Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/26/2015 5:34:23 PM EDT
I am in the process of SBR'ing several things, but have yet to SBR a .22. I recently purchased an ARX-160 .22 pistol on clearance for $180. I've taken it out and run it with and without a suppressor and it's been 100% reliable. It is made by Walther/Umarex, but unlike the bulk of their .22 clones (ie. the MP5, Uzi, etc...) it has a solid barrel, not the thin barrel shroud over the barrel. It appears to be of high quality and has the look, feel and weight of the 556 big brother. I have located all of the parts to add a stock to the pistol and am considering SBR'ing it (obviously, I would be waiting for the stamp to come back before purchasing the stock parts). My question to you is whether this is worth or or if I should, instead, go with a more heavily tested rimfire, like a Ruger 10/22 variant.  I actually like the ARX quite allot and also have the full-sized .22 rifle.  Anyway, I'd appreciate the input. Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 3:23:38 AM EDT
[#1]
if you like it a lot and realize you may never get your money out of it if you sell it, go ahead.   Sounds like it would be $380 plus conversion parts...
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 10:39:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I REALLY like my ARX-160 .22. If I had one of the pistols I would definitely want to SBR it. Go for it dude, and post pics!
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:08:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Do it man. .22 rifles are among the easiest to convert since most of them are blowback and require little tuning.  I have an SBR'ed ARX-100 and it is awesome.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 11:05:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks all. I just submitted a Form 1 for another project, but I think I'm going for the ARX. It's just too cool and too reliable to keep in that pistol form. I appreciate everyone's input; thanks.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 12:48:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Just out of curiosity, has any consensus formed on the best location to engrave on this gun (upper/lower/bbl.)?
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 8:27:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just out of curiosity, has any consensus formed on the best location to engrave on this gun (upper/lower/bbl.)?
View Quote

I answered your PM but did not realize your question was this basic. You CANNOT engrave the lower, it is not serialized. ATF says you may either engrave the receiver or the barrel, but the barrel engraving still needs to be externally visible so I would recommend against the barrel. You should engrave the upper, realistically and legally speaking. Now, since the ARX upper receiver is very large, there are a lot of available areas. I already had my Bushmaster ACR engraved on the top rail and it's very incognito. So I chose to have the ARX done on the bottom pic rail, at the very front of the gun.

Here's the top of my ACR:

Now just envision that on the bottom pic rail just forward of the removable T-rail cover. You can't do the top rail on the ARX since it is removable from the serialized receiver.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top