Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2015 8:37:59 AM EDT
I'm going to start off with saying I'm fucking tired of bolting on little rail sections. The little bolts end up stripping out if I want to take them off. (blue loctite)  

So I've gone through the Troy alpha rail and it's to short. I'm now on the samson evo and I like it but it's still bolting on rail panels . I'm just about ready to go back to the old quad rail that is tested and proven. I've looked into the DD mk18 ris ii but they seem to be either stupid high in price or not available at all. What rail is comparable to that one as far as length goes?

I've got the silencerco asr mount for my omega and that's what lives on my 10.5".

Pictures would be great if you got them.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 8:45:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm going to start off with saying I'm fucking tired of bolting on little rail sections. The little bolts end up stripping out if I want to take them off. (blue loctite)  

So I've gone through the Troy alpha rail and it's to short. I'm now on the samson evo and I like it but it's still bolting on rail panels . I'm just about ready to go back to the old quad rail that is tested and proven. I've looked into the DD mk18 ris ii but they seem to be either stupid high in price or not available at all. What rail is comparable to that one as far as length goes?

I've got the silencerco asr mount for my omega and that's what lives on my 10.5".

View Quote

DD lite rail is the first one that comes to mind. Pretty sure its the closest to the mk18 rail

Strike that. I thought DD sold the lite in 10" configuration, but looks like it isn't so. Lengthwise, a 10" will probably be the closest you can get unless I'm missing something that's out there in a 9.5". The mk18 rail is 9.55"
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:41:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

DD lite rail is the first one that comes to mind. Pretty sure its the closest to the mk18 rail

Strike that. I thought DD sold the lite in 10" configuration, but looks like it isn't so. Lengthwise, a 10" will probably be the closest you can get unless I'm missing something that's out there in a 9.5". The mk18 rail is 9.55"
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Assuming a 10" rail would fit that ASR/Omega setup, a Centurion C4 10" or Larue 10" would be a nice fit. Seems like there are very few 9.5" quads available.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:53:55 AM EDT
[#3]
I guess I could call larue and ask but would the extra 0.45" in length over the mk18 ris ii put it to long so the suppressor won't attach?
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 10:13:50 AM EDT
[#4]
What about a rail like the Geissele mk4 or an offering from SLR where the end couple inches has rail and the rest is smooth?
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 10:18:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I guess I could call larue and ask but would the extra 0.45" in length over the mk18 ris ii put it to long so the suppressor won't attach?
View Quote

It's possible that it wouldn't attach. Unfortunately 9" would probably be a safer bet with those.

Actually, there's always the 10" Spike's BAR rail.. pretty sure the ID on those is large enough to fit a suppressor.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 10:20:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What about a rail like the Geissele mk4 or an offering from SLR where the end couple inches has rail and the rest is smooth?
View Quote

^^THIS^^
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 10:28:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Get a Larue 9.0.  Great with a 10.3" or 10.5" barrel and it's less than 3 oz heavier than a Geissele MK4 OG version (not sure about mlok and dickmod versions).  For me the small weight penalty is well worth the tradeoff to get what is a better handguard for *my* wants/needs.

ETA:  I think a 10" long handguard is going to be too long to use with most mount and suppressor combos on a 10.5" barrel.  SLR has some special versions that are 9.7" long and may be the longest you can fit if that is really a top priority.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 12:11:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

^^THIS^^
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

^^THIS^^

I looked at them and it doesn't offer enough rail space between my 952v, dbal i2,and BUIS. I was know my phone and the mobile site didn't want to play nicely with my phone.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 1:12:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I looked at them and it doesn't offer enough rail space between my 952v, dbal i2,and BUIS. I was know my phone and the mobile site didn't want to play nicely with my phone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

^^THIS^^

Where are you mounting the DBAL??
Are you saying it is lacking room for the actual Hardware or for the switches to activate the dbal and 952? I would think you should have enough real estate on the top rail to accommodate the BUIS and the DBAL, and should have enough on the side for the light. An activation switch would be my only concern..

Edit - SAMSON makes a full quad that is 9"  long. SAMSON STAR M
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 2:05:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Are you saying it is lacking room for the actual Hardware or for the switches to activate the dbal and 952? I would think you should have enough real estate on the top rail to accommodate the BUIS and the DBAL, and should have enough on the side for the light. An activation switch would be my only concern..

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

^^THIS^^

12 o'clock on the rail has my Troy BUIS reversed, directly behind it is the dbal.
9 o'clock is my 952v switch zip tied to the rail.
3 o'clock is the 952v itself.

If I put the pressure switch behind the dbal, it's close to upper receiver and is not comfortable at all to shoot it.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 2:11:37 PM EDT
[#11]
YHM mounts will allow the use of a 10.5 and 10" rail + suppressor.

Other mounts attachment systems will not let this happen. This is why the mk18 RIS II and Geissele offerings are in the 9.5 ish range.

10.5 with 10" centurion

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 2:20:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Apex HG with a FSB cutout is what I use on my LMT 10.5 with a Saker 7.62.  But you'll have to bolt on the rail sections.  Let me know if want a pic.

http://www.apexhandguard.com/2150-ar15-8-5-ext-carbine-length-with-cutout-8-1-oz-with-hardware-apex-gatorgrip-handguard/
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 3:01:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Other mounts attachment systems will not let this happen. This is why the mk18 RIS II and Geissele offerings are in the 9.5 ish range.

10.5 with 10" centurion

http://i.imgur.com/2dN5Hkb.jpg
View Quote

That's exactly what I'm looking for. Looks like the locking ring/color is right there just under the rail but still has access to it.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 3:43:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

That's exactly what I'm looking for. Looks like the locking ring/color is right there just under the rail but still has access to it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

10.5 with 10" centurion

Might want to re-read that.  The Omega will not fit on a 10.5" barrel with a 10" rail.  You need a 9.5" or shorter rail.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 3:59:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Might want to re-read that.  The Omega will not fit on a 10.5" barrel with a 10" rail.  You need a 9.5" or shorter rail.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

10.5 with 10" centurion

Yhm mounts are the only one?

And by saying that's exactly what I'm looking for, I mean that is the setup I need. Not that I'm going to buy the rail in the picture.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 4:56:25 PM EDT
[#16]
I used a 10" Seekins Precision BAR rail on my 10.5" for possible future suppressor use. It's advertised as being big enough for suppressors to fit into the handguard. I haven't tried it yet with a friends suppressor, but I believe the advertisements because that sucker is fat.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 5:36:33 PM EDT
[#17]
This is almost getting to the point of just buying another upper. For the price of some of these rails, I can get a DD mk18 upper that has the ris ii rail on it,for a couple hundred more.

That's how I'll justify it anyway... Lol
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 7:58:48 PM EDT
[#18]
10.5 BA barrel + 10" Geissele MKI + YHM phantom

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 8:04:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
10.5 BA barrel + 10" Geissele MKI + YHM phantom

http://i.imgur.com/oiGMuui.jpg
View Quote

I'm thinking the yhm mounts are the only thing allowing you to use the 10" rails like you stated above. I'm curious to compare the asr to the yhm mount.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:10:24 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a 10.3" with a MI TT 10" rail.  With my YHM QD mount and Phantom TI can it mounts up with a tiny amount of room between them.

I also (at one point) used a 6.75" barrel on a 7" MI TT rail with YHM QD mount.  I wanted that mount for a SSS brake shield.  I had to take a dremel (alumablacked the bare aluminum) to the end of the rail to open it up enough to get it to fit.  The MI TT  rails are cheap enough that grinding on them didn't bother me a bit.  I went with a 7.5" barrel later and used the same rail and it worked out fine.

10.3"

6.75"

Both 10.3" and 7.5"

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 10:13:35 PM EDT
[#21]
I know the ris rails tend to be pricey. But it fits my 10.5 inch noveske barrel perfectly....

my 10.5 with AAC 51t brake and 762sdn6 has just enough clearance. Any tighter and after everything heats up, it may be difficult to take apart.

Usually 1/2 an inch is all it takes.  My Seekins 10.5 inch with 10 inch rail is just as tight, and AAC 9 inch with KAC URX4 8.5 inch fits perfect also.  But not all rails are rated the same, most companies round to the nearest 1/2 inch.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 10:48:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

And by saying that's exactly what I'm looking for, I mean that is the setup I need. Not that I'm going to buy the rail in the picture.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

10.5 with 10" centurion

Gotcha.  However I believe I may stand to be corrected....  Bare with me cause I may have had a few too many Millers already. My gun is a 10" 300blk barrel and 9" DD lite III rail.  The actual rail measurement is 9.25".  barrel measures 10".  As you can see in the pics there is a 1/4" gap between the rail and the ASR mount.  So you could have a 1/4" longer rail, figure 9.5 rail and 10 barrel.  So theoretically a 10" rail and 10.5" barrel should be VERY close.  You should be able to use shims to space it out as required and for timing the muzzle device.

Link Posted: 10/10/2015 3:40:14 AM EDT
[#23]
I've got a centurion FSP carbine rail on mine (10.5 lmt upper) and my gemtech halo still fits over the back of the FH.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 7:57:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Gotcha.  However I believe I may stand to be corrected....  Bare with me cause I may have had a few too many Millers already. My gun is a 10" 300blk barrel and 9" DD lite III rail.  The actual rail measurement is 9.25".  barrel measures 10".  As you can see in the pics there is a 1/4" gap between the rail and the ASR mount.  So you could have a 1/4" longer rail, figure 9.5 rail and 10 barrel.  So theoretically a 10" rail and 10.5" barrel should be VERY close.  You should be able to use shims to space it out as required and for timing the muzzle device.

<a href="http://s234.photobucket.com/user/MPSpecV/media/20151009_213449.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee311/MPSpecV/20151009_213449.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s234.photobucket.com/user/MPSpecV/media/20151009_213433.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee311/MPSpecV/20151009_213433.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s234.photobucket.com/user/MPSpecV/media/20151009_213259.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee311/MPSpecV/20151009_213259.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

10.5 with 10" centurion

<a href="http://s234.photobucket.com/user/MPSpecV/media/20151009_213449.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee311/MPSpecV/20151009_213449.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s234.photobucket.com/user/MPSpecV/media/20151009_213433.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee311/MPSpecV/20151009_213433.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s234.photobucket.com/user/MPSpecV/media/20151009_213259.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee311/MPSpecV/20151009_213259.jpg</a>

You are the man! I'd buy you another beer if I could!
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 9:31:42 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure they did.

I don't have my specwar k yet, but another member got it to fit fine. Based on the other member's pictures, it will be a VERY tight fit with a specwar /omega. I used a little over 4mm worth of shims to increase clearance. The other member did not need shims for his 10.5'' to thread the mount all the way on, but I did.

Other member's carbine.

Clearance special on the lite rail 2.

Link Posted: 10/10/2015 11:03:47 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Sure they did.    

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f306/ASULeadTrumpet/DSCN1586_zpsaqrtdjwd.jpg

I don't have my specwar k yet, but another member got it to fit fine. Based on the other member's pictures, it will be a VERY tight fit with a specwar /omega. I used a little over 4mm worth of shims to increase clearance. The other member did not need shims for his 10.5'' to thread the mount all the way on, but I did.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f306/ASULeadTrumpet/DSCN16121_zpszlmlgk3s.jpg

Other member's carbine.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f306/ASULeadTrumpet/DSC00343_zps1ohcedcn.jpg

http://www.westernsport.com/product-p/dd-01-002-01028.htm

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure they did.    

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f306/ASULeadTrumpet/DSCN1586_zpsaqrtdjwd.jpg

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f306/ASULeadTrumpet/DSCN16121_zpszlmlgk3s.jpg

Other member's carbine.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f306/ASULeadTrumpet/DSC00343_zps1ohcedcn.jpg

http://www.westernsport.com/product-p/dd-01-002-01028.htm

That's to good of a deal to pass up. Just ordered it!
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 3:13:26 PM EDT
[#27]
So I was mistaken about the clearance on my Specwar K with my mk18 rail. It being still at the dealer, I had to take a picture.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 5:00:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
So I was mistaken about the clearance on my Specwar K with my mk18 rail. It being still at the dealer, I had to take a picture.
<a href="http://s1121.photobucket.com/user/jparish62/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20151009_123007620_zpsjhfkxxgv.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l519/jparish62/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20151009_123007620_zpsjhfkxxgv.jpg</a>
View Quote

Looks like to me a 10" rail will work. I might have to shim the break out a little but I've got enough shims so it ain't a big deal.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 5:35:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Looks like to me a 10" rail will work. I might have to shim the break out a little but I've got enough shims so it ain't a big deal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
<a href="http://s1121.photobucket.com/user/jparish62/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20151009_123007620_zpsjhfkxxgv.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l519/jparish62/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20151009_123007620_zpsjhfkxxgv.jpg</a>

Good grab on the rail.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 1:49:38 PM EDT
[#30]
I'll post pictures up when I get it mounted up.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 7:34:14 PM EDT
[#31]
DSC_6740 by The Dorsal Fin, on Flickr
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 6:02:59 PM EDT
[#32]
One other thing, the ASR mount will not fit under the handguard, so you have to install it after installing the rail, which is a problem since you can't access the wrench flats. I took a huge screw driver that was slightly smaller than the ports, stuck it in the rear most port, and use that to torque it on.
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 3:44:22 PM EDT
[#33]
With a cunt hair to spare! " />
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 4:53:29 PM EDT
[#34]

How many shims did you use?

Link Posted: 10/15/2015 5:07:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

4 I believe but that was to get the brake timed. I really didn't need any if the brake was a flash hider.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top