Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/30/2015 3:13:44 PM EDT
So I have several stamps in and have an appointment for engraving the receivers tomorrow.

I know I must engrave full trust name and city and state where it was made.  Do I have to engrave SBR or anything else like caliber? The receiver already has the serial number/caliber and model number on it from the factory.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 3:14:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Just the Full Trust name and city and state it is being made.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 3:22:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Clearest reference I've seen on it is ATF 2013-3.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 3:29:12 PM EDT
[#3]
If the caliber, SN, and model# are already marked then all you need is the name and city/state. If the caliber is different or "multi" you would need a caliber engraving. If you chose a different model# or SN then those would need to be engraved as well.

In most situations, name and city/state are all that is required
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 3:57:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 4:01:20 PM EDT
[#5]
If the receiver is marked Multi, you don't necessarily have to engrave the receiver for a caliber as long as the barrel is marked with the caliber.  From the reference above:

If the caliber or gauge was not identified or designated (e.g., marked “multi”) on
the firearm, the manufacturer, importer, or maker must legibly and conspicuously
mark the frame, receiver, barrel, or pistol slide (if applicable) with the actual
caliber/gauge once the caliber or gauge is known.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 7:31:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I found this info really helpful for engraving questions.

If you are holding an Application for Tax Paid Transfer and Registration of Firearm (labeled on the top right of the form), or ATF Form 4 (labeled on the bottom right of the form), then you are not a manufacturer, importer (into the U.S.), or maker of the firearm, thus there is no engraving requirement.  If you are holding an Application to Make and Register a Firearm (labeled on the top right of the form), or ATF Form 1 (labeled on the bottom right of the form), then you are either a manufacturer or maker of a firearm, thus there is an engraving requirement.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 8:09:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If the receiver is marked Multi, you don't necessarily have to engrave the receiver for a caliber as long as the barrel is marked with the caliber.  From the reference above:

If the caliber or gauge was not identified or designated (e.g., marked “multi”) on
the firearm, the manufacturer, importer, or maker must legibly and conspicuously
mark the frame, receiver, barrel, or pistol slide (if applicable) with the actual
caliber/gauge once the caliber or gauge is known.
View Quote

Caliber markings are on the barrel, yes... But they are 99 times out of 100 covered up with the rail.

This is not conspicuously marked.

Yeah, it splitting hairs, but why even risk it? I had "cal - 5.56" put under my trust info.

I'm not leaving anything to chance with this sort of thing.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:42:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I found this info really helpful for engraving questions.

If you are holding an Application for Tax Paid Transfer and Registration of Firearm (labeled on the top right of the form), or ATF Form 4 (labeled on the bottom right of the form), then you are not a manufacturer, importer (into the U.S.), or maker of the firearm, thus there is no engraving requirement.  If you are holding an Application to Make and Register a Firearm (labeled on the top right of the form), or ATF Form 1 (labeled on the bottom right of the form), then you are either a manufacturer or maker of a firearm, thus there is an engraving requirement.
View Quote

A manufacturer uses a Form 2 to register an NFA weapon.
A maker uses a Form 1 to register an NFA weapon.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 3:12:41 AM EDT
[#9]
These are all form 1's, ANd it appears all info minus trust info and location are marked, so it looks like thats all I will need.

Thanks guys!

Thread can be closed mods.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top