Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2015 3:26:16 PM EDT
I have completed a Form 1 for a 5.56. Can I later swap a 300 BLK upper? My intention would be to use both uppers on the registered lower. If this is possible, what would I have to do as far as the engraving? The lower has no caliber markings now and I will have to engrave it as the 5.56 I built on the Form 1.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 3:29:47 PM EDT
[#1]
That is perfectly fine. Once your approved form comes back and you build your rifle you are aloud to change configurations/caliber and have no need to notify the ATF you have done so. As long as the barrel is engraved with the caliber you don't need to engrave any caliber on the lower itself.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 3:32:28 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That is perfectly fine. Once your approved form comes back and you build your rifle you are aloud to change configurations/caliber and have no need to notify the ATF you have done so. As long as the barrel is engraved with the caliber you don't need to engrave any caliber on the lower itself.
View Quote
Thats what I thought, but I didnt want to jam myself up. Thanks.

Link Posted: 10/2/2015 4:23:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

You can use whatever upper you like on the registered lower so long as the barrel is the same or longer than what was registered. As an example, you can't register as an 11.5" 556 and then put on a 10.5" 300blk. Always register the weapon with he shortest barrel you plan on using.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 4:28:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
You can use whatever upper you like on the registered lower so long as the barrel is the same or longer than what was registered. As an example, you can't register as an 11.5" 556 and then put on a 10.5" 300blk. Always register the weapon with he shortest barrel you plan on using.
View Quote

No.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 8:00:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nonsense.  Once you have built the SBR as specified on the Form 1, you can freely change uppers to any barrel length (longer or shorter than on the F1) and any caliber.  You do not need to retain the original upper, you do not need to be able to place it back into the registered configuration, and you do not need to notify ATF of any change.

Edit: ATF requests that you notify them of any "permanent" change in configuration.  Whether anything could truly be considered to be a permanent change on an AR-type platform is, I guess, up to your discretion.  However, ATF has no legal or regulatory basis to require notification.  You can provide it if you choose, but there's no such requirement.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 10:05:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Simply not true
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 11:36:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where do you people come up with this garbage? Seriously, I want to know.

OP, literally nothing that guy said is correct.

1. Register the gun as it will initially be built.
2. Don't engrave the caliber anywhere, the barrel will be engraved with caliber from the manufacturer.
3. Put any caliber or length barrel you want on it after that. Nothing is required. You don't have to tell the ATF that you're changing it. They don't care.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 1:15:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top