Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/29/2015 10:32:45 PM EDT
I am looking to order a stripped lower for Christmas to start my SBR build. Because this is my first NFA rifle, I dont want to think of the lower as how some say "a lower is a lower." As of now, I have been thinking to just buy a BCM complete upper after finishing the lower so I would consider this a high-end build (of course this may change). So I am trying to spend no more than $130, but under $100 would be great. Noveske and Spikes (with the spider) are some that I would really like, but I would like to know what you all have had experience with and would suggest for a higher-end SBR without breaking the bank to badly. I do not want the cheapest lower, but rather the best lower for the best price.

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 4:33:18 PM EDT
[#1]
MEGA or Rainier.

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 4:39:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Pick the rollmark you like and go.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 4:40:02 PM EDT
[#3]
IMO stop thinking of it as a high end build.  At that price point just focus on buying proven solid parts.  Get any forged lower (I'd say go with a Spikes Calico Jack lower I like the parley plunder AARRRRg selector) and fill it with great parts like a GOOD trigger, safety, and LPK. Then buy the best parts for the upper.

DD Upper or Palmetto State Armory Premium line.  Buy a receiver extension cover from EXILE machine and run the set up as a pistol while you wait for the stamp to go through.

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 4:42:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Aero Precision Schuyler Arms is a fantastic choice.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 4:58:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I've had very good luck with upper fitting with Colt, LMT, and Spike's lowers. Before you fill out the form 1, ensure that the upper you want to use fits the lower properly. Also make sure there are no issues with the lower parts kit.

Last night I helped a buddy put together a pistol and the LPK was from Sarco. The springs and detents all had a black finish to them which I thought was unique. The pivot and takedown pin detents were about 1/16" too long which I realized after trying to install the pivot pin only to have it shoot out a dozen times when I couldn't get the takedown pin in the hole. I used an Allen wrench to compress the spring fully and marked it with a pencil. Sure enough, 1/16" too long. After everything was together the hammer was riding the bolt carrier group, so I had to swap it out. Stick to name brand parts.

If you're going with an aftermarket trigger, pick up a WOA LPK without FCG. Those have been very good to me over the years.

Avoid gimmicks. I know it may seem like a cool idea to have the Statue of Liberty pissing on OBL as your rollmark or "boring, pew, pew pew pew" as your selector markings, but once you go through the long wait of the stamp, or years from now when your kids inherit your SBR, it's going to be some goofy gimmicky gun you're left wondering why you didn't just go with something more normal.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 5:14:17 PM EDT
[#6]
On all my higher end builds I use MEGA receivers.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 5:15:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

This...

Quoted:
Avoid gimmicks. I know it may seem like a cool idea to have the Statue of Liberty pissing on OBL as your rollmark or "boring, pew, pew pew pew" as your selector markings, but once you go through the long wait of the stamp, or years from now when your kids inherit your SBR, it's going to be some goofy gimmicky gun you're left wondering why you didn't just go with something more normal.

Plus this, and that's pretty much it.

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 5:46:45 PM EDT
[#8]
I used the yhm model 57 lower because I liked the way it looked and is built like a brick shithouse
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 6:08:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I am looking to order a stripped lower for Christmas to start my SBR build. Because this is my first NFA rifle, I dont want to think of the lower as how some say "a lower is a lower." As of now, I have been thinking to just buy a BCM complete upper after finishing the lower so I would consider this a high-end build (of course this may change). So I am trying to spend no more than $130, but under $100 would be great. Noveske and Spikes (with the spider) are some that I would really like, but I would like to know what you all have had experience with and would suggest for a higher-end SBR without breaking the bank to badly. I do not want the cheapest lower, but rather the best lower for the best price.

View Quote

It's really up to your preference. I have used billet uppers and lower for my higher end sbr builds. I like yhm model 57 and really like battle arms development new billet lower. However there are tons of other billets out there from mega arms, rainer, etc, etc. If you do use a billet I would get both the upper and lower for the build. That just my 2 cents
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 8:23:43 PM EDT
[#10]

CMMG

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 8:48:22 PM EDT
[#11]
First, there's a whole forum dedicated to SBRs.

Second, I concur with the group that suggest getting a quality lower with markings you like.  My first SBR was built on a lower from SOG Armory in Houston - it was made by JD Machine, and it's a really high quality lower.  I went with that one so that it would have a rollmark that was distinctively different from my other ARs.  I have quite a collection of different rollmarks; too bad Kaiser Defense is gone, their mark is beautiful.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 8:50:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Find and use what you like. It is just an SBR. Nothing magical about them.They are just shorter and of course... taxed 200 bucks.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 8:56:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Just saw Seekins Precision SP15 Forged AR15 Lower Receiver for sale at Joebobs for $89.  They are pretty nice.....
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 9:34:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
On all my higher end builds I use MEGA receivers.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 10:08:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 10:20:12 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm gonna go with a

Full fde aero precision gen 2 completed lower.
Lmt 10.5 with a kac or dd quadrail
Or
DD mk18
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 11:15:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Buy a whole dd mk18 pistol, and sbr it after the fact. Or you can buy a factory sbr and not have to get it engraved
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top