Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/1/2015 3:33:42 PM EDT
I see many 10.5 inch barrels with carbine gas ports.  Reviews says they cycle supersonic ammo no problem.  Can't find anything about suppressed subsonic a though.  I'd like the carbine gas if it will work, input?  All of the barrels have large gas ports, around 1/8 inch.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 4:26:29 PM EDT
[#1]
no reason to do that on a 10.5"....and I have not seen any 10.5" (or many longer barrels) that use a C gas port.  Most .300blk barrels have a pistol port, in that .300 burns most its powder in the first 9".  Mine has a pistol port (8.5" barrel) and works just fine.  My 16" has a C gas port and also shoots supers just fine (haven't put any subs through it yet).
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 4:30:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I agree it seems unusual, but I have seen 3 brands like that now.  Id like the carbine gas if it will work suppressed.  

They all have 1/8 inch gas ports.  I can't imagine they would be for sale if they didn't work?  But they may not test suppressed subsonic ammo...
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 5:07:09 PM EDT
[#3]
anything shorter then 16 inches go with a pistol gas.  not sure why they are making carbine gas for a 10.5 inch 300blk but someone did not do their research, in my opinion.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 6:09:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
anything shorter then 16 inches go with a pistol gas. not sure why they are making carbine gas for a 10.5 inch 300blk but someone did not do their research, in my opinion.
View Quote

This.

Seems odd you were even able to find a carbine length 10.5.  Link please as I would like to see who's making one.  

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 6:12:29 PM EDT
[#5]
300 BLK should have pistol gas.  Even at 16"
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 6:19:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Anderson has one listed on their website and I saw Two no name examples at a local gun show yesterday....  

I'm not smart, but is there any reason I couldn't cut a single ring from a FSB and pin it to allow using carbine or mid length handguards on a pistol barrel?  Ie with the gas block and tube inside the carbine/ midlength handguard?
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 6:43:50 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Anderson has one listed on their website and I saw Two no name examples at a local gun show yesterday....  

I'm not smart, but is there any reason I couldn't cut a single ring from a FSB and pin it to allow using carbine or mid length handguards on a pistol barrel?  Ie with the gas block and tube inside the carbine/ midlength handguard?
View Quote

Yes, because you'd probably cut into where the gas tube is pinned,

They make low profile gas blocks.  My 300 has a pistol gas system with a 7" hand guard
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 8:58:55 AM EDT
[#8]
So nobody has used one?  Seems to be quite a few of them out there....  Anderson barrel
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 9:23:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sure you can - google up "AR-15 Dissipator" - while some of these used rifle length gas systems on shorter barrels, most had a carbine length gas system, and a extra FSB to hold the handguards. Look here for a pic...

As to the 300 BLK barrel - the research I've done says if you are only looking to use supersonic ammo - either will work. If you want to shoot both subsonic & supersonic, you either want a pistol length gas system (barrel length doesn't matter), or a barrel at least 16" if you want to use a carbine length gas system.

I plan on using both, and plan on hunting with it. I've decided to go with a 10.3", pistol length gas system barrel - enough velocity when I want supersonic, small & handy enough for subsonic, even with a suppressor.

Good luck,
Bob S.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 9:52:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
So nobody has used one?  Seems to be quite a few of them out there....  Anderson barrel
View Quote

Wow that is silly to even offer this.  

Pistol length gas system is a must imo especially if you run sub's.  Sure a carbine length gas system may work with a 16".  But why chance it when there are plenty of pistol lengths out there.

Link Posted: 2/2/2015 12:55:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

sure.  Look up BCM "Kino"  Same concept with 5.56.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 11:26:07 AM EDT
[#12]
IIRC, wasn't ADCO doing a run of 300BLK dissipator short barrels?

pistol length gas system (the way it should be) with a carbine FSP.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 7:10:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

They have those on their website.... I like that idea.  I want normal carbine or midlength handguards is the whole point of my post.  

I still can't imagine multiple companies make ~10 inch 300blk barrels with carbine gas if it doesn't work.  I also am surprised that nobody who has read this has tried it.  I'm tempted to try myself....  

The 1/8 inch gas port seems a huge increase over the typical gas port sizes, nobody thinks that can compensate for the lost length after the gas port?
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 10:42:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

They have those on their website.... I like that idea.  I want normal carbine or midlength handguards is the whole point of my post.  

I still can't imagine multiple companies make ~10 inch 300blk barrels with carbine gas if it doesn't work.  I also am surprised that nobody who has read this has tried it.  I'm tempted to try myself....  

The 1/8 inch gas port seems a huge increase over the typical gas port sizes, nobody thinks that can compensate for the lost length after the gas port?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not as simple as that (just opening the port).

It's about port size, pressure and dwell time.

All these are (or should be) taken into consideration when determining port location and size.
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 1:38:05 AM EDT
[#15]
So, if that's the case, I have a question. When I built my 300 BLK, we filed our paperwork, got our stamp, and cut the barrel down from 16" to 11.5" (it had a carbine gas system. It didn't work due to insufficient dwell time and I had to swap it out for an 11.5" with a pistol system, and I read that this is the shortest possible since the 300 BLK uses pistol powder and can't cycle 11.5" carbine. So how is it that there are now &.5 and 8.5 pistol gas system barrels that can cycle fine with this round? Is this new or what?
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 6:33:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
So, if that's the case, I have a question. When I built my 300 BLK, we filed our paperwork, got our stamp, and cut the barrel down from 16" to 11.5" (it had a carbine gas system. It didn't work due to insufficient dwell time and I had to swap it out for an 11.5" with a pistol system, and I read that this is the shortest possible since the 300 BLK uses pistol powder and can't cycle 11.5" carbine. So how is it that there are now &.5 and 8.5 pistol gas system barrels that can cycle fine with this round? Is this new or what?
View Quote

Any one that told you the 300 blk can't work in a barrel shorter then 11.5 gave you really bad information.  Been using a 9.5 and a 8.5 for several years. Functions subsonic without the suppressor.

Also the 300 blk does not use only pistol powders.  some powders it uses are also used in some magnum pistol cartridges, but some powders are in fact rifle powders, ie RL7, A1680, A5744

you did find out that a short barrel, ie shorter then 16 inches is going to have problems cycling with a carbine gas system.  which is what we are telling the OP.
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 8:44:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
you did find out that a short barrel, ie shorter then 16 inches is going to have problems cycling with a carbine gas system.  which is what we are telling the OP.
View Quote

Sometimes the interweb is like talking to a rock.  This guy shortened a barrel and did not change the gas port size.  The short carbine barrels I am asking about all have very large gas ports, much larger than any I've seen.  a 1/8 gas port is 2-5 times the area of normal gas port sizes.  I'm pretty sure it works with supersonic ammo or nobody would make them, my concern really is only subsonic ammo.  

Link Posted: 2/6/2015 11:34:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Bad thing about those large ports is they cause the barrel to lose it's accuracy faster......they wash out ahead of the gas port faster than "normal" sized ports.  I myself wouldn't want a barrel with an 1/8" hole, but YMMV.
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 12:06:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Sometimes the interweb is like talking to a rock.  This guy shortened a barrel and did not change the gas port size.  The short carbine barrels I am asking about all have very large gas ports, much larger than any I've seen.  a 1/8 gas port is 2-5 times the area of normal gas port sizes.  I'm pretty sure it works with supersonic ammo or nobody would make them, my concern really is only subsonic ammo.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If that is your concern, why not go with a reputable,  known to function supers and subs, pistol length gas barrel from the many vendors who offer them?  Plenty of good barrels to be had for not too much $$$.

I don't see these short carbine gas barrels cycling subs very easy,  or at all.  There simply won't be enough pressure and dwell time to make it feasible.

Stick with pistol length gas, and only go to a carbine gas if the barrel is 16" and you really want it.  Other than those specific factors, I see no point in going carbine gas.  Pistol length gas will run much better, hell, there's a number of 16" 300blk barrels which have pistol gas too.

This is your best option.

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 7:30:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow that is silly to even offer this.  

Pistol length gas system is a must imo especially if you run sub's.  Sure a carbine length gas system may work with a 16".  But why chance it when there are plenty of pistol lengths out there.

Weren't some of the early gas problems, (cycling suppressed and non suppressed) related to manufacturers doing this exact thing?

They never learned to not do it this way, or these are old stock?

Some of the resident .300 haters here and other sites still spout that cycling problem crap.

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 4:12:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I see many 10.5 inch barrels with carbine gas ports.  Reviews says they cycle supersonic ammo no problem.  Can't find anything about suppressed subsonic a though.  I'd like the carbine gas if it will work, input?  All of the barrels have large gas ports, around 1/8 inch.
View Quote

I am confused. You can use any type of rails in any length with say noveske 300 blackout barrels that come with a low profile gas block so why would you want carbine gas?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top