBR that. I always liked the looks of a short AK and would need some guideance in this choose as far as what model to go with to SBR. It would have to be semi affordable (IE less than $850 for the pistol) in order to fit into my budget with the time constraints I face.

So what do you think? Of these three, which should I consider my next project? I have suppressors that could be used on any of the three choices.

Thanks
Jason

Here is my AR
http://www.jerzeedevil.com/photos/data/500/medium/300_3.jpg

My Scorpion
http://www.jerzeedevil.com/photos/data/500/medium/CZ2.jpg
View Quote

OP,  this is just the thread that keeps on giving!!

No idea how I missed these pics, haha, but d@m that AR SBR is just WOW!!!

I am in LOVe!!

specs and info please?

magpul stock right? model?
lower?
upper?
barrel make and length?
optic?
sights?

again, will be building up some sbr's real soon so any and info is appreciated!!

Also where did you get those AR mats? I've been looking for those and the Official GLOCK taken down ones for a mad minute now...

good stuff!

oNe
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 6:36:00 PM EDT
[#37]

Here is info from that build

-Spartan Billet Receiver
-8" 300 Blk Barrel
-Crosshill Technologies XSR2 Side Charging Upper
-Crosshill Technologies Ridge-Back Handguards 7.2"
-Hogue Stock
-Aimpoint Comp M3
-Yankee Hill Q.D. Phantom Brake
-Geiselle Dynamic Enchanced Trigger
-Badass 45 deg ambi safety
-JBO Lower Parts Kit
-KNS pins
-Hogue Beavertail Grip
-Crosshill Technology gas tube and micro gas block

I got the mats on Amazon I believe
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 5:08:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Here is info from that build

-Spartan Billet Receiver
-8" 300 Blk Barrel
-Crosshill Technologies XSR2 Side Charging Upper
-Crosshill Technologies Ridge-Back Handguards 7.2"
-Hogue Stock
-Aimpoint Comp M3
-Yankee Hill Q.D. Phantom Brake
-Geiselle Dynamic Enchanced Trigger
-Badass 45 deg ambi safety
-JBO Lower Parts Kit
-KNS pins
-Hogue Beavertail Grip
-Crosshill Technology gas tube and micro gas block

I got the mats on Amazon I believe
View Quote

Few questions for your good sir that I'm hoping you can assist with!

1. Married, single, kids? haha, how do you find the time to do all this, I ENVY you, we bought our stuff around the same time and besides picking up the goods from my FFL I haven't had time to do anything else...

Never filed a FORM 1 so very new to this hoping you can help..

2. How did you file your Form 1 on that lower?  i.e. what length for the barrel, stock, and overall lenght?

3. Same thing on that PAP m92 as I too will be SBR'ing but I know nothing about it, new to AK's..

4. Regarding the Hogue stock, whats your review on it? What made you go for it?    I found their page and they seem to have a lot of them:  http://www.hogueinc.com/tacrifles/ar15/buttstocks/mil-spec

I was set between the CRT v/s MOE but now it seems like a 3 way tie....

let me know!

I appreciate any and all the info!

oNe

p.s. I have a trust so I have been told I can just e-file, so hopefully its not as intimidating as it seems...
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 5:28:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is the advice I got when I posted this months back, M92 should clear any day now.. Plenty of options and directions to go for a stripper lower even if you have an AR SBR
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 10:47:51 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

This is the advice I got when I posted this months back, M92 should clear any day now.. Plenty of options and directions to go for a stripper lower even if you have an AR SBR
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

what was the advice?

Also what OAL did you file for on the M92?   What stock did you use?
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 12:12:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

what was the advice?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

what was the advice?

Taymag's question was "how do I maximize my NfA money if I have $1,000?" And someone said an AK pistol and a stripped lower and two stamps
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 1:47:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Taymag's question was "how do I maximize my NfA money if I have $1,000?" And someone said an AK pistol and a stripped lower and two stamps
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

what was the advice?

ahhh gotcha!

makes sense now he was answering my 3 questions as a whole.. got it!!

Since I posted and while I await for OP to reply I have been on the Google.. learned some!

1. was jus joking..

2/3. Still dont' have specific parts but research seems to indicate the general/popular OAL on a PAP m92 seems to be 29", so to be safe will most likely file accordingly..  For AR SBR's with m4 style stocks consensus seems to be 19" + barrel lenth..

4.  Still researching this Hogue stock.. seems like a winner but at double the price of the Magpul CTR is it worth it, not sure yet...

good stuff
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top