Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/29/2016 10:42:04 PM EDT
I'm going to build my first sbr.  I've got a spikes lower I'll send in to Orion Engraving is southern MN.  I'll be building it as an individual rather than on a trust.  Where's the preferred location for engraving?  I was thinking of the underside of the trigger area as its more discrete rather than having my name plastered on the side or front of the magwell.  I suppose I could just color it in black too.

Where's the preferred area?
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 10:46:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Magwell or above the trigger pins. I have both.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 11:15:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 11:16:38 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Around the trigger hole. Above trigger pins. Side of magwell. Front of magwell.

I bet you could send it to NC and have it done faster, for less, and of equal or better quality. Just saying.
View Quote

This right here. I like it above the trigger hole and Tar Heel State Firearms (who BW is referencing) does a great job.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 11:29:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Inside the trigger well. THSF all the way. Excellent service and engraving.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 11:33:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I assume when it says barrel must be marked conspicuously, that it must be visible without removing the handguards?  Not sure if my build will always be 9mm or if I'll want to swap it to 5.56 so not wanting to engrave the caliber on the receiver.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 11:38:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Wow, their pieces are cheap.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 11:55:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Underside of the trigger area is best. You'll forget it's even there.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:05:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:15:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 1:10:16 AM EDT
[#10]
I have done above the trigger/hammer pins on the left side. It looks good there and it was easy for my engraver.

MAHA
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 5:03:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 1:51:35 PM EDT
[#12]
On my billet lowers...I put it on bottom of trigger guard.  On my forged lowers I put it next to trigger hole.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 2:38:18 PM EDT
[#13]
I kinda like seeing the engraving. I'm paying for it and it's my name on there, why be ashamed of it or try to hide it?

I get the "clone correct" aspect of some guns and some super high end billet lowers you may not want to mess up the general aesthetics and all but on a regular forged lower, I like seeing the engraving.
YMMV

Oh, and I'm getting in on THSF's giveaway fo sho this month
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 2:14:27 AM EDT
[#14]
My preferred is inside the magwell but forged lowers will not allow it. If you are doing a spikes have them engrave it under the trigger guard. It's noticeable but kind of hidden. They will probably blacken it for you. I have not used Orion before. Most of my lowers were engraved by ident. I hate having it on the side of the magwell but some guys like it that way.
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 12:47:39 PM EDT
[#15]
I file as an indivdual, so my name is engraved on a registered AR lower, or upper as in case of my Sig P556 I SBR'ed

On my AR lowers I been engraving the inside lower lip on the mag well, as opposed to under the trigger opening.
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 1:07:25 PM EDT
[#16]
What's the best way to ship it?
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 1:23:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

never had a problem with a $6 flat rate box
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 2:01:25 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/3/2016 12:21:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know I'm required to notify them it's a firearm.  I assume I need adult signature required?
Link Posted: 3/3/2016 6:59:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

That.
Link Posted: 3/3/2016 9:17:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I know I'm required to notify them it's a firearm.  I assume I need adult signature required?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If it's a stripped lower are you required to tell them?
Link Posted: 3/3/2016 10:13:36 PM EDT
[#22]
I'd have to pull it up on the atf website but it says something about required to tell the carrier of shipping a firearm.
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 1:15:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"What are you shipping?"
"A lower receiver."
"Uh...okay..."

That's how that's always gone for me. I told them it's a receiver. They have no clue what that means. Their ignorance = not my problem.
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 6:35:00 AM EDT
[#24]
i have above the trigger pins....its fine for me there
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 11:37:28 AM EDT
[#25]
I'm going the right side above the trigger pins.  Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 3/5/2016 3:24:24 PM EDT
[#26]
I put mine on the right side above the trigger pins.

Link Posted: 3/6/2016 9:03:30 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
http://s15.postimg.org/9b85z095n/20160305_121704.jpg
View Quote

Good trust name.  I ususally do the same location.  Have a lower that has less than normal engraving so I went around the trigger hole for this one.

MAHA
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 9:30:48 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Good trust name.  I ususally do the same location.  Have a lower that has less than normal engraving so I went around the trigger hole for this one.

MAHA
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://s15.postimg.org/9b85z095n/20160305_121704.jpg

MAHA

I ALMOST named mine the Not Fade Away Trust. Wish i had
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 12:48:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
And FWIW...I happened to talk to Scott today. He said he's had a couple dozen forms get sent directly to customers in the last several weeks. I know I've seen that reported here several times recently, including somebody who go about a dozen or so forms (only one of which were actually his).

While we were talking, I mentioned he keeps getting good reviews about turnaround time. I told him I'd joked a couple times that of the mailman would make a second lap in his neighborhood, he might even be able to send some stuff back out the same day. He said he's had multiple occurrences of people sending stuff FedEx, and they usually come in the morning...and he's able to ship the items back out via USPS that afternoon.
View Quote

Where is he located?  I've got four lowers that need engraving.  

Link Posted: 3/7/2016 12:50:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 12:54:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Matthews. Not far off where I-485 & US74 intersect.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Where is he located?  I've got four lowers that need engraving.  

Matthews. Not far off where I-485 & US74 intersect.

Ha, no kidding.   I get on 485 off of 74 right there about once a week and head into Matthews at the first exit on 485 south.  Had no idea that's where he was, thanks.
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 2:00:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 9:50:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Very good good info!!

Can somebody please post a photo of the engraving inside of the receiver's magazines well of an AR/M4 lower receiver?  I'm just wondering how far/deep inside of the magazine well these markings go.

Thanks!!
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 9:58:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 10:52:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I've seen plenty of people do it, but it's a questionable enough location I'd never recommend it. With near the trigger hole or the front of the magwell as options, I just see no reason to play the game.

Most just do it on the inside of the lip, and their "theory" is they'd never had an ATF agent an AR with a mag inserted. Here's an example:

http://people.virginia.edu/~rjs7m/NFA/Veritas-AR-2.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Very good good info!!

Can somebody please post a photo of the engraving inside of the receiver's magazines well of an AR/M4 lower receiver?  I'm just wondering how far/deep inside of the magazine well these markings go.

Thanks!!

I've seen plenty of people do it, but it's a questionable enough location I'd never recommend it. With near the trigger hole or the front of the magwell as options, I just see no reason to play the game.

Most just do it on the inside of the lip, and their "theory" is they'd never had an ATF agent an AR with a mag inserted. Here's an example:

Earlysville!  Huh.  Right up the road.
Link Posted: 3/10/2016 12:18:02 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/10/2016 12:32:11 AM EDT
[#37]
Underside of the barrel (I'm not going to be using more than one barrel on the gun anyway)
Link Posted: 3/22/2016 8:48:52 PM EDT
[#38]
I got mine engraved by Tarheel, man he did excellent work.  I had it back less than a week from when I dropped it off in the mail.  I selected 1/16" for the engraving above the trigger pin on the right side.  You can barely even tell it's there.  I'll be sending him another one once my A1 lower shows up.
Link Posted: 3/22/2016 9:08:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 8:07:58 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Very good good info!!

Thanks!!

That's my lower, and yes, I live in E'ville.

Veritas does a great job, and are good people to deal with.

If you want to see it in person, let me know - I'm sure we can arrange something.

Bob S.
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 3:14:37 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

If you want to see it in person, let me know - I'm sure we can arrange something.

Bob S.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Very good good info!!

Thanks!!

Most just do it on the inside of the lip, and their "theory" is they'd never hand an ATF agent an AR with a mag inserted. Here's an example:

Bob S.

If you guys are talking about Veritas Machining in Union, MI, he's 20 miles from me. Phil, the owner is good people, and a Army vet.

In fact, I'm dropping off a lower tomorrow to be engraved. I also use the inside the magwell location.

I'd post pictures of his work on my lower, except it's my actual name. I file as an individual.

Link Posted: 3/25/2016 7:47:08 AM EDT
[#42]
I can't believe you guys have to mail your shit off to be engraved. I just drive over to Accu-Laser in Lee's Summit, MO, and for $30 I'm out of there in less than 20 minutes. New guy took it over last year, was only $20 before then. I guess these laser engravers must not be very common because he says folks ship him their guns from all over the country too.
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 10:13:26 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 10:14:20 PM EDT
[#44]
I get mine done on the bottom, around the trigger hole.
Since mine are 80%ers, it's fun to watch people freak out thinking they are sterile and illegal.

-Lee
Link Posted: 3/29/2016 12:31:25 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I can't believe you guys have to mail your shit off to be engraved. I just drive over to Accu-Laser in Lee's Summit, MO, and for $30 I'm out of there in less than 20 minutes. New guy took it over last year, was only $20 before then. I guess these laser engravers must not be very common because he says folks ship him their guns from all over the country too.
View Quote

I live in a small city and I don't trust people here with engravers. The best thing we have is a damn trophy shop that butchers everything. Lol
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 5:10:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Im getting ready to ship my lower off to Tar Heel Armory to be engraved. How do you guys ship your lowers off? USPS? UPS? What do you use to ship it in a flat rate box?

Can I ship it from home or do I have to have my FFL ship it and receive it back when its done?
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 5:43:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Im getting ready to ship my lower off to Tar Heel Armory to be engraved. How do you guys ship your lowers off? USPS? UPS? What do you use to ship it in a flat rate box?

Can I ship it from home or do I have to have my FFL ship it and receive it back when its done?
View Quote

I boxed mine up at home and dropped them off at USPS. No problems at all. They never ask me what I'm shipping.

Also, I had 2 lowers engraved by THSF last month and they do an excellent job and the turn around time is flat out impressive!
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 8:41:21 PM EDT
[#48]
All my 5.56 AR's have been engraved above the trigger pins, but I think with my Colt 6450, I'm going to have the upper receiver engraved, as I don't want to do the lower this time. It's only gonna wear a single upper, unlike my 5.56 guns.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 9:25:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 11:18:56 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Engraving is considered a repair, so you can ship it directly to them and they can ship it back to you...without it coming back through a local FFL.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Engraving is considered a repair, so you can ship it directly to them and they can ship it back to you...without it coming back through a local FFL.

Thats what I did. USPS. Im having my engraved above the trigger pins symmetrical to the Spikes info on the other side. Hopefully it will look about the same.

Now I have to actually get the upper for it. I want a LaRue 300blk 10.5 upper but I havent heard a peep about those in months. I guess ill have to get something else.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top