Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2015 5:49:40 PM EDT
Well with the 21st birthday coming up in a little over a year now and the ability and willingness of my favorite lgs to allow me to purchase sbrs and just hold them until I am 21 and able to fill out the paper work I'm starting to shop around for some sbrs. I am planning on ordering an mk18 but I want to order a second sbr as well. I am a die hard lwrc fan and would love to order a psd and pdw but I am worried the barrels are too short at 8.5"? Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that the 556 round loses a lot of volocity when fired out of a barrel less than what is it 10.3"? I don't want to have any issues with anything like that at all so I'm hesitant of ordering the lwrcs. I am planning on ordering a suppressor as well and I know that piston guns shoot way cleaner suppressed than a di so I don't want to have the mk18 shooting incredibly dirty if I don't have to hahaha. So I'm curious as to what else is out there that would be comparable to Daniel defense and lwrc in quality? I don't really want to spend more than $2600 on an sbr at this point. Also I want something well tested and proven not some obscure brand that is being produced in a closet and doesn't have any real testing done in the field and no true stress/quality tests done to it. I'm interested in both di and piston as well. Thank you all Im advance!
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 3:18:03 AM EDT
[#1]
What about a Spikes Tactical Compressor. It is a little more than what you wanted to spend but you get your SBR and Silencer all in one package.
http://www.spikestactical.com/st-compressor-sbr-556-nfa-p-491.html
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 7:31:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Get a Colt (or any other) lower and throw the DD Mk18 upper on it.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 8:20:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Build one yourself. It's really no different than any other AR except it has a short bbl.

You should be able to build an SBR before you're 21, and the paperwork will come back faster on eforms.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 9:36:04 AM EDT
[#4]
KAC SR15 CQB
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 10:23:03 AM EDT
[#5]
I would really recommend waiting until you can actually take possession of the SBR before shelling out a couple thousand dollars.

Will ATF 41-P be implemented? Almost certainly.

Will your local LEO sign off? Will they still be in office when you're 21?

Too many unknowns.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 10:38:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I would really recommend waiting until you can actually take possession of the SBR before shelling out a couple thousand dollars.

Too many unknowns.
View Quote

Or build your own, get it 30 days from now. No unknowns.

SBR a decent lower and build it up with a quality upper and lower parts.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 10:40:47 AM EDT
[#7]
18-20 can form 1 an sbr. Set up a trust. Efile. Be shooting by Easter.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:09:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Hmmm it's hard for me to believe that there is no good sbrs out there? I have thought about doing a build but the idea of piecing together an sbr with a bunch of different brand parts worries me a little? I could build a piston for roughly a grand but I was hoping to be able to just buy a nice one from a good brand hahaha. Maybe they aren't as plentiful as I thought?
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:25:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:39:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Hmmm it's hard for me to believe that there is no good sbrs out there? I have thought about doing a build but the idea of piecing together an sbr with a bunch of different brand parts worries me a little?
View Quote

Where did you hear that there are no good SBR's out there? That's hogwash. There are PLENTY.

And there's nothing wrong with a "built" SBR. Buy a rifle lower, Form 1 it via eForms (should come back in 30-40 days, and you only have to be 18), and then buy an upper. It's quick and easy, and you don't have to wait 6+ months like you would if you bought one on a Form 4 from your dealer. Plus you save $50 from their transfer fees.

I just turned 21, and this is my SBR that I "pieced together." It doesn't worry me at all. LMT makes great stuff if you want to go that route--on par with DD and LWRC.

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:40:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Hmmm it's hard for me to believe that there is no good sbrs out there? I have thought about doing a build but the idea of piecing together an sbr with a bunch of different brand parts worries me a little? I could build a piston for roughly a grand but I was hoping to be able to just buy a nice one from a good brand hahaha. Maybe they aren't as plentiful as I thought?
View Quote

For ARs there are plenty of choices. My main point is you can build an AR just as nice without the wait and hassles. Plus factory SBRs are often more expensive and difficult to source.

It's the same as building any other AR, which if you've never done is easy. Buy a decent lower, form 1 it, slap any quality upper on it. Theres no reason to be "worried" about it. If you doubt your ability to build it then buy a complete lower, E form 1 it, slap the upper you want on it and is as easy as dissembling it fire cleaning. And you'll be able to shoot it 30-40 days from the time you start the process. Heck, if you want a matching gun, but a compete LMT lower and once the form clears put a compete LMT upper on it.

Otherwise you need to wait on a form 3 dealer to your dealer, then a paper form 4 from your dealer to you while paying $75 on the transfer.

SBRs are available from knights, bcm, dd, spikes, colt, sig, lmt, and the list goes on.

Non AR sbrs make more sense. But factory AR SBRS  are a bit on the excessive side of it since they're as easy to put together as anything.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:41:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Heck, if you want a matching gun, buy a compete LMT lower and once the form clears put a compete LMT upper on it.
View Quote

Great idea. I like the way you think.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 4:04:39 PM EDT
[#13]

Wow!! Making me rethink my LMT MRP SBR build.  How short is the first one?  

"Take My Money" comes to mind.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 6:38:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

....get a suppressor for 21st b-day
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 7:15:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Do you like these uppers?  I have been happier with LMT 10.5s and BCM 11.5s than I was with my DD MK18 during the brief time that I used it.  Just seemed kinda harsh esp suppressed and this was before I was aware of the gas port "issues" with these things.  The RPM FA/suppressed was unreal.  Probably could have done some buffer/spring changes but kinda was wanting to move toward the 11.5/12.5 length at that point anyways.

ETA: obviously kinda a dumb question since you did suggest one ... but just wondering how you feel about how they handle/what, if any, changes you would make to the factory config
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 7:16:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

This or build one.

I love the MK18 look but prefer the centurion C4 rail to the RIS so I built my own.

But for an out of the box upper the MK18 is tits.

For a factory SBR - the DD MK18 and LWRC offerings are nice.

Of course the Grail is a 11.5 KAC
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 7:18:28 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a Daniel Defense mk18 and love it
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 7:21:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Do you like these uppers?  I have been happier with LMT 10.5s and BCM 11.5s than I was with my DD MK18 during the brief time that I used it.  Just seemed kinda harsh esp suppressed.  The RPM FA/suppressed was unreal.  Probably could have done some buffer/spring changes but kinda was wanting to move toward the 11.5/12.5 length at that point anyways.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you like these uppers?  I have been happier with LMT 10.5s and BCM 11.5s than I was with my DD MK18 during the brief time that I used it.  Just seemed kinda harsh esp suppressed.  The RPM FA/suppressed was unreal.  Probably could have done some buffer/spring changes but kinda was wanting to move toward the 11.5/12.5 length at that point anyways.

The civilian DD MK18s are known to have hogged out gasports (esp compared to the mil ones).
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 9:15:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 9:41:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Colt/Specialized Armament MK18

Or a Colt 6933

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 10:37:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Damn sexy. Do you have a scholarship program or organ donation system by any chance?

View All Quotes

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 3:06:50 AM EDT
[#22]
What about the issues with loss of bullet effectiveness being fired from a barrel less than 10.5"? I want the round to be extremely effective and I have heard that anything under that the round loses a lot of effectiveness due to the loss of velocity or something like that? Anyone ever have issues with anything like this? I certainly don't want to buy an sbr that can't sling a round out to 300 meters effectively. If this isn't an issue or anything I would get the two lwrcs as I'm a huge fan of theirs.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 9:50:47 AM EDT
[#23]
What are you shooting at?  If your shooting targets/ ringing steel you will be fine.  If you need terminal velocity at 300 then you want a longer barrel or different caliber.

What do you currently own for a rifle?  What do you like about it and what do you not like?

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 1:20:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Currently I'm running two lwrc's, 1x 16" ic enhanced and 1x 14.7 sl. I love everything about the lwrcs. I have no complaints at all. They work flawlessly from all my experiences with them as well as my other friends experiences with them. I love their barrels, pistons, look, lack of weight, and extreme reliability. I do want lethality up to 300 meters if I can. I mainly shoot target but I live with the idea that you never know what's going to happen in this world so it's better to be prepared then not! I don't want a rifle that can't carry its own weight in a fight. I know that the mk18s are battle tested and I do like that about them! I want something to be realiable and lethal not just something capable of poking a hole in a piece of paper hahaha. How long of barrel am I going to need to have to have lethality out to around 300 meters? I know the mk18 is lethal to that range correct? I am mainly looking for the barrels to be around the 10.5-12" mark if possibe? I know that di is really dirty suppressed compared to a piston so I am hoping to find something on the same tier as lwrc as far as quality and reliability goes with a piston but I am still going to buy more di as well so I'm looking for stuff on the same tier as lwrc just di.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 2:22:57 PM EDT
[#25]
" />

Colt 6933 SBR lower with DD 10.3 MK18 upper and KAC QDSS NT4
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 2:27:29 PM EDT
[#26]
</a>" />

Colt 6933 SBR lower #2 with Rare Crane Colt MK18 Mod 0 factory upper

Upper is all personal preference but the Colt lowers make great SBR hosts
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 3:03:31 PM EDT
[#27]
A Mk18 will certainly be lethal out that far.  There are better options than a 5.56 sbr if you are doing a lot of shooting out there.  Its a toolbox and nothing will do everything perfectly.
I thought the Lwrcs that I have played with are heavy, that is usually the tradeoff with a piston.  I would look at something like a Knight's armament sbr or the previously mentioned mk18.  High Caliber Sales is run by a former Crane armorer who builds them to the exact spec that SOCOM uses.  They are around 1200 for an upper.  With advanced new lubricants (I use fireclean) they don't get as dirty as they use too.

I would just Form 1 your LWRC lowers.

My latest SBR is a SAN Swiss Arms 553 that I have form 1'ed. Its about the most fun you can have with your clothes on.  And unlike a ar pattern sbr it will hold and maybe gain value over time.  With a 9in barrel it's lethality is compromised at distance but if you hang onto your 16" gun you don't have to worry about that.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 3:06:30 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

http://<a href=http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/ag115/Dan_Petrecca_III/Mobile%20Uploads/20120406_143525_zpsa4831f99.jpg</a>" />

Colt 6933 SBR lower #2 with Rare Crane Colt MK18 Mod 0 factory upper

Upper is all personal preference but the Colt lowers make great SBR hosts
View Quote
Is that what Specialized Armament sells here:

http://www.specializedarmament.com/products/51_Upper_Receiver_Group_Colt_MK18-954-283.html
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 3:11:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
A Mk18 will certainly be lethal out that far.  There are better options than a 5.56 sbr if you are doing a lot of shooting out there.  Its a toolbox and nothing will do everything perfectly. I thought the Lwrcs that I have played with are heavy, that is usually the tradeoff with a piston.  I would look at something like a Knight's armament sbr or the previously mentioned mk18.  High Caliber Sales is run by a former Crane armorer who builds them to the exact spec that SOCOM uses.  They are around 1200 for an upper.  With advanced new lubricants (I use fireclean) they don't get as dirty as they use too.

My latest SBR is a SAN Swiss Arms 553 that I have form 1'ed. Its about the most fun you can have with your clothes on.  And unlike a ar pattern sbr it will hold and maybe gain value over time.  With a 9in barrel it's lethality is compromised at distance but if you hang onto your 16" gun you don't have to worry about that.
View Quote

What is the lethality range of something with say a 9" barrel like lwrcs psd and pdw? I don't plan on selling any of my lwrcs ever hahaha so I'll always have them!
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 3:18:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Currently I'm running two lwrc's, 1x 16" ic enhanced and 1x 14.7 sl. I love everything about the lwrcs. I have no complaints at all. They work flawlessly from all my experiences with them as well as my other friends experiences with them. I love their barrels, pistons, look, lack of weight, and extreme reliability. I do want lethality up to 300 meters if I can. I mainly shoot target but I live with the idea that you never know what's going to happen in this world so it's better to be prepared then not! I don't want a rifle that can't carry its own weight in a fight. I know that the mk18s are battle tested and I do like that about them! I want something to be realiable and lethal not just something capable of poking a hole in a piece of paper hahaha. How long of barrel am I going to need to have to have lethality out to around 300 meters? I know the mk18 is lethal to that range correct? I am mainly looking for the barrels to be around the 10.5-12" mark if possibe? I know that di is really dirty suppressed compared to a piston so I am hoping to find something on the same tier as lwrc as far as quality and reliability goes with a piston but I am still going to buy more di as well so I'm looking for stuff on the same tier as lwrc just di.
View Quote

10.5" is my minimum. I use an 11.5" and love it. 12.5" would be a great "one-rifle" choice. Anything from 10.3-12.5" would be fine for what you want.

Heres, because I've got some time and I'm nice I'LL do some work for you.
Piston guns
LWRC makes 10.5" and 12.7" uppers. Also, 10.5" ICA5 version
LMT makes their MRP in a 10.5" DI and a 12.5" Piston
Sig makes a 10.5" 516.
PWS makes uppers in 10.75" and 12.75"

Also, if you want DI
LMT makes 10.5" uppers.
KAC sells 11.5" uppers.
Colt has the 11.5" 6933 (Colt Commando) and 10.5" 6940 (monolithic upper)
Noveske sells uppers in 10.5"
DD has the MK18
BCM sells lots of 11.5" and 12.5" uppers

Form 1 any lower. Slap the upper of your choice on it, and you're good to go.
Any of the uppers above will work perfectly for what you want and I wouldn't hesitate to put my life on the line with any of the above guns.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 3:22:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

What is the lethality range of something with say a 9" barrel like lwrcs psd and pdw? I don't plan on selling any of my lwrcs ever hahaha so I'll always have them!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A Mk18 will certainly be lethal out that far.  There are better options than a 5.56 sbr if you are doing a lot of shooting out there.  Its a toolbox and nothing will do everything perfectly. I thought the Lwrcs that I have played with are heavy, that is usually the tradeoff with a piston.  I would look at something like a Knight's armament sbr or the previously mentioned mk18.  High Caliber Sales is run by a former Crane armorer who builds them to the exact spec that SOCOM uses.  They are around 1200 for an upper.  With advanced new lubricants (I use fireclean) they don't get as dirty as they use too.

You can hit something that far out. But, depending on ammo selection it might not have the velocity for actual expansion at most ranges. I've shot 7.5 and 9" 5.56 guns, and I'll take 10"+ any day over it. There's a huge difference (to me) in the blast and concussion of a 9" 5.56 and a 10" 5.56. Plus, when you drop below 10" you start severely limiting suppressor choices.
Once you shorten below 10" you're also shortening the gas system and usually it shortens the life of the weapon considerably.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 3:24:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

You can hit something that far out. But, depending on ammo selection it might not have the velocity for actual expansion at most ranges. I've shot 7.5 and 9" 5.56 guns, and I'll take 10"+ any day over it. There's a huge difference (to me) in the blast and concussion of a 9" 5.56 and a 10" 5.56. Plus, when you drop below 10" you start severely limiting suppressor choices.
Once you shorten below 10" you're also shortening the gas system and usually it shortens the life of the weapon considerably.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A 10.5 with brake mount hurts my soul unsuppressed.  Can't imagine going shorter than that.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 3:45:02 PM EDT
[#33]
I can hit 8" round steel gongs at 200yds from standing with the MK18mod1 and suppressor. I believe the 'lethality' of the 5.56 uppers depends on barrel length and ammo selection. I prefer to run my SBRs suppressed so 10.3 is the shortest i can go without risking damage to the can. Honestly any top quality manufactured barrel will perform it just depends on how short you want to go and what distances you want to take it to. The one upgrade that makes the biggest difference is adding a quality aftermarket trigger.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 3:47:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Oh awesome Thankyou everyone! I really appreciate all the help! Now it's time to get some stuff ordered:)
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 3:48:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Oh awesome Thankyou everyone! I really appreciate all the help! Now it's time to get some stuff ordered:)
View Quote

What did you decide on?
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 5:16:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

What did you decide on?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What did you decide on?

I am going to go for an ica5 upper and buy an ic lower and slap the two together along with a dd mk18 to start.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 5:46:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

What did you decide on?
View Quote

I am going to go for an ica5 upper and buy an ic lower and slap the two together along with a dd mk18 to start.
View Quote

Nice. Plus, you'll have it before you turn 21, and probably slightly cheaper than a factory gun.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 1:39:49 PM EDT
[#38]

So does this mean that you guys are coming out with a 12" M-LOK rail as well??? I REALLY need this for a project.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 3:09:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 12:27:25 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

My ass
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 11:16:45 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Well with the 21st birthday coming up in a little over a year now and the ability and willingness of my favorite lgs to allow me to purchase sbrs and just hold them until I am 21 and able to fill out the paper work I'm starting to shop around for some sbrs. I am planning on ordering an mk18 but I want to order a second sbr as well. I am a die hard lwrc fan and would love to order a psd and pdw but I am worried the barrels are too short at 8.5"? Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that the 556 round loses a lot of volocity when fired out of a barrel less than what is it 10.3"? I don't want to have any issues with anything like that at all so I'm hesitant of ordering the lwrcs. I am planning on ordering a suppressor as well and I know that piston guns shoot way cleaner suppressed than a di so I don't want to have the mk18 shooting incredibly dirty if I don't have to hahaha. So I'm curious as to what else is out there that would be comparable to Daniel defense and lwrc in quality? I don't really want to spend more than $2600 on an sbr at this point. Also I want something well tested and proven not some obscure brand that is being produced in a closet and doesn't have any real testing done in the field and no true stress/quality tests done to it. I'm interested in both di and piston as well. Thank you all Im advance!
View Quote

Don't buy any suppressors now.  Wait until you turn 21. With all the uncertainty surrounding 41P, you don't want to be stuck with something you cant take possession of.  

For the rifle - go get a 6920 and shoot it for a year.  Then when you turn 21, you can efile a form 1 and get a new upper.  You will have a legal sbr in your hands within a month vs 4 or 5 months if you go the factory SBR route.  You can even send the barrel to a gunsmith and get it cut to 10.3 or 11.5 if you want a complete colt gun.  You can do that with any brand you choose.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 11:22:19 AM EDT
[#42]
View All Quotes

Looks great! I just picked up a 7.5 and I also have a Halo. I Also just filed my first Eform1 for a 300BLK w/8" and a 308 w/12.5 Build Sheet cost total is $915 for the 300BLK with Aero Precision Upper & Lower, Spike's premium lower kit, Magpul stock & Geisselle SSA-E trigger no sights or hand guard. included yet. So you can build your own and save enough to pay for a good Suppressor.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 11:25:04 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you dont feel comfortable building your own, you can always buy a complete upper from a reputable company such as BCM, LMT, KAC, etc.  

Unless you don't like the trust engraving on the side, i would recommend going the form 1 route vs the form 4 route. Its easier and quicker.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 11:29:14 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
What about the issues with loss of bullet effectiveness being fired from a barrel less than 10.5"? I want the round to be extremely effective and I have heard that anything under that the round loses a lot of effectiveness due to the loss of velocity or something like that? Anyone ever have issues with anything like this? I certainly don't want to buy an sbr that can't sling a round out to 300 meters effectively. If this isn't an issue or anything I would get the two lwrcs as I'm a huge fan of theirs.
View Quote

I cant quote the technical data off of the top of my head, but you can look that up pretty easily.  What i can tell you is that i use a 11.5 for hog hunting and it kills them just as dead as a 16 inch without any noticeable difference in damage or wounding power.  Where you will start to see the difference is once you get out past 300 yards.  The bullet starts to drop a whole lot faster out of a shorter barrel vs a longer barrel.  With that being said, the 11.5 has more than enough power to kill something and Ive killed multiple hogs in the 200 yard range with my 11.5.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 11:31:11 AM EDT
[#45]

View Quote

Me too and I love mine. Incredibly reliable.

Mine looks very similar....T1, but flip up sights, CTR, w/ a SF X300 Ultra.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 12:18:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 6:44:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top