Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2015 12:33:16 AM EDT
I'm planning on submitting my first form 1 Sbr and have a question about over all length. It's a 9mm SD AR15 build. I have a 5.5" tros 3 lug barrel. The hand guards extend past the barrel and I slide the silencer in between the rails  to give it the SD look. For overall length do I measure where the barrel ends or where the rail ends since since the rails extend past the barrel a few inches?

Also should the stock be extended or closed when taking over all length?

Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 1:34:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm planning on submitting my first form 1 Sbr and have a question about over all length. It's a 9mm SD AR15 build. I have a 5.5" tros 3 lug barrel. The hand guards extend past the barrel and I slide the silencer in between the rails  to give it the SD look. For overall length do I measure where the barrel ends or where the rail ends since since the rails extend past the barrel a few inches?

Thanks guys!
View Quote

Rail is removable just like a flash hider. Measure from extended stock to the end of the barrel.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 4:57:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Rail is removable just like a flash hider. Measure from extended stock to the end of the barrel.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks guys!

Yep...and don't get wrapped around the axle, or rail in this case, trying to get an exact measurement...close/possible/plausible is good enough.

A Colt M4 with 14.5" barrel is 33" (stock extended); yours will be 24" (33-9)...done!
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 7:29:20 AM EDT
[#3]
I have to say that one of the silly things about the regs for SBR is the whole overall measurement process. According to the NFA handbook you cant possess the parts to assemble a SBR(ie: barrel), but you are required to input the overall length for a gun to which you cant own the parts to actually give a accurate measurement. lol
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 10:07:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys so tip of barrel to the extended stock. This is my first form 1 so it's all new to me. I usually buy completed rifles.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 12:53:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

A Colt M4 with 14.5" barrel is 33" (stock extended); yours will be 24" (33-9)...done!
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/25/2015 1:14:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Well I eformed tonight. Hopefully it will be approved within a month or two. Actually did a couple. Easier than I thought.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 10:57:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have to say that one of the silly things about the regs for SBR is the whole overall measurement process. According to the NFA handbook you cant possess the parts to assemble a SBR(ie: barrel), but you are required to input the overall length for a gun to which you cant own the parts to actually give a accurate measurement. lol
View Quote

Wow, you got that right!
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 7:23:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

One must remember that, in general, when NFA was enacted (1934), modular firearms like the AR-15 did not exist. Therefore, Form 1's would normally be a modification of an existing rifle/shotgun, where calculation of OAL would be easier.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:37:16 AM EDT
[#9]
When I did a form 1 for my 11.5 I just copied the wikipedia numbers for the Colt Commando LOL.

Or maybe it was the Colt website. Been a while.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:51:29 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

When I did a form 1 for my 11.5 I just copied the wikipedia numbers for the Colt Commando LOL.

Or maybe it was the Colt website. Been a while.

View Quote
All of my OAL are from Wikipedia lol

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top