Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2015 11:19:57 PM EDT
Hoping that some of you way more smarter guys can help me out.  I'm currently building an SBR with a Spike's Tactical upper and lower and now have a great Geissele Rail.  I have my tax stamp in the works also and put down for an 11.5 " Barrel.  My issue and question is I was looking at getting a Daniel Defense 11.5" 5.56mm Carbine, 1:7, Government Profile barrel.

I was looking at some posts where someone was saying they were having issues with a Daniel Defense barrel when it came to the gas port.  I've now seen the BCM BCM  BFH™  11.5" Carbine Barrel, Stripped.  

So simply anyone have any tips or take on the two barrels?  I'm looking at eventually also suppressing this weapon also.  Thanks in advance to all that help out, this is a great place to get good advice.  I used the advice during my first SBR paperwork and all worked out great.  So thanks for willing to help out.

Robert

Link Posted: 3/26/2015 12:44:45 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't have either barrel you specifically listed but I do have a DD MK18 upper with the 10.3" barrel and an 11.5" BCM Standard barrel with a 10" KMR rail (Spikes upper and lower also).

Again, can't speak on the gas port of the 11.5" DD but the 10.3" is definitely more gassed than my BCM upper. I also plan on suppressing both rifles and have recently acquired a SLR Sentry 7 adjustable gas block. I will try it on the BCM and if it works well the DD will probably get one as well.

The only thing I have noticed between the two is that the DD barrel seems to have much better groupings at 100 yds than the BCM. My last outing was a completely unscientific test complete with an Eotech on the DD and an Aimpoint on the BCM but I did use the same lower (trigger) on both uppers from the bench. I know sbr's aren't necessarily precision rifles but thought it was worth mentioning.

FWIW, I am extremely happy with both barrels and wouldn't hesitate to buy either brand again.

Link Posted: 3/26/2015 2:01:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a MK18 upper and for what it is worth, I get quarter sized groups at 100m from the bench pretty consistantly with hand loads and about 1in groupings with the cheap 55gr surplus stuff. This is with a Trijicon Ta26 ACOG and a NEA CCS stock.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 3:44:01 PM EDT
[#3]
purely going off that u plan to suppress some day i would go with dd, according to adco they are gtg as far as concetric threads go. better yet if u can get the barrel from adco they will check for free. atleast they did with the 10.3 dd barreled upper i just got from them.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 4:13:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I would go BCM.  My 12.5" DD barrel seems to be over-gassed.  I have to run the LMT Enhanced Carrier, standard spring, and H3 buffer to even get close to a normal ejection pattern while running it suppressed.

Even without the suppressor it still ejects around 4 o'clock with reloads that aren't hot at all (23.5gr of H335 with a 55gr FMJ and CCI #41).
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 9:31:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't have either barrel you specifically listed but I do have a DD MK18 upper with the 10.3" barrel and an 11.5" BCM Standard barrel with a 10" KMR rail (Spikes upper and lower also).

Again, can't speak on the gas port of the 11.5" DD but the 10.3" is definitely more gassed than my BCM upper. I also plan on suppressing both rifles and have recently acquired a SLR Sentry 7 adjustable gas block. I will try it on the BCM and if it works well the DD will probably get one as well.

The only thing I have noticed between the two is that the DD barrel seems to have much better groupings at 100 yds than the BCM. My last outing was a completely unscientific test complete with an Eotech on the DD and an Aimpoint on the BCM but I did use the same lower (trigger) on both uppers from the bench. I know sbr's aren't necessarily precision rifles but thought it was worth mentioning.

FWIW, I am extremely happy with both barrels and wouldn't hesitate to buy either brand again.

View Quote

You guys are bad ass if you can hit anything at 100 yards with an EOTech.  I can hit where I want at 25, but going to 100 and all bets are off.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 9:32:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the input fellas, I'm totally getting fired up with my build.  I just got my stripped upper, lower and Geissele Mk3 Mod1 rail back from Grim Brothers today in his version of the Disruptive Gray color.  It looks totaly AWSOME!!!!!!!

I'm kind of leaning towards the BCM barrel because I also see where it's dimpled for the gas block.  The pictures also look like it's really a nice color.

Thanks again for the input and hope all is well with all of you,

Robert

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:50:07 PM EDT
[#7]
I went with a DD 10.3" complete upper and can tell you from the research I've done that DD runs a larger gas port on their barrels than BCM. I want to say DD is .082 on their 10.3" barrels and BCM is .073 or very close to that on their 11.5". This didn't bother me at all since I am planning on adding a suppressor down the road and got a MicroMOA Govnah gas block that I have set for .073 unsupressed and a smaller port for suppressed use. I haven't had a chance to shoot it out too far range wise yet, but it's been just as accurate as my BCM 16" middy at the same ranges so far. And like mentioned above, ADCO has specifically mentioned DD barrels are good to go as far as being bore concentric. You really can't go wrong with either.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top