Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/15/2015 5:01:45 PM EDT
It's loud and nasty and spits fire from the muzzle (and gas from everywhere else).  

I don't know if it's over gassed, or under gassed, has bad ammo or if it really matters.  It's using a standard buffer as well.  No beefy extractor, magical wizard springs, or anything done to "tweak it".  It shoots every time, all the time.  I shot yesterday and am looking at it today and it is absolute gross.  It's happened before and I thought it was ammo, but I'm not 100%.

My worry is that when I shoot more in one trip with it, which I will be doing so soon, it's going to start acting up.  Do I need to look into this issue, or just carry on?
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 5:15:42 PM EDT
[#1]
You might try heavier buffers or an adjustable gas block.

10.5" guns are a bit obnoxious, so it's possible that it's normal. My 10.5 oozes powder residue and excess oil from the upper/lower gap when I shoot it suppressed, but it's similar to a normal AR with a muzzle blast problem unsuppressed.

What ammo?

Is recoil particularly harsh compared to other ARs you own?

Link Posted: 2/15/2015 5:29:48 PM EDT
[#2]
mine are obnoxiously loud, but aren't any dirtier than my longer rifles.
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 7:50:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

10.5" guns are a bit obnoxious, so it's possible that it's normal. My 10.5 oozes powder residue and excess oil from the upper/lower gap when I shoot it suppressed, but it's similar to a normal AR with a muzzle blast problem unsuppressed.

What ammo?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

What ammo?

Recoil isn't anything I notice one way or the other.  I'm using Wolf Gold Brass non-corrosive, loose packed, 1000 rd boxes.  When someone else is shooting and you're standing back and to the right, you can see clouds of unburnt powder (I assume?) flying out with the extracted shells.  But I'm actually scraping carbon off my BCM bolt, not just wiping it away.  Maybe it's no big deal and it's just going to be a pain to clean.

Quoted:
mine are obnoxiously loud, but aren't any dirtier than my longer rifles.

Yeah, it's as loud as you'd expect a 10.5" to be, but it's literally covered in what looks like fine graphite powder.
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 10:23:05 PM EDT
[#4]
What size gas port? An H2 or H3 buffer may be in order to delay unlock and decrease junk in the action.
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 11:47:45 PM EDT
[#5]
An adjustable gas block and Vltor A5 buffer system will make a world of difference.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 12:18:16 AM EDT
[#6]
H2 buffer did wonders for mine.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 12:38:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Wolf is notoriosly dirty in my experience to start.  My 10.5 is loud also but the KAC Flashcan helps a lot to direct it away from me.

I started with a H2 so can't comment if that will help.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 5:30:15 AM EDT
[#8]
An adjustable gas block helps alot, that and an LMT Enhanced BCG
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 11:01:20 AM EDT
[#9]
By keeping your rifle properly lubed (PROPERLY, NOT OVERLY), you can get to over 10k rounds without a cleaning.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 11:12:45 AM EDT
[#10]
OP, what angle/clock position is your brass pile from you?  This will give a decent idea of whether you are set up right.

I cleaned my 9mm SBR for the first time in............don't actually remember.  It didn't look like mud shown above, but it did wreck a good amount of cleaning patches.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 1:46:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for all the help guys - too many replies to respond to all individually, so I'll add it here.

1) Barrel & Block:  10.5" .223 Wylde SS barrel w/ .750 gas port & VLTOR low pro set screw gas block.

2) I dimpled the barrel, having never done it, and I seemed to have done it correctly.  HOWEVER, I've seen a bit of carbon fowling around the edges of the gas block, like it's not quite tight enough?

3) Shells are all over.  I shoot in a lane about 36" wide and they just bounce off the divider to my right and then bounce behind me.  When I police my brass afterwards they are everywhere.  Haven't thought to ask anyone to watch where they are consistently going.

4) And after seeing that pic, maybe I shouldn't be too worried!  

I guess it's possible I'm over lubing it or something?  Anyway, I'm just trying to learn a little here.  I don't have someone to shoot with that would say "That's nothing, you're fine", so I'm not sure if I should be concerned or not.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 12:22:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Thanks for all the help guys - too many replies to respond to all individually, so I'll add it here.

1) Barrel & Block:  10.5" .223 Wylde SS barrel w/ .750 gas port & VLTOR low pro set screw gas block.

View Quote

What brand barrel?  .750 is the barrel diameter at the gas block journal.  We were curious about the actual port size.  I would try an adjustable GB.  It looks gassed fat from the mess, and I have a MK18 that is similar.  Mine is getting a Govnah for the can.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 6:37:06 AM EDT
[#13]
since you say the gun is running fine it's prob just the wolf and maybe your lube , what are you using for lube ?  

a little gas leaking around the gas block isn't a big deal , it will seal up over time with carbon

Link Posted: 2/17/2015 11:47:56 AM EDT
[#14]
I would guess it's mostly ammo, and maybe some gas leakage which can be somewhat normal. With my 'normal' ammo (Federal 55gr TRU), there's barely any muzzle flash from my 10.5 w/ A2 birdcage. Shooting cheap ammo, however, creates a 2' fireball. I would keep track of any signs of gas leakage, as in my case (leakage where the gas tube goes into the gas block) it caused enough gas loss to create short stroking. I run a Colt H3 buffer too. I would go heavier than a carbine buffer.....feels better and easier on the gun in the long run.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 4:24:52 AM EDT
[#15]

<-----------

Join the club bro

I've got two 10.5" uppers, they get dirty.

Eta, you think it's dirty now? Put a suppressor on the end of that thing and you'll see some build up.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 7:41:04 AM EDT
[#16]
^ this.

Wait till its suppressed.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 1:45:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

2) I dimpled the barrel, having never done it, and I seemed to have done it correctly.  HOWEVER, I've seen a bit of carbon fowling around the edges of the gas block, like it's not quite tight enough?

3) Shells are all over.  I shoot in a lane about 36" wide and they just bounce off the divider to my right and then bounce behind me.  When I police my brass afterwards they are everywhere.  Haven't thought to ask anyone to watch where they are consistently going.

I guess it's possible I'm over lubing it or something?  Anyway, I'm just trying to learn a little here.  I don't have someone to shoot with that would say "That's nothing, you're fine", so I'm not sure if I should be concerned or not.
View Quote

Oh man I have got to see this. Pics ASAP
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 2:28:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

<-----------

Join the club bro

Eta, you think it's dirty now? Put a suppressor on the end of that thing and you'll see some build up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

<-----------

Join the club bro

Quoted:
^ this.

It is suppressed.  

Quoted:
Quoted:

Wait, you want me to disassemble everything to take a picture of the dimples?  
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 11:45:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Oh, you are shooting it supressed?  It's normal for a direct impingement gun to get filthy when a Supressor is used
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 8:22:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Oh, you are shooting it supressed?  It's normal for a direct impingement gun to get filthy when a Supressor is used
View Quote

^ This
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 12:43:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

^ This
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

^ This

Now I find out.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 1:06:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

It is suppressed.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<-----------

Join the club bro

Quoted:
^ this.

It is suppressed.  

Quoted:
Quoted:

I think that he thinks you dimpled you barrel as in those aesthetic dimples (some ppl say they dissipate heat) over the entire barrel.  I don't think he thought gas block dimpling.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 1:34:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I think that he thinks you dimpled you barrel as in those aesthetic dimples (some ppl say they dissipate heat) over the entire barrel.  I don't think he thought gas block dimpling.
View Quote

Ahhhh....

That's funny.  Yeah, I dimpled the barrel twice - where each of the gas block set screws connect to the barrel.  I've checked the tightness a few times and it's still good to go.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 9:40:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Govnah gas block will help, but being suppressed its gonna run dirty.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 10:42:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Do I want to adjust gas up or down?  Down = less gas?
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 12:32:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Yup... my suppressed 300BO gets absolutely filthy.  Brass comes out covered in soot too.  Perfectly normal.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 5:03:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

You'll almost always see this with gas blocks.  Normally it fills in with carbon and that limits how much leaks out.    I would not worry unless you start seeing sparks fly out from under the gas block (this is a thing that actually does happen - not to be confused with normal sparks out of the muzzle   )
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 4:18:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

You'll almost always see this with gas blocks.  Normally it fills in with carbon and that limits how much leaks out.    I would not worry unless you start seeing sparks fly out from under the gas block (this is a thing that actually does happen - not to be confused with normal sparks out of the muzzle   )
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Great, thanks.  This is my first SS setup, so I guess that's why I've never noticed it on another gun.

Here is a pic after I had cleaned it with some cleaner and cotton swabs when I thought it was a problem.

Link Posted: 3/20/2015 8:46:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Long story short, I did some testing today and I think this (and another problem) are all related to shitty surplus reloads I bought in bulk (loose) several months ago.  CBC, AE, and Wolf Gold have all worked fine for me.  I've had two feeding and ejecting problems with the ammo I'm using, and it's ejecting when suppressed looking like Tula.  Glad I'm all out as of today.  So much for trying to save 4 cents a round.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top